Informal Poll - Camera Strap Solutions

Neoprene Leica straps, one Luigi leather strap, and i recently bought a 'custom' (longer) LuxeCase leather strap. All are around 120cm long, because i'm sorta tall, and because i wear them 'bandolier' style. That way, they don't bounce, as they fall under the arm, and swing up to shoot. And, i can pretty effectively hide the camera if i have to.

It would seem I'm stuck with no perfect solution in sight. In some instances, I really like the concealed carry, so I think I'm gonna need to find a bandolier system that won't kill my un-leica like lugs.

In other instances, I can really see the merit to having the camera equipped with a wrist strap tucked into a small bag (that isn't much bigger than a RF but that doesn't look like purse...that's a whole other post though).

Thank you all for the comments. All very informative!

Out of curiosity, how strong are those domke with swivel straps?

I have a rolleiflex 2.8D that needs a new strap and I would like to carry it bandolier style. Was wondering if the domke grippers are strong enough to support that camera?

Also, does the strap slide easily if you have the sewn in treads facing up (not down into the shirt / jacket)?

Thanks.

If you read my prior post, you'll see that I have occasionally encountered faulty/poorly-constructed swivels on the Domke Gripper straps. The joint is a simple ball & socket design & if the "ball" is too small to begin with, it can easily wear down in size to the point where it will pull right through the socket. A properly-constructed Gripper Swivel is easily strong enough to hold a Rolleiflex, even w/a prism finder. I would recommend checking the strap in the store before buying [edit: I see you're in DC, so I would recommend Penn on E St. or Pro Photo on I St., as they have a pretty good selection], or inspecting it closely upon receipt if buying online, & reject any that have "balls" that are too small (no puns intended ;) ).

Because I tend to use my straps (& cameras) pretty hard & for ergonomic comfort, I have switched to Op/Tech for my heavier cameras/setups, like the Norita 66, as they lack any joint & have the soft, stretchy shoulder pads. For a Rolleiflex, however, it will depend on whether I'm using the prism finder; if so, I'll often use the Op/Tech to be on the safe side, if not, the Gripper (but I always check the condition of the swivel joint).

If you use the non-grippy side of the pad, the Grippers do slide pretty easily, the same as any fabric strap.

Out of curiosity, how strong are those domke with swivel straps?

I have a rolleiflex 2.8D that needs a new strap and I would like to carry it bandolier style. Was wondering if the domke grippers are strong enough to support that camera?

Also, does the strap slide easily if you have the sewn in treads facing up (not down into the shirt / jacket)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm a Yukoner :)

I'm leaning toward the Luigi strap. I can't get over nice leather and I like how it's hand-made. I'll keep an eye out for the Domke straps though.

a yukoner eh?
i might be persuaded to sell my luigi as it never gets used.

joe

Strap

Strap

I mainly use Luigi cases and neck straps. But rather than just around the neck, I wear them bandalero or sling style as you called it. I've found that the thin leather Luigi neck straps slide easily enough to pull the camera up from my side when I want to take a picture. And this still uses both strap lugs while keeping the camera safely tucked under my arm.

-Randy

you might want to have a look at my solution.

Michael

Good call.

Rather than deal with potentially faulty balls (pun intended ;) ), I might just get the version without the swivels.

Thanks for the note about Penn camera. I am actually in Maryland and the Laurel store is closest to me, so I will probably go there and see what they have in stock. It is just easier to list myself as DC rather than Maryland. :)

I dont have a prism finder.

I looked at the Op/Tech straps but they seem like they would be hotter in the summer than the domke gripper straps. I dont know about you, but I really hate the humidity we get here in the Summer months. If I can avoid any extra discomfort, that is a huge plus. Maybe Penn has both types in stock and I can compare them.

Thanks for the help.

If you read my post above, you'll see that I have occasionally encountered faulty/poorly-constructed swivels on the Domke Gripper straps. The joint is a simple ball & socket design & if the "ball" is too small to begin with, it can easily wear down in size to the point where it will pull right through the socket. A properly-constructed Gripper Swivel is easily strong enough to hold a Rolleiflex, even w/a prism finder. I would recommend checking the strap in the store before buying [edit: I see you're in DC, so I would recommend Penn on E St. or Pro Photo on I St., as they have a pretty good selection], or inspecting it closely upon receipt if buying online, & reject any that have "balls" that are too small (no puns intended ;) ).

