Benelux In Amsterdam Nov. 17th - RFFer get together?

sleepyhead

Well-known
Local time
5:31 AM
Hello to RFF members in the Amsterdam area,

please see my thread from a few minutes ago in the Travel Forum if you're free on the afternoon/evening of Tuesday, Nov. 17th and would like to meet up for a beverage, etc. and some photo talk/shooting.

Regards,

Want to meet the man who sold me his cv 35mm and almost his M7 if I would have been faster, count me in.

Cheers,
Wim

Double Negative, have a good birthday - and perhaps next time I'm in NY.

Wim, will be nice to meet you too - let's correspond again once the date gets abit closer.

It's been about a year since you bought my 35mm Skopar - how're are you getting along with it? Sometimes i look at the negs I shot with that and think it was fooolish to sell it, but I have other 35mm lenses to use...

So where is that other thread? Link please, too lazy to search.

17th you say? Well, I'd love to meet up for shooting, but I work, so can only make it in the evening - no light no shooting, just beer. Unless you're around for the weekend too, which would be better - beer AND shooting.l

I'm up for it, I work in Amsterdam and could probably take the afternoon off, or just meet up in the evening.

I think it would be great to meet some fellow RFFers in A'dam, but unfortunately tuesdays are the toughest days for me.

Have fun, guys!

So where is that other thread? Link please, too lazy to search.

17th you say? Well, I'd love to meet up for shooting, but I work, so can only make it in the evening - no light no shooting, just beer. Unless you're around for the weekend too, which would be better - beer AND shooting.l

Hi Phantomas, the other thread is here:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81913

But, since there have been no replies to that, let me just paste what I wrote there here:
Hello,

I'll be in Amsterdam for a day (arrive Tuesday, Nov. 17th in afternoon, depart 18th in morning) en route to San Francisco, and was wondering if any RFFer's living locally would like to meet up for a beer or meal.

I'll be staying in a hotel located between Dam Square and Jordaan.

If left on my own, I was planning to simply wander about with my camera, and perhaps visit the Galerie Wouter van Leeuwen (if they are open that day) as they apparently have some Elliot Erwitt prints on exhibition.

Also, does anyone know of any decent second-hand gear shops in Amsterdam? - I'm on the hunt for some Olympus OM Zuiko glass (see my Wanted To Buy Ad if interested).

Anything Photographically Interesting going on in Amsterdam these days? Any tips on where to wander and shoot?

(I've been to Amsterdam many times, so I'm not particularly interested in the obvious tourist attractions or sites - some interesting areas to wander "off the beaten tourist track" would be interesting - what about the parts of town in the outer zones near the parks such as Vondelpark and Erasmus Park??)

Anyway, hope to possibly meet with some of you - send a PM or emil if you'de like to discuss this further.

Regards

Phantomas, glad you can possibly make it that evening - will correspond again once the day get closer.

Yaron

PS Surely there must be some pockets of light in Amsterdam after dark? ;)

there must be

Hi Sleepy,

The best place for secondhand gear in A'dam (and it's not really the best city for gear shopping) is a place called photo Jansen or Jensen or something like that. Just walk down Haarlemmerstraat in the center, you'll see it. Beware - the owner is an opinionated a**hole of an old man, so enter at your peril. He's got lots of nice gear, but I never buy anything because of his s**ty character. Not too cheap. On the same street you'll see a shop with a large Leica sign. Expensive! But they've got a lot of pro-grade gear, including RF stuff, film, etc, etc.
On Tuesday all shops close at 6PM.
The best photo gallery (museum) in Amsterdam is called Foam, located centrally on one of the canals (google). Don't spend your time in the "typical" Amsterdam museums (you know the 2-3 I'm talking about) rather spend your short time outside.
Where to shoot? Everywhere! Amsterdam is an interesting city and you'll find something on every corner. Careful with the camera in the Red Light District, don't point the camera at the girls, or shoot stealthy and off the hip, like I do.

I'll do my best to meet you in the evening. Can't commit 100% because of my job, you just never know the task I'll be working on tomorrow and the energy I'll have to put in.
If we do meet we should do it here: Zotte, centrally located (next to Leidseplein), good food, tons of excellent Belgian beer and good atmosphere. Probably after 7PM, I hope.

Let's keep in touch closer to the date. If any specific questions - shoot.
Hope I can make it.

Oh damn! :)

Thanks for posting that, Tibs! I had no idea about that shop, certainly looks worth checking. Something to do next weekend.

If we do meet we should do it here: Zotte, centrally located (next to Leidseplein), good food, tons of excellent Belgian beer and good atmosphere. Probably after 7PM, I hope.

OKAY, HERE'S A PLAN:

I'll be in Zotte (see link above) from around 7PM onwards on Tuesday evening, so if any of you can make it and are interested just turn up. I will also be wandering around Amsterdam beforehand (from around 3PM to 7PM), so send my a PM if you'd like to meet somewhere before.

(I will send my mobile phone number to skibeerr, phantomas, and renzsu by PM)

SO, HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU NEXT WEEK,
Yaron

Cool. Just replied to your mail. Really hope I can get out on time and meet you and a couple of local guys that might be there. And thanks for taking my advice on Zotte - nice place like I said.

So, do I recognise you guys by all the RF gear spread on the table between the beer glases? :)

(First RFF meet for me too).

Glad to hear that it looks like there will be a meeting.

Good point - how do we recognise each other? I will have a camera, but will be traveling light, so no gear spread out on the table. But how about a Contax T? Look for a guy with short greying hair and a small camera on the table.

Is Zotte a big place, by the way?

Nah, the Zotte is tiny, but on a Tuesday it's probably not so crowded as in the weekends. Just have your camera out and if it's not a big honking dslr we'll know enough I think :)

3912744948_29ebd74142.jpg

This might be a bit short notice, but interesting nonetheless:
I just heard from my aunt who is a fine artist, that there is an informal meeting from 20.30h between professional photographers and artists at cafe Kalkhoven on the Rozengracht (opposite of the Westerkerk). It might be fun to take a look, it's a short bus ride away (10mins) and it won't ruin the chance of having a couple of drinks ;)
I think this is the website of the organiser:
http://www.aloysginjaar.nl/

Back