Interesting article about the state of Sony

Sony currently is generating $20 billion U.S. dollars in revenue... per quarter.

This is a "problem" many other businesses would like to have. They aren't dead yet, far from it.

Provided they make the right moves there is no reason to expect their imminent demise. Divestiture of some business units? Sure... but I doubt camera / imaging technology will be one of those to go. TVs? Maybe.

Consider this: Sony can charge 1000 - $3000 USD for a tiny piece of electronic gear called a camera, and those that buy such things are known to update them on a regular basis. A high end 55" - 60" Plasma / LED TV might cost $1,500 - $2,500 depending on how close to launch date you buy one but those who buy them are less likely to upgrade within a couple of years.

Anyway my gut says Sony's camera line is safe from purges.

And I bought a Panasonic plasma partly because I like them (Sharp is not a big deal here) and partly because Sony was outsourcing some of their 2012 line-up to other makers - indication they are already pulling back from TV competition.

EDIT: One thing I fear for Sony and all companies is this silly desire of many to follow in Apple's footsteps. I've been seeing this in businesses that really don't have a change in Apple-izing their products and marketing and sales. Personally I don't want to shop at a Sony store, I want to shop at the closest store or store with best service or on-line for price.

And Apple stores give me the creeps!

Sony currently is generating $20 billion U.S. dollars in revenue... per quarter.

This is a "problem" many other businesses would like to have. They aren't dead yet, far from it.

Provided they make the right moves there is no reason to expect their imminent demise. Divestiture of some business units? Sure... but I doubt camera / imaging technology will be one of those to go. TVs? Maybe.

Consider this: Sony can charge 1000 - $3000 USD for a tiny piece of electronic gear called a camera, and those that buy such things are known to update them on a regular basis. A high end 55" - 60" Plasma / LED TV might cost $1,500 - $2,500 depending on how close to launch date you buy one but those who buy them are less likely to upgrade within a couple of years.

Anyway my gut says Sony's camera line is safe from purges.

And I bought a Panasonic plasma partly because I like them (Sharp is not a big deal here) and partly because Sony was outsourcing some of their 2012 line-up to other makers - indication they are already pulling back from TV competition.

EDIT: One thing I fear for Sony and all companies is this silly desire of many to follow in Apple's footsteps. I've been seeing this in businesses that really don't have a change in Apple-izing their products and marketing and sales. Personally I don't want to shop at a Sony store, I want to shop at the closest store or store with best service or on-line for price.

And Apple stores give me the creeps!

Yeah, I believe Sony should choose to discontinue product lines that are struggling and focus on the ones that are thriving. Some diversification is good, but they've diversified so much that they've spread themselves too thin.

For example: Sony VAIO computers are overpriced for what they are. If I was Sony CEO, I'd totally discontinue the line. Sony MP3 players are great as far as sound quality and battery life, however they don't have the convenient interface that the iPod does, so unless some changes are made they can't compete. Either put more R&D into the Walkman line, or cut it. And if they do decide to compete, a good advertising campaign would benefit them. etc. etc.

I'm just happy that their camera division is the way it is, I'm a recent adopter of an RX100 and a NEX-7. Great cameras.

Best way to keep consumers upgrading in digital world is to desupport devices and periodically change formats. Family which has used same TV for last 20 years with transition to digital broadcasting have to buy DVBT reveiver. Without much knowledge they buy simplest one and later they upgrade to one having card slot and USB port, then they realize they need model allowing recording one channel while watching another in same time. And so it goes on :) Company relying on belief customer choose their products for their quality is doomed for bankrupcy, in environment of totalitary economy they have to control product life cycle. Don't forget also engineered (technical) obsolescency masked under environment care, so called "green" terror.

Best way to keep consumers upgrading in digital world is to desupport devices and periodically change formats. Family which has used same TV for last 20 years with transition to digital broadcasting have to buy DVBT reveiver.
Not here mate. We've had digital cable for years and there's one analog TV left in the house and it's working fine off the cable feed thank you. RCN (cable provider) uses digital/analog conversion and the TV is a Sony of course. ;)

Not here mate. We've had digital cable for years and there's one analog TV left in the house and it's working fine off the cable feed thank you. RCN (cable provider) uses digital/analog conversion and the TV is a Sony of course. ;)

The switch to digital only affected over-the-air broadcasts. Not everyone wants to (or can afford to) pay for cable.

Zero loss in quality control, every automobile rolling out of the factory was PERFECT.

I worked as an engineer in R&D for one of those big german car manufacturers for a few years and believe me, that's far from true. that whole 'german engineering' myth get's kinda scary sometimes...

I worked as an engineer in R&D for one of those big german car manufacturers for a few years and believe me, that's far from true. that whole 'german engineering' myth get's kinda scary sometimes...

Wait what do you mean..

How german cars are ahead because they built airplane and ufo engines and designed them?? Or how it's hyped up?

I have a merc and never had a problem with it but I always went to service after each 5,000 mile.. Safe to say I added 60,000 miles in a little over year.. Lovely brakes in snow, great response in the suspensions.. unlike those hyundai's that have a slow reaction speed to the ground change..

When i was a senior in HS the president of Merc North America came to speak as an alumni and he said even when he worked from ground up in facotires in stutgard or whatever its called a lot of old experienced technicans worked on g class and stuff..

And we forget too soon about the brake failure toyotas had 3-4 years ago.. like 3 million cars had to be returned...

What troubles me most is Jap companies come over here and build cars and they do a better job then american cars that build here since they are the ones getting bailed out.. Greedy Ceos , bad management=less efficient more money flow to CEOs , pretty much sucking the blood of the company..

The switch to digital only affected over-the-air broadcasts. Not everyone wants to (or can afford to) pay for cable.
Well I don't really want it either, but if you live where I live and you don't have cable you don't have any telly because we can't get reception from terrestrial TV.

I miss those German cars from 80ies....they for sure lasted better than currently built. And maintenance didn't cost an arm and leg, yet it could be done in every second garage insted of specialized with specially trained staff. Have you heard about German Timer?

Well I don't really want it either, but if you live where I live and you don't have cable you don't have any telly because we can't get reception from terrestrial TV.

Oh same here. The mandated switch was a big scam. Analog was better because even if the signal was weak you could still get picture and sound (fuzzy, but tolerable), with digital if you don't get a good signal, you get tons of blocky artifacts and the sound cuts in and out. :bang:

Back