Instax Monochrome?

Rayt

Nonplayer Character
Local time
8:46 AM
I have a lot of 6x6 b/w photos and thought it might be interesting to print them on Square Instax Monochrome film using their printer. Anyone tried this?

A suggestion, based on my experience with the Instax Mini Evo hybrid: Try printing on the monochrome film, then try printing on color film in monochrome, if the printer allows that (I suspect it will, but I don't know). I prefer the look of a monochrome color Instax print over the look of a print on monochrome Instax film. It's a slightly warmer tone, but, more significantly, the "blacks" are deeper and richer, with better mid-tones as well. There will be no difference in permanence, or lack of it, as both are dye-based final images.

I’ll try both. Thanks. Since I need to copy the files to the iPhone first do you have any recommendations on boosting contrast and or exposure? I’ll experiment but a starting point would be great. My files tend to be lower contrast with wide tonality. I wonder if instax film can reproduce it.

I’ll try both. Thanks. Since I need to copy the files to the iPhone first do you have any recommendations on boosting contrast and or exposure? I’ll experiment but a starting point would be great. My files tend to be lower contrast with wide tonality. I wonder if instax film can reproduce it.
Sorry I don't have recommendations for direct-to-phone manipulations. I would guess the best method would be to scan the negatives and do all exposure and contrast changes on your computer, then download to the phone (if possible).
My experience with Instax is only on the Evo Mini, which means I'm actually printing from an original digital file. Nevertheless, Instax does seem to handle a wide tonal range pretty well. What you do need to prepare for is a significant loss in fine detail, and a tendency to blow out highlights. I've learned to regard these not as "faults" of Instax, but a unique character which I try to use to my advantage. There's a dreamy intimacy to the process, and the small prints, that is unlike anything else. Experiment and have fun!

Back