Because I tend to use my straps (& cameras) pretty hard & for ergonomic comfort, I have switched to Op/Tech for my heavier cameras/setups, like the Norita 66, as they lack any joint & have the soft, stretchy shoulder pads. For a Rolleiflex, however, it will depend on whether I'm using the prism finder; if so, I'll often use the Op/Tech to be on the safe side, if not, the Gripper (but I always check the condition of the swivel joint).

If you use the non-grippy side of the pad, the Grippers do slide pretty easily, the same as any fabric strap.

Domke Gripper with swivels, and simply carry the camera not in front of your belly, but at your side by putting one arm and your head through the loop.

Why swivel? because without you will constantly fiddle with the strap being twisted wrongly and not lying flat. This allows the strap to turn by itself flat once over the head/arm without having to get your head out of the loop and turning the darn thing till flat. It is not "much except bulk" at all (previous post?). It is essential for easy use of a camera with strap. otherwise: forget it!

I use Gordys wrist straps
They work great and priced right for a nice piece of leather
He also make a many types of camera straps is any length
you want.

I like the Op/Tech bino-cam harness. It gets the weight off of my neck and on to my sholders. I put a pair of the matching quick connectors on all of my cameras so that they are always ready to go. Very comfortable to wear all day long.

I looked at the Op/Tech straps but they seem like they would be hotter in the summer than the domke gripper straps. I dont know about you, but I really hate the humidity we get here in the Summer months. If I can avoid any extra discomfort, that is a huge plus.
I can attest to the Domke Gripper's ability to soak up sweat. I was in Fiji last year and my straps got quite wet every single day. No problems... :)

Naked. No strap. M-Grip.

I keep my camera in a bag, usually a plain Jack Sp@de with a Domke insert. If I'm actively shooting the camera is in my hand. If I'm not it's in the bag in easy reach. Best method for me.

I've found straps get in the way. If I don't want to carry a bag, I stick my GR1 in my pocket, no strap, no case.

I'm just getting started with a Leica M8 which is much lighter than my dslr, Canon 40D. Add a lens and well, it's heavy. I preferred a handstrap on the Canon for many reasons but there were a few draw backs. The biggest issue for me was changing a lens. With a neck strap, the camera can hang while you change without risk of dropping the camera. Of course rangefinders don't require frequent lens changing so this may not be a big issue. I suppose you can use a bag to change a lens but you get my point.

The other minor issue I had was what to do with the camera in between shots. There were many times when I didn't want to put my camera in the bag but didn't want to hold it in my hands either.

Right now I am using the Leica strap that came with the camera but I am looking around. Domke makes really cool, discreet bags that don't advertise there's a camera inside. I own a few so it might make sense to check out their camera straps again.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, I don't have a strong opinion, as I tend not to shoot as much medium format during the summer for that very reason (heavier gear + heat & humidity = :( ). I doubt the Op/Techs would be significantly hotter/clammier, but I also have no problem running around w/my usual Chrome messenger bag during the summer & that covers a lot more than any strap.

I looked at the Op/Tech straps but they seem like they would be hotter in the summer than the domke gripper straps. I dont know about you, but I really hate the humidity we get here in the Summer months. If I can avoid any extra discomfort, that is a huge plus. Maybe Penn has both types in stock and I can compare them.

Thanks for the help.

I use Lowepro straps hanging off of metal swivel clips attached by metal key rings to the strap lugs on two of my motorized SLRS. Additionally, these two cameras have homemade wrist-straps attached as well for stability. My other SLR and my rangefinders all have those yellow and black cloth Nikon-branded straps that I find for nickels and dimes at photo flea markets.
All of these straps have velcro sewed to the underside which mates up with velcro sewn to the epaulettes on my vest. I routinely hang a body off each shoulder and carry one around my neck. The velcro keeps the shoulder-hung cameras from ever slipping.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a strong opinion, as I tend not to shoot as much medium format during the summer for that very reason (heavier gear + heat & humidity = :( ). I doubt the Op/Techs would be significantly hotter/clammier, but I also have no problem running around w/my usual Chrome messenger bag during the summer & that covers a lot more than any strap.

Thanks for the followup.

I think what I will probably do is order the domke with swivels, and if I like it for the rolleiflex then I will use it there. If not, I will put it on my D70 which is still using the stock nikon strap. In that case, I will just go and order the op/tech pro loop strap which looks pretty good.

Back