In Praise of Tom A.!

Damaso

Photojournalist
Local time
11:43 AM
As we all know Tom is a great guy, just ask his wife! But the depth of his greatness is illustrated in this story.

I found an old Rapidwinder (#A021!) on eBay a while back and snagged it for a very good price. Having never used one it seemed a bit off and I contacted Tom to take advantage of his exceeding generous lifetime warranty. He said he would have to mill some new parts for my old winder and in the meantime he sent me a loaner to use.

Already we see a few things that set Tom apart from some other corporations or even vendors. He will fix any Rapidwinder for free even if you are not the first, or second for that matter, owner. Then while he is performing this repair (did I mention it was free?) he sends you another product to use.

Well I finally got A021 back in the mail today and what did I find, beside a lovely old Rapidwinder? A second Rapidwinder! I called Tom to thank him for his service and mentioned the second Rapdiwinder. He told me it was "just in case the repaired one acts up."

Can you believe this? Can you imagine Leica doing such a thing?

My local Leica dealer, who has been in the business for more than thirty years asked me what the advantage of a Rapidwinder is over a Leicavit. This is exactly why I love this product. I think this story illustrates why we love and admire Mr. Tom Abrahamsson!

Thanks again Tom!

3639566543_03c55887fc_o.jpg

I only know TomA from RFF. He is free with his vast knowledge, willing to help even us lowly souls, and is never condescending. I like him. Thanks, D.

Tom gave me a Nikon SP last time he was in Tokyo.

Actually, it was for a trade, but it took me around three months from receiving the SP from Tom to completing my end of the trade. Talk about trust!!!

In Japan, we'd say トムさんは腰が低いです。In Australia, we'd just call him a top bloke!

The next time he's in Rochester, WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE PM ME?!?

+1 for Tom A. props!

When who is on Rochester ... Tom or me? LMAO!

I'm working in Windsor , ON, right now. I'll be back in Rochester on the 25th, you can buy me a beer then. Oh wait, I might be a bit confused. :D

Actually, I think we need a Rochester RFF meeting with you, me Frank and Rob.

This nice story about Tom made me cry. I hope to meet him someday along with Tuulikki and Mr. B. (and perhaps the girl serving wine at that La Scalla event)

Last edited:
This nice story about Tom made me cry. I hope to meet him someday along with Tuulikki and Mr. B. (and perhaps the girl serving wine at that La Scalla event)

Every once in a while you meet someone who restores your faith in humanity, or photography for that matter, Tom is one of these people...

After reading his posts over the years I have to agree that Mr. Tom A. is a scholar and a gentleman. Three cheers!

Best Wishes.

I had much the same experience. I purchased a new RW II from Tom and then loved it so much I picked up a beaten up one from EvilBay. I wrote Tom and he said send it back. I expected to get a bill but recieved a rebuilt unit with a few new tweaks in it for FREE. Needless to say I sold my Leica motor without a second thought. I wish either his price for the S3 Rapidwinder was not so high or I had a lot more extra cash. There are two thing I miss about the M world. A Nikon F to my current body adapter (S3) and a reasonably priced Rapidwinder. Do not get me wrong, there is a LOT more work that has to happen with an F/S Rapidwinder, I just can not afford it these days.

I hope when my sons get older they find something they love like Tom has and treat thier customers as well as Tom does. I can not recomend him or is wonderfully thought through creations enough.

B2 (;->

Add me to the list of people who think Tom is an exceptional person - beyond Rapidwinders, beyond photography - just an exceptional, decent human being.

When who is on Rochester ... Tom or me? LMAO!

I'm working in Windsor , ON, right now. I'll be back in Rochester on the 25th, you can buy me a beer then. Oh wait, I might be a bit confused. :D

Actually, I think we need a Rochester RFF meeting with you, me Frank and Rob.

Yeah, definitely!

Back