Illustrated articles

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
8:42 AM
I wrote two new philosophy/ politics/ economics pieces for my .eu site, Cities and Villages I and Cities and Villages II. Then I thought they might work better with some illustrations, so I illustrated them. The next step was to speculate on whether people might be interested in how I chose the illustrations, and the background to them. The result was Illustrating "Cities and Villages", which also provides links to three short stories set in the village in which I live. Now, all three pieces are up.

There's an awful lot of work in all this (and in the short stories, etc.), so I hope people like what I've been doing. I also fell to wondering, though, if the freedom to do this sort of thing is what might result from my suggestions about Universal Basic Income in Cities and Villages II. After all, state pensions (which are the only pensions Frances and I have) are a UBI given after a certain age.

Once you get past the arguments about affordability, it seems there are two responses to UBI. One is that it will free us all up to be more creative and less consumerist, creating essays, pictures, short stories and more (music and dance, for example, though I'd not be much use at creating either). The other possibility is that we will all sit on our backsides and do nothing at all times. No doubt some will be more creative, neighbourly, etc., and others will just slob out, but I can't help feeling that people's reactions probably reflect their own creativity or lack of it. Read the articles and see what you think.

Cheers,

R.

Where I'm, those who worked for government getting a lot more than just UBI on retirement. Those who worked all of their life to support it (by paying of 50+% of taxes) are often seen buying rotten fruits and vegetables in cheapest food stores.
We just spoke about with my wife yesterday. Old married couples are discriminated in Canada by getting less money from government comparing to single person. Just like my relatives did it in USSR, we might need to get divorced to fool the system.

My father still works, it is his way to creativity. If I could find here job (while age discrimination is well present in Canada) as long as I'm able to work, I'd rather work as pizza delivery boy.
We have one old person who worked as this in our town, one day dead while on delivery. I wrote story about it, in Russian.

I wrote two new philosophy/ politics/ economics pieces for my .eu site, Cities and Villages I and Cities and Villages II..................... Now, all three pieces are up. ....................... Read the articles and see what you think..

Roger: I have these bookmarked so I can go read them at my leisure with a clear head and the ability to really focus on your message.

Other posters: Or, should I spend my time on flicker analyzing various lens signatures and dreaming about some exotic lens that I will never buy because that could result in me going out and actually making photos.

Can you elaborate on the use of word Indian in your caption "Wiring in the villages can look a bit Indian..." for me Roger?

Not sure what statement is being made about the wiring...

I expect Roger's alluding to wiring on the Indian subcontinent, which has an (in)famous reputation in Britain. Google "India wiring" images and be very afraid...!

Can you elaborate on the use of word Indian in your caption "Wiring in the villages can look a bit Indian..." for me Roger?

Not sure what statement is being made about the wiring...
Rich has it. I had assumed that public wiring in India was sufficiently notorious that it needed no explanation. If you actually went to India you'd understand in minutes! Sorry for not being clearer.

Mind you, private wiring can also be a bit interesting in both India and France. A friend bought a house in a French village; there was an absolute rat's nest of wiring around the consumer unit (the place where the power comes in). He called an electrician who looked at it; asked quite slowly and thoughtfully, "Does it work?"; and upon being assured that did, said, "Well, in that case I'd just leave it if I were you."

Cheers,

R.

Roger, I really appreciate your writing, I find it somewhat relaxing and thought provoking.

About you final paragraph, those who are creative are likely healthier and probably live longer than the couch potatoes, costing the government more in UBI but less in healthcare. As far as the government is concerned, it's a loose loose proposition, but I don't think they have a line entry for non financial community benefit in their budget.

Rich has it. I had assumed that public wiring in India was sufficiently notorious that it needed no explanation. If you actually went to India you'd understand in minutes! Sorry for not being clearer.

Mind you, private wiring can also be a bit interesting in both India and France. A friend bought a house in a French village; there was an absolute rat's nest of wiring around the consumer unit (the place where the power comes in). He called an electrician who looked at it; asked quite slowly and thoughtfully, "Does it work?"; and upon being assured that did, said, "Well, in that case I'd just leave it if I were you."

Same thing happened to a friend of mine who bought a place in a village in the foothills of the Massif Centrale. After a few months he also noticed he was not receiving any electricity bills. I am not sure what happened after that.

Marty

Enjoyed your thoughtful writing on city and village life, Roger. Advantages to each at various points and times on the journey. Illustrations enhance the reading.

Roger, as usual an interesting read. Personally I'm a "city" person, always been living in such environment. When I travel and visit small villages I feel the "charme" they have, the idea of a small village with an artist colony is very inspiring (I was last march in Ahrenshoop north Germany where such a community was alive).

But I'm too used to have markets, supermarkets (I rarely use them) and shops just behind the corner.
And meantime I complain about too much traffic, too many traffic lights, no parking where I need them to be (!) etc etc.

Thanks for your interesting writing which will let me something to think :)

robert

Enjoyed your thoughtful writing on city and village life, Roger. Advantages to each at various points and times on the journey. Illustrations enhance the reading.
Thanks to everyone for the assorted kind words, and thanks to you particularly because I really wasn't sure about the pictures.

