Instax Wide Lomograflok 4x5 Back

Mackinaw

Think Different
Local time
6:06 PM
Not sure whether this should go in Instant, Lomography, or Large Format sub-forums. I'll try Instant.

I just received my Lomograflok 4x5 back that takes Instax Wide film. It fits on any 4x5 that has a graflok back. Appears to be well designed and engineered unit. Because the film plane is in a different location compared to an ordinary 4x5 film back, Lomo includes a special focusing spacer that you use first to focus (on the ground glass). You then remove the spacer and put in the Lomo Instax Wide back. Take a picture, press the button, and out pops an Instax Wide print. The weather today is terrible in northern Michigan, heavy snow and high winds, so no test prints. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow.

lomo4.jpg

lomo1.jpg

lomo3.jpg

lomo2.jpg

Jim B.

This is terrific. I've got an Instax square back for my RB67 and it's cool to print out Instax out of sharp lenses. The exposure latitude is very limited but the ISO of 800 is something to be thankful for. I'll pick this up sooner than later. Share some examples when the weather clears!

Too bad there is no way to focus with the RF.
i just got mine recently, as well. For my Crown. Keep us in the loop!

The price on the back is good enough that I am almost able to convince myself to run out and buy a 4x5. Amazing, especially at that price.

This is terrific. I've got an Instax square back for my RB67 and it's cool to print out Instax out of sharp lenses. The exposure latitude is very limited but the ISO of 800 is something to be thankful for. I'll pick this up sooner than later. Share some examples when the weather clears!

What is your experience like with the RB67 and with the RB67 plus the Instax??? Thanks.

Too bad there is no way to focus with the RF.
i just got mine recently, as well. For my Crown. Keep us in the loop!

If you were really committed to the Instax back, you could calibrate the rangefinder to the instax film plane

If you were really committed to the Instax back, you could calibrate the rangefinder to the instax film plane

Exactly what I was thinking. I’ve got a Linhof and it should be easy to add a stop to the track setting the lens back the required amount. The Linhof tabs are nice in that you can fold them out of the way when not needed and fold down others for different lenses. I’ve got three lenses and each has its own tab and matching RF cam. Wouldn’t want to add tabs for each lens, it could get too confusing.

Glenn

Finally got the chance to take some pics with this Instax-Wide Lomograflok back. While yesterday saw wind and heavy snow, today was sunny.

Not wanting to drag along a tripod, before I went into town, I pre-focused on a residence about 300 feet away, and a tree probably 8' from our house. I then marked these distances on the focusing track with a black sharpie. In effect this allowed me to zone focus. All I have to do now is move the focusing rack to the correct mark (300' or 8') and take a pic....no need to focus on the ground glass.

Now to take a few pictures. I did find out that the bright sun played havoc with Instax Wide film, which is rated at 800. Fast stuff, on a bright, sunny day. I ended up taping a ND filter to my lens to allow me to shoot at F16 at 1/200th. Even then, the pics were overexposed. I ended up shooting at F22 at 1/200 which then gave me a pretty good pic. Unfortunately, I ended up wasting five sheets of film, but today was my trial and error day, so I'd figure I'd make some mistakes.

The unit really is well designed. It is bulky which makes the Crown Graphic, plus back, a real handful to hold. but it can be done.

Now that I figured out exposure, I'll shoot some more pics tomorrow. This unit has great potential. I am curious how it would perform in the studio with studio lighting. That's for another day.

wide5.jpg

Sunny 16 rule didn't work here. F16 at 1/200 with a 2-stop neutral density filter in place.

wide4.jpg

This is at F22 at 1/200 with a 2-stop ND filter taped to the lens. This exposure worked, though it still could be a 1/2 stop darker.

Jim B.

How exactly would you do that? Is there a step by step instruction on how to calibrate?

If you have the Kalart rangefinder, it takes a little patience but is not technically hard. I followed these instructions and it worked great.

What is your experience like with the RB67 and with the RB67 plus the Instax??? Thanks.

Being able to switch from film to Instax mid roll/pack is the best part. Can be real tricky to get a proper exposure. Especially when doing portraits. Cheap enough to waste a few frames

Attachments

• photo111967.jpg
    photo111967.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 0
Being able to switch from film to Instax mid roll/pack is the best part. Can be real tricky to get a proper exposure. Especially when doing portraits. Cheap enough to waste a few frames

That photo is a keeper. The old Crown Graphic is a honey but I have to be just a teensy bit sensible. I think the RB67 Pro SD at a good price with the metering penta-prism would blow my skirt up. And you say the 4x5 back clamps right on? Sheesh, there goes the egg money meant for tuition. I'll never get that damned GED.

But if recalibration the rf....then can’t do that swap

Back