I'm a Life-Long Camera Collector, Thanks to Jason Schneider.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
7:32 AM
I've read Jason Schneider's articles on camera collecting since I was 12, when I bought a brand-new Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I still have two boxes of Pop and Modern Photo mags, saved for his articles. If Jason wrote about walking into a camera shop and named off Noktons, Elmars, Sonnars, Summars, Summitars, and Summarits- I took note. Some, like the "moderately lousy Xenon 50/1.5 of the 1930s" (Jason Schneider, July 1973), I wanted to understand why some lenses were good, others bad. Some- Like the Summarit, Jason labeled as good performers, but the general reputation was poor. I started taking them apart to find out why, and even start applying some fixes.

And now, just some eye-candy for the true gearheads. I've shot with all of these lenses, and have taken most of them apart to clean and adjust. My goal- acquire a lens, understand it, show images from it, and leave it better-off than I found it.

Minolta_Chiyoko_Collection by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikkor 1940s Set by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Eight is Enough by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Magnificent Seven by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

sonnar_1607_3 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Somehow- I've acquired some Seventy 50mm lenses in Leica Mount. That should be "Thanks to Jason Schneider"...

Who else was inspired by Jason Schneider to get into this hobby?

Welcome back to RFF, Brian. I am thrilled to see you here again.
I was “motivated” to collect cameras by Popular Photography, Modern Photography, and Shutterbug.

Jason Schneider’s articles played a major role.

I'm not a collector. I've enjoyed your writing, Brian, about lenses, specifically the Jupiters, very much and I'm glad you're back here on RFF.

Dear Brian,
This is a most marvellous surprise.
Your renewed presence here might just tempt me out of RFF semi-retirement.
I hope to read more from you and send my sincerest best wishes.
Brett

Welcome back Brian and thanks for the eye-candy! Beautiful!! - Especially that first shot. Gorgeous patina and machining. My knees are weak :)

And thanks to Jason for his experience and insight.

Welcome back to RFF Brian. I'm glad your expertise has been regained by the forum! Always found your posts very informative - can't help with the 50mm-addiction though, I think that's somewhat self-inflicted ;-)

Nice haul of lenses. And I like your "goal":

" My goal- acquire a lens, understand it, show images from it, and leave it better-off than I found it."

Welcome back, Brian.

Wow. So pretty!

Of your Rokkors, which 2 or 3 are your favorites? I've been looking at & jonesing for the 50/1.8 Super Rokkor.

The 50/1.8 is the favorite- 5 group 6 elements, it is very good. The late 1960s Rigid Summicron later adopted the 6 element in 5 group design. Also: the Minolta HiMatic-9, my first 35mm camera, has a 45/1.7 with the same 5 / 6, "PF".

The Minolta 5cm F2 is very close to a Summitar, is hard coated, and uses easy to find 43mm filters on most, the earliest used 40.5mm filters.

The 85/2.8 is very good- uses hard to find 40mm filters, like Canon lenses of the day.

The Little 3.5cm F3.5 is rare, and has the distinction (as far as I know) of being the first Double-Coated lens, brought out in 1956.

It has an unusual rear lens cap.
Minolta_Chiyoko_Collection by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Wide-Open, on the M9-
Leesylvania by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

It's a Tessar formula lens, not many sold- maybe 300 or so in Leica Mount?

My first good camera was the Hi-Matic 9 purchased new circa 1970. I still have the slides - always liked the rendering.

I'm not much of a gearhead, but I really enjoyed your views before your earned break. Nice to have you back. I like to read so between you and Jason: as Micawber said, 'Bliss.'

I'm a Life-Long Camera Collector, Thanks to Jason Schneider. Me Too but I'm not sure I should thank Jason. If it wasn't from reading his articles (many of which I have ripped out and still have) back in the '70's my house would not be cluttered with more cameras than I can count -:)

And welcome back Brian!

Welcome back, Brian! Looking forward to learning from you... I ‘ve missed your articles on lenses and in particular Sonnar design lenses.

Hey, Brian, good to see you posting again! I always looked forward to reading whatever you were in to at the moment.

I'm also a fan of Jason, diligently checking out his articles in Shutterbug and other magazines before their newsstand demise. Maybe in the back of my head I stored some of that info while creating not one but two collections (the first one got auctioned off). Still, I'm not blaming anyone for my urge to try out many different cameras, it's just that they got so darn cheap and easy to acquire for a while I couldn't pass on the opportunity to experience what folks were saying about one brand/model or another.

But it's nice to have some inspiration from you and Jason.

PF

Brian...thank you for returning. For me, an early Christmas present. Looking forward to your posts and comments.

~ Colin

Back