Yes, I think that it's important to live in different places at different stages in one's life -- though it's also interesting to reflect that whereas an adolescent or young adult is often concerned that too many people know too much about them in a village or small town, the truth is normally that outside their immediate family and friends, very few people care what they do as long as it isn't overtly antisocial. Because we are obsessed with ourselves when we are young, we assume that everyone else is too; and we mistake our own interest in our close friends (and theirs in us) for wider society.

Cheers,

R.

. . . But I'm too used to have markets, supermarkets (I rarely use them) and shops just behind the corner.
And meantime I complain about too much traffic, too many traffic lights, no parking where I need them to be (!) etc etc. . . .
Dear Robert,

There's a saying which I understand is of Spanish origin, and which I have always loved since I first heard it nearly 40 years ago: "Take what you want, and pay for it, sayeth the Lord."

Cheers,

R.

Thanks to everyone for the assorted kind words, and thanks to you particularly because I really wasn't sure about the pictures.
I think the photographs go perfectly with your text. Not all writing benefits from being illustrated, but this is an instance of text and pictures complementing each other, working hand in glove...

RE: Cities and Villages II: UBI hasn't worked here in the US; we already have it. We have welfare and social security but also the freedom to not take those avenues. It seems to me that, at least here, the artistic and creative people are not on welfare or SSI.

RE: Cities and Villages II: UBI hasn't worked here in the US; we already have it. We have welfare and social security but also the freedom to not take those avenues. It seems to me that, at least here, the artistic and creative people are not on welfare or SSI.

Here in the USA, we have a hodgepodge of pension/benefit programs, so confusing it's difficult to know what is what.

Social Security and SSI (Supplemental Security Income) are not the same. Workers pay a specific Social Security tax and receive Social Security benefits upon retirement or should they become disabled. Beneficiaries of workers may also receive benefits under some circumstances. SSI, on the other hand, is a Federal welfare program for the aged and disabled who meet an income and resource requirement. People also get Medicare and Medicaid confused. Medicare is also funded by a separate tax on workers whereas Medicaid is a Federal health program for the poor. To make matters even more confusing, some of these Federal programs are administered by the states, throwing multiple levels of bureaucracy on top of an already confusing mishmash.

Our esteemed politicians seem to delight in keeping the public confused over these programs. Those on the Left want to turn Social Security and Medicare into welfare programs while those on the Right attempt to make the public believe they already are welfare programs.

Damn. I now realize I forgot to comment on your articles, Roger. I thoroughly enjoyed them and found myself agreeing with your reasoning more often than not. The illustrations support the articles well. However, I have to admit the Thambar photos are not to my taste. Good job.

Eh?

This is about as comprehensive a misunderstanding of UBI as I can readily imagine.

UBI is UNIVERSAL: not means tested, no bureaucratic hoops, no disapproving busybodies to whom you have to genuflect in order to get it. I've been on the dole twice, both times for a few weeks only, when I was 23 and 24. It's horribly demeaning.

If you've never met anyone creative who is/ was on some form of welfare/ social security, all I can say is that your circle of acquaintances is much smaller than mine. Without really stopping to think, I can come up with half a dozen painters, sculptors, writers, poets and musicians who use/ have used/ are planning to use state payments (unemployment, the dole, etc.) to allow them to concentrate on their art.

That's just among my friends. It's also not unknown for many other creative people. For example, Google J. K. Rowling, or go to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3666215/From-the-dole-to-Hollywood.html

Cheers,

R.

Damn. I now realize I forgot to comment on your articles, Roger. I thoroughly enjoyed them and found myself agreeing with your reasoning more often than not. The illustrations support the articles well. However, I have to admit the Thambar photos are not to my taste. Good job.
Thank'ee kindly. I really like the Thambar look but it just doesn't fit in with anything else. I may yet sell it.

Cheers,

R.

I wrote two new philosophy/ politics/ economics pieces for my .eu site, Cities and Villages I and Cities and Villages II. Then I thought they might work better with some illustrations, so I illustrated them. The next step was to speculate on whether people might be interested in how I chose the illustrations, and the background to them. The result was Illustrating "Cities and Villages", which also provides links to three short stories set in the village in which I live. Now, all three pieces are up.

There's an awful lot of work in all this (and in the short stories, etc.), so I hope people like what I've been doing. I also fell to wondering, though, if the freedom to do this sort of thing is what might result from my suggestions about Universal Basic Income in Cities and Villages II. After all, state pensions (which are the only pensions Frances and I have) are a UBI given after a certain age.

Once you get past the arguments about affordability, it seems there are two responses to UBI. One is that it will free us all up to be more creative and less consumerist, creating essays, pictures, short stories and more (music and dance, for example, though I'd not be much use at creating either). The other possibility is that we will all sit on our backsides and do nothing at all times. No doubt some will be more creative, neighbourly, etc., and others will just slob out, but I can't help feeling that people's reactions probably reflect their own creativity or lack of it. Read the articles and see what you think.

Cheers,

R.

Interesting piece, Roger. Nice images... Looks tranquil.

Back