Informal Poll - Camera Strap Solutions

bentheshark

Local time
4:45 AM
I've been struggling with a good camera strap solution for quite some time and would appreciate hearing how everyone else has solved this problem.

I've found that carrying my camera around my neck isn't the most comfortable thing in the would--it bounces around when I walk, and it dangles precariously when I lean forward to pick something up. With this kind of strap, wearing it as a sling doesn't work because it doesn't slide easily to allow me to quickly grab me camera and shoot. It does, however, safely use both camera lugs and allow me to control where the camera sits on my body.

I've seen the straps that allow the camera to slide on a key ring or the like that are worn as a sling (e.g., the Y-strap, Gordy's Sling). I really like the idea of these, but they mount either on a single lug, or on the trip-pod mount. This can be a problem because my half-case covers the tripod mount and i've heard using a single lug will wear it out pretty quickly. They also allow the camera to move a bit more freely which could be a problem when carrying two bodies.

What are you doing? Around the neck strap? Sling strap, but no case? Some other solution? I'd love to hear peoples thoughts as I am sure many have grappled with the same issue.

Thanks,
-Ben

best strap is the gripper with swivels by domke.

i use wrist straps when shooting and carry it in a small domke bag.

I am very happy with the Gordy straps for the wrist. I never uses them to support the weight, but rather to stop the camera from free fall...

Ciao

Joerg

I mainly use Luigi cases and neck straps. But rather than just around the neck, I wear them bandalero or sling style as you called it. I've found that the thin leather Luigi neck straps slide easily enough to pull the camera up from my side when I want to take a picture. And this still uses both strap lugs while keeping the camera safely tucked under my arm.

-Randy

I use a sling like those mentioned in the original post. I think it's fantastic. The camera stays out of the way and secure while being always available. Seems much more stealth like with the camera at your side compared to your chest or stomach.

I've never heard of damage to a lug or lug failure due to a sling. If anyone can provide more info on this I'd appreciate it.

I use the standard thin nikon strap with the grippy material on the underside, hung over one shoulder (not across the chest) with either a coat, blazer, or unbuttoned button-up shirt over it, both to make it impossible for it to fall off, and to give my camera some measure of concealment. If I need to bend over, i just button a button or two on the jacket or shirt i am wearing to keep the camera from flopping. The nikon strap is the best i have found so far with a good balance of grip, comfort, and small size. I was previously using a leica strap, and i was having to pull it up on my shoulder every minute or so, and i only have to adjust the nikon strap every five minutes or so, even when wearing a relatively slick t-shirt.

Merkin said it all. The Nikon strap is soft and flexible enough that I can take a couple of wraps around my wrist and use it as a wrist strap. I don't like wearing it under anything. I'm always carrying a camera or two. I never try to conceal them.

I've switched to carrying my camera in a small bag, not around my neck, and I'm finding the conventional neck strap interferes with getting the camera in and out of the bag. Right now I'm in the process of getting a short wrist strap, and I've also just purchased an M grip. The combination of the two (I hope) will make this mode of shooting smoother. Digital cameras have built-in grips that make them easy to dangle from fingertips so little load is carried by the lugs. The wrist strap adds security. My little Rollei 35 came with only a wrist strap and it works well.

As far as neck straps go, I like the Domke gripper strap without swivels.

Steve

Thank you all for the great responses. Very informative.

Quinn Porter, with respect to the lug issue, I have a Voigtlander Bessa and I believe the metal the lugs are made of tends to be softer than that of Leica cameras. I've notice some wear on my lugs after a few months of use, even using both lugs.

I have Luigi straps on all of my cameras. I just wrap the strap around my hand most of the time. I also have a Gordy strap that I switch to once in a while, but I don't carry the camera by the Gordy strap.

I use a Nikon F6 strap and black markered the Nikon F6 logo. Nice wide strap and easy to wrap around my wrist. I also find that the original Leica straps are not all that bad and also easy to wrap around my wrist as well. When trekking or long city walks I put the camera in my smallish Tamrac Adventerer-7 backpack.

You should be proud she is a great camera.

What I would recommend is that you stay with the strap that came with the camera, but pick up a Bessa Trigger Winder.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtwinder.htm

If you look at the first picture, on the right side of the winder are two extra strap lugs. I used these on all the Bessas that would take the winder (my Ts) and hung them from their right side over my shoulder. This worked VERY well for me. The winders are super light weight (again to me), provide an extra hand grip and give you the ability to fire off lots of shots without removing the camera from your face. I would have added them to my Ls but they will not work on the L or R, everything other Bessa (e.g. R2, R3, R4, T) they work very well on.

This also keeps the ware and tear off the rings on the body!

B2 (;->

I've tried many styles. My favorite?

A 50" long strip of black leather. No goofy attachments. I like to carry my camera on my right shoulder (not around my neck.) I bought one of those 20 dollar Leica camera straps on ebay from Hong Kong and it was about 6" too short for me.

I tried the fancy pants straps with the leather fob to protect the camera from scratches, and they just bunched up at the hinges and got in the way of the ergonomics of the camera, in my opinion.

I'm finally happy with the simplest solution.

For a rangefinder or other light camera, the DOmke is very good. For heavier stuff, the Upstrap is my choice.

Back