Ilford Pan 400

hap

Well-known
Local time
7:14 PM
When I searched the data base for this film all I got back was HP 5+ articles
I was gifted some Ilford P"AN 400 . Is there any problem shooting with it. What is it like? Would contrast be better to have a light yellow filter?

What would be wrong with shooting it? It’s not going to blowup in your camera.

Actually I’ve never heard of it. Is there an expiration date on the box? That would tell you if it’s an old or new product? Any development instructions? If there’s development data compare it to HP5 and Kentmere 400. My guess is it might have been produced for a specific market and would be one or the other films.

I wouldn’t use a filter, why would you? Just shoot a roll and see how it looks.

I use it when I have some, and like it as much as HP5. In fact I fail to see any differences between the two films, and develop the in the same dev, sometimes mixed (HP5 and Pan400 in the same tank) with no ill effects.

Ilford Pan 400 was a film that Ilford made before they began making the Harman branded films. It was a budget-priced film, cheaper than HP5 and Delta. There was also a 100 speed version. They haven't made it in many years, maybe 10; I can't remember for sure. If its is expired for a long time, I'd probably give a stop more exposure to be sure and develop it for the times listed in the box.

Back when it was made, people speculated that it was an older formulation of HP5; it was a little grainier than the current HP5, much like the Harman 400.

Ilford Pan 400 is still in production currently. Here is one roll on my table (expiry date is Oct 2026):

IMG_1506.jpg

It is definitely available in the China market as a budget B&W film at around US$5/roll.

I have ordered 10 rolls from China about a year ago. My observation is that it is a low-medium contrast film with bigger grains than HP5. I like it better than Kentmere 400. Here is one picture I took with this Ilford Pan 400 developed in D96:

53176054669_deccc8fef5_o.jpg

I know someone has successfully pushed this film to ASA1600 with DD-X and still get very fine result. It is a shame that this cheap and good film is not easily available like the Fomapan.

If you want to test it with out committing an entire roll load your camera and shoot 4-6 frames. Don’t remind but take it in the darkroom and clip off that segment of film and load it in your processing tank. Run the clip and see how it looks. Expose and develop the rest based on thevv VF test.

Don't process my own film. The Darkroom down the street.

Not sure how I came by this film but I threw away the box before looking at expiration date. I recently bought a F6 and I've been looking into my fridge and freezer for the lesser cost stuff to put into the Nikon while I get familiar with the F6 "cockpit".

I did read somewhere that Pan 400 is everywhere in Asia.

Don't process my own film. The Darkroom down the street.

Not sure how I came by this film but I threw away the box before looking at expiration date. I recently bought a F6 and I've been looking into my fridge and freezer for the lesser cost stuff to put into the Nikon while I get familiar with the F6 "cockpit".

I did read somewhere that Pan 400 is everywhere in Asia.
Yes, apparently it’s meant to sell in poor countries 😉

Ilford Pan 400 is still in production currently. Here is one roll on my table (expiry date is Oct 2026):

View attachment 4831084

It is definitely available in the China market as a budget B&W film at around US$5/roll.

I have ordered 10 rolls from China about a year ago. My observation is that it is a low-medium contrast film with bigger grains than HP5. I like it better than Kentmere 400. Here is one picture I took with this Ilford Pan 400 developed in D96:

53176054669_deccc8fef5_o.jpg

I know someone has successfully pushed this film to ASA1600 with DD-X and still get very fine result. It is a shame that this cheap and good film is not easily available like the Fomapan.

Interesting. They used to sell it in the US, but stopped when Kentmere came out. What's the difference you saw between Ilford Pan and Kentmere?

Interesting. They used to sell it in the US, but stopped when Kentmere came out. What's the difference you saw between Ilford Pan and Kentmere?
It's more about the 'classic look' of this film produced that I like over Kentmere 400's grey and dull looking. I am a newbie when come to DIY B&W processing so I have not got anything remotely closed to what Steven Tanno has achieved at ASA1600

Last edited:
Ilford HP5+ comes out gray and muddy for me.
However my pre-1989 Ilford HP5 (no "+") negatives always looked great.

I ordered some Ilford Pan 400 in hopes it is more like what was once my favorite BW film.

Chris

B+W negative film is actually made for printing, not for scanning. It would be nice if the film industry produced a B+W film which is specially made to scan.

PAN100 and PAN400 were my standard films while I lived in China. Then, my Nikon LS50 still worked - scanning the PAN films was rather easy, as the film seems a bit "thinner" than, i. e. FP4 or HP5. Of course, still exposure/development needs to be right.

I can't see big differences between PAN400 and Kentmere 400. But that may be just me.

Films with a clear base are said to be better for scanning, but as always much depends on exposure and developing. Most Rollei and Adox films have a clear base and the pricing is sort of middle of the road. I also like them because they have very little curl.

Let's not forget this stuff...
I bought these within the last 10 years...expire date 2/2003
I recall the cassettes Ilford used at the time were reusable...I had a bunch back then but have no clue now where they are.

20240110_191501.jpg

Back