iPad question

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
3:17 PM
when one goes to buy an iPad you have a choice of a wifi version or a cell version. i have never bought the cell version relying on lots of available public wifi.
can a wifi version be turned into a cell version?

I don't believe so. The WiFi version doesn't have the internal components to make it connect to a cell carrier.

I believe you can buy a cell version, and some day cancel your cell contract, and it will still work as a WiFi version.

Best,
-Tim

I don't believe so. The WiFi version doesn't have the internal components to make it connect to a cell carrier.

I believe you can buy a cell version, and some day cancel your cell contract, and it will still work as a WiFi version.

Best,
-Tim

+1!

Or you can buy such a small box that takes a cell phone card and provides WIFI some Meters around.

Regards, Axel

+1!

Or you can buy such a small box that takes a cell phone card and provides WIFI some Meters around.

Regards, Axel

In fact the small boxes that can do this are called "cell phones" these days.:p

Pretty much all smart phones can provide a WiFi hotspot, although it will drain the battery in no time.

i use the iPhone as a hot spot now but i don't think it's the best way to go.
the phone is ok by itself but the screen is too small for me.

No, you cannot add the cellular hardware to a WiFi only iPad.

Personally, I've always bought iPads that are equipped for both, even if I never turned on the cellular. It's a $100 option that's worth paying for, IMO; I've been plenty of places where WiFi was scarce or expensive. Just like getting as much storage capacity as possible ... I might never need it all, but it's sure nice to have if I ever do.

G

thanks guys...i thought as much...i'm currently stuck in a temporary make shift desk at work and it's a wifi dead zone...my late iPhone works fine and so i hoped i could convert the iPad. i should go check out new iPads again...got the iPad pro atm and i find it a bit heavy to carry around...

The iPad Mini is a nice option, smaller and easier to tote around and yet the screen is much larger than an iPhone's. My Mini is a cellular version but I've never selected a carrier or used that service. Maybe someday. A booster battery for your iPhone would extend the hot spot usage time... (search for "Mophie")

A 4G cellular WiFi access point often is a better solution indoors as the 4G box can be placed by a window for clear reception. It will even accept a remote antenna for permanent installs.
I’m using one are my home internet and WiFi as they are quite cheap in the UK - £100 purchase cost then £30 per month for 50 GB data . Best of all no fixed long term contract required.
I do also have another 20 GB on a 10” cellular ipad which is great for hassle free travel and commuting access ( so buying the cellular equipped ipad was the right choice ).

if you do get a Cellular version, take note that you'll need to get a data plan from a carrier so this will be an extra monthly cost for you.

if you have an iphone that can do hotspot already, might as well get an Ipad with wifi only

In fact the small boxes that can do this are called "cell phones" these days.:p

Pretty much all smart phones can provide a WiFi hotspot, although it will drain the battery in no time.

Nope, there are 3G/4G to WIFI direct routers also. And they have no battery drain problem :p

This appears to be a decent price for an iPad:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1327829-REG/apple_mp2g2ll_a_ipad_wi_fi_32gb_9_7.html

From what I read, 5G is going to change our way of hooking up to things like the internet. It is already up here in some places. It’ll probably be a couple of years before it’s wide spread. And for a manufacturer to offer products 5G capable. But it will be available as a choice.

It’s faster than most cable subscriptions offered.

I think I will wait to upgrade until I see how this shakes out.

One of my investments is in a company called Crown Castle. The symbol is CCI.
They are involved with cell phone tower and antenna technology. They are building stuff for the 5G network.

Take a look here:

http://www.crowncastle.com/?utm_sou...MIkoDGg4W22wIVEtVkCh1UFQ9xEAAYASAAEgJuyfD_BwE

Interesting 5 minute video:

http://www.skyworksinc.com/Products...MI9sDKq4i22wIVBr3sCh2l5AvbEAAYAyAAEgLozPD_BwE

5G is 5th generation of wireless technology.

if you do get a Cellular version, take note that you'll need to get a data plan from a carrier so this will be an extra monthly cost for you. ...

Not necessarily. You can buy a specific amount of data for spot use, you can buy a month at a time with a total data limit, or you can add your iPad to your other cellular WiFi services so that they can all share the same pooled data total. The first two of these service offerings (at least with AT&T) are pay as you go only, no plan required.

The last is what I do: It's a $10 rider on my cell phone service for data service to the iPads. Makes it simple... I buy enough data total to cover any use of all my devices and use up as much of it per month as possible.

In public access WiFi, there are many times when I switch off the WiFi and let the iPad go cellular only for performance reasons.

G

thanks guys...i thought as much...i'm currently stuck in a temporary make shift desk at work and it's a wifi dead zone...my late iPhone works fine and so i hoped i could convert the iPad. i should go check out new iPads again...got the iPad pro atm and i find it a bit heavy to carry around...

The iPad Mini is a nice option, smaller and easier to tote around and yet the screen is much larger than an iPhone's. My Mini is a cellular version but I've never selected a carrier or used that service. Maybe someday. A booster battery for your iPhone would extend the hot spot usage time... (search for "Mophie")

For reasons that are not easy to explain sensibly, I have three iPads: iPad mini 3, iPad Pro 12 inch, and iPad Pro 9 inch. I had an iPad 2 and an iPad Air along the way as well. Once you get used to the performance of an iPad Pro, it's hard to go back to a mini or the standard iPad—particularly if you're doing photography with it.

The newer iPad Pro 10.5" is outstanding in this regard, and it's a bit lighter than the iPad Pro 9 inch I have, and barely any larger overall. I wouldn't buy anything else now, if I needed a new iPad.

The iPad Pro 9 inch is pretty much my standard mobile computing machine now, despite that I have an excellent MacBook Air fully maxed out and the 12 inch pad as well. I used the iPad mini3 for a long time as my only tablet, and it's a solid little machine, but by comparison: doing raw conversion of 30 Leica M-D DNG files with PhotoRAW takes about fifteen minutes. With the iPad Pro 9 inch, that goes down to 97 seconds. The difference there is a MUCH higher performance processor and four times the available RAM for such operations. The iPad Pro screens are also much better performers for real photographic use.

G

I think you only get GPS on the cell version of the iPads.

The new iPad takes the apple stylist/pen, my guess is you will see a rework of the Pros for the WWDC. Perhaps a few faster more upgrade friendly Macs too.

B2 (;->

i have an original iPad mini and a new ipad pro 12".
the mini now acts as a reader, which works well and the iPad pro is just plain great...i should have bought the cell/wifi version though.

I’ve always bought iPads with cellular capability, but so far have only used wifi.
Firstly cell is always available if you need it, but my main reason is to get the GPS receiver that only gets installed in cell models. The wifi models use that to get position not GPS.

If you want to use map apps out in the boonies or at sea with no wifi you’ll need the cell version.

Glenn

I have the cell + wifi 10.5 inch iPad Pro. It's worth the extra monthly fee charged by Verizon Wireless for adding a device to my family plan.

Back