Impermanence of Digital / Unfeasibility of 35mm

I have RC prints from the early 70s that are fine. They weren't supposed to be, but they are. The occasional prints that are defective are due directly to my not following instructions closely enough. None of the things "they" were saying at the time would happen--mostly disintegration of the plastic--have happened. There was a lot of howling, and I felt a bit dirty using it, but it worked so well. :)

I am amazed that so many non-professionals are concerned over the fate of their work after they pass on. If you are a professional, give the work to you clients on a current storage medium. It is their responsibility to maintain it. For non-professionals, who is going to want it? Are you so good that you expect to end up in a museum? The next Vivian Maier? I print my best work and store it in archival boxes, If my family wants to keep a few prints, they have an opportunity. Otherwise, its off to the landfill.

I am amazed that so many non-professionals are concerned over the fate of their work after they pass on. If you are a professional, give the work to you clients on a current storage medium. It is their responsibility to maintain it. For non-professionals, who is going to want it? Are you so good that you expect to end up in a museum? The next Vivian Maier? I print my best work and store it in archival boxes, If my family wants to keep a few prints, they have an opportunity. Otherwise, its off to the landfill.

And what of those in the fine art world? No clients involved but a constant conversation between curators and gallerrists etc. Vivian Maier? She wouldn't make the list of anyone I consider a venerable hero in Photography.

If you set out to "make it" you never will. That's a whole separate conversation though.

Back