Initial impressions Sigma dp2m

I think US marketing is slow. Dp3m is still at original msrp. In France, Jon picked his up for a discounted price almost immediately. :(.

Gary

Bob (France) lent me his DP2 last weekend .
I was impressed ...bit slower on the AF than my GRD but the 35 was welcome.

Just have reservations about the 800 to 1600 iso performance.
It gets a bit dim here in the winter months.

All the DPm models seem to be £799 in the UK .
Not that I`ve been looking you understand :)

Michael, I didn't really have big intentions of getting a DPM when I started hanging around this thread ... then I realised why I was here! :D

Aside from the slowish focus I don't see a problem ... and 1600 is usable. Particularly for black and white conversions and if you go back and look at the 1600 colour shot I posted in the images thread you'll see it's not all that bad. :)

another "fun" merrill tidbit
because the camera has no light at the front, on a ten second timer there's no clue when the exposure will fire. can only by looking at the shutter blades close. but this is impossible with a polarizer on. truly a photographer's camera ;)

A couple of you have said that you have mixed feelings about the resolution from the camera or that you discovered it wasn't really what you wanted the most after all. Can you elaborate on that?

I love the apparent resolution, colour, DR and how the files convert to mono in SPP.

Lee

The little Sigma might just be pushing my X Pro 1 towards the door, and I really like the Fuji. Sure, the Fuji crushes the DP2M in high ISO, but there are other options for low light shooting.

I'm tempted by the DP3M because 40mm just doesn't cut it sometimes. I'm very curious to know what the rumored DP4 will be.

The little Sigma might just be pushing my X Pro 1 towards the door, and I really the Fuji. Sure, the Fuji crushes the DP2M in high ISO, but there are other options for low light shooting.

My Xpro1 has gone on to a new owner. As much as I liked it, once I got the DP3 and saw the results, I stopped using the Fuji.

I just switched over the strap that I was using on the Fuji to the Sigma. Once I put it around my neck, the first thing I noticed was how light the Sigma is.

Still trying to find a suitable replacement for high iso low light work, but once there is light (or strobes) I will use the Sigma.

Just got a DP2 Merrill on Friday. Looking forward to using it from many images online I have seen so far.

I did download some sample raws and print one out at 24x36 and the print looked fantastic. Unbelievable quality for such a small form camera.

I was waiting for the right time to buy, and there were some recent deals on the camera with the cyber Monday silliness. I jumped on that quickly, saved $200!!

So today is the first nice day since getting the DP2m...went downtown to just play.

So far I like the camera, but one thing - my thumb kept hitting the focus button switching me from auto to manual. Gotta break that habit.

The resolution and sharpness are incredible. I compared another image to one I also took with the Leica X1...no contest (but I still like the X1 - shutter and aperture dials, etc)

Here is the first image I worked on from the shoot:

square.jpg

gnice! :eek:) i don't know if it has anything to do with the franiec grip i added but i find my thumb goes right to the textured area it's supposed to go to.

So today is the first nice day since getting the DP2m...went downtown to just play.

So far I like the camera, but one thing - my thumb kept hitting the focus button switching me from auto to manual. Gotta break that habit.

The resolution and sharpness are incredible. I compared another image to one I also took with the Leica X1...no contest (but I still like the X1 - shutter and aperture dials, etc)

Here is the first image I worked on from the shoot:

square.jpg

I just want to say that I love this camera. It's simplicity in design feels great in my hand and the controls are intuitive and accessible to me. The images I capture are so much more substantial than my other digitals that I treat it as a film camera. I am more intentional with my shots. The little that I've done with SPP has produced B&W images that are approaching what I desire in film. I want to sell most of my film stuff now and really concentrate on creating a work flow and style with this wonderful tool. I am waiting for the franiec grip to arrive which will make it even more comfortable in my hand.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, tips, etc... in this forum for this camera. Will be posting pics soon.

It's simplicity in design feels great in my hand and the controls are intuitive and accessible to me.

I agree. The menu and controls are all very intuitive. I've yet to even look at the manual. From the first day I started using the DP2 it was like I had been using it already for years. Very straightforward while still fully functional. It's an interface that makes total sense.

Out of the box ergonomics is another thing, however. It's definitely a bar of soap. But with the RRS L-bracket and grip (and some gaffers tape here and there) it's become super comfortable to use.

I agree. The menu and controls are all very intuitive. I've yet to even look at the manual. From the first day I started using the DP2 it was like I had been using it already for years. Very straightforward while still fully functional. It's an interface that makes total sense.

Out of the box ergonomics is another thing, however. It's definitely a bar of soap. But with the RRS L-bracket and grip (and some gaffers tape here and there) it's become super comfortable to use.

I have one of those little flipbac stickons and found it was just enough to keep the 'bar of soap' in my hands more comfortably.

I just want to say that I love this camera. It's simplicity in design feels great in my hand and the controls are intuitive and accessible to me. The images I capture are so much more substantial than my other digitals that I treat it as a film camera. I am more intentional with my shots.

Glad to hear it's working out for you! I find myself agreeing with everything you said, and I really like the controls as well, they're so easy to use that you can pick them back up even after using other cameras and forgetting a bit. I have the Franiec grip and think it helps a lot. Just be careful, people who like the Merrill find themselves having more than one, lol.

Have fun w/ the camera. I started w/ the flipbac on the Merrill but decided I need the extra weight of the rrs grip to help dampen the shutter release.. It lets me take shots about one shutter speed lower then w/o it.

Gary

Have fun w/ the camera. I started w/ the flipbac on the Merrill but decided I need the extra weight of the rrs grip to help dampen the shutter release.. It lets me take shots about one shutter speed lower then w/o it.

Gary

Woah, great advice. That's on a tripod or off? And that's with a 2sec timer or without?

W/o tripod and just old fashion controlled breathing and shutter release technique from the old film days before there was such a thing as image stabilization.

Gary

Ps. Forgot to mention, I tend to use an ovf and thus I get a nice steady three point stable hold. W/ the added weight to minimize what little movement is left at the shutter release event, it gives me that needed slower shutter.

Last edited:
sigma raw converter produces inaccurate color and that is why people like it because it looks different from the Adobe dominated raw converter market.

the colors that you see in digital files are a product of software interpolation, that is why a RAW files opened in default adobe profile LR will look completely different from one opened in RPP... so its the Sigma RAW converter that you should thank for "fevon color", because all digital cameras capture three grayscale images for each channel the color is added during interpolation in software.

fevon cameras have great resolution and micro contrast due to lack of bayer filter, but then the lack of dynamic range makes them at best a nice substitute to positive color film - that is if you know how to correct colors and process properly.

Back