"If you're going to steal..."

Once again, he's photographing a printed page, not a photograph.

And, once again, just like in 1910, people are too close-minded to allow one individuals notion of what art can be if it isn't acceptable to them.

Duchamp opened a very large debate, which has been going on nearly one-hundred years. Not in the art world though, we've gotten over it long ago.

I guess the art world isn't too concerned with policing its own. I'm in academia and I find it very disturbing that no one at the Guggenheim bothered to contact the original photographer, Jim Krantz.

Does mean I'm free to photograph or digitally capture Ansel Adam's work, then digitally re-resolve them to room sized prints for commercial gain?

Happens in other areas also

Happens in other areas also

Greetings:
According to the source of this web page these are the fonts we are reading "font: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;" Helvetica is a standard font, perhaps the most widely used font in the world. Arial is basically an imitation Helvetica published by Microsoft. The source code allows any of these fonts to be used, depending upon your particular setup. There are also Helvetica rip off (especially in the pre digital world of typesetting, believe it or not) such as Megaron, Heldustry, CG Triumvirate, Vega, and even Geneva. This is just a few.
Ethical or not, there is no (US) law that prevents the creation of Helvetica look alikes. You just can't use the same name.
This is just an analogy to the photography issue raised in the NY Times article which I read yesterday. But you can see that its not really different. BTW, Helvetica is a trademark of Linotype AG and/or its subsidiaries.
Cheers.

Ah, Microsnot: the master of taking somebody else's idea and repackaging it as your own. And if that fails, "buy them out".

Well, they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Funny thing is, usually that isn't flattery, but a slap in the face if the work is or can be your livelihood.

And this is why God invented lawyers. :D

I think Prince's shot is more like a 'decoupage' just bigger than most used to cover tin cans converted to pencil holders. People photocopy regularly and I'm afraid there's little will in the courts to deal with the 'small stuff' however $1.2M isn't small

I still think Krantz should take a photo of the MoMA poster for the Prince show, make 'art' posters and sell them for $8.95 each. I'd be tempted to show my middle finger in the poster if I was Krantz, available as a limited edition of say 500 ;D

If I missed it in my run-through of the thread so far, I apologize, but I don't think anyone has raised the old truism,

"Talent borrows. Genius steals."

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
Roger Hicks said:
If I missed it in my run-through of the thread so far, I apologize, but I don't think anyone has raised the old truism,

"Talent borrows. Genius steals."

Cheers,

R.

We weren't talking about Picasso.. ;- )

I wonder if there is a rule when you go to the exhibit about no photography allowed? Wouldn't want to copy it....

patrickjames said:
...Museums like this type of work because it creates a buzz, which bolsters the acceptance of what he does even more....Patrick

And generates admissions. A museum after all needs to sell tickets, and get folks into the 'gift' shop.

Back