IR cut filter and step up ring question

taffy

Well-known
Local time
11:39 AM
I got a 35 C-Biogon with the uncommon 43mm filter size. I’m hesitating buying its own IR Cut filter and I currently have a 46mm and a step up ring.

Should I expect any issues using it this way? Would the distance of the filter from the font element be an issue on the image? My preference is to use a filter for protection.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems I can see - the IR Cut filter is optically flat and it simply filters out excess IR. As a matter of fact I regularly use step up rings when I need to, in order to facilitate the use of various filters (IR Cut, polarizers etc) much as you propose to do. In my case given that most of my lenses that I use on my Leica M8 are 39mm (many Leica) or 40.5mm (some German and Russian lenses) or 40mm (Canon LTM) or 41mm (Leica Summarit) I had the opportunity to buy a 43mm IR Cut Filter and I use it on all of the above with stepping rings of the appropriate size. Also means I mostly can save on lens hoods except where the focal distance warrants something different. But as I say I can see no reason why you should not step up to 46mm and use the ring and cut filter you already have.

No problems I can see - the IR Cut filter is optically flat and it simply filters out excess IR. As a matter of fact I regularly use step up rings when I need to, in order to facilitate the use of various filters (IR Cut, polarizers etc) much as you propose to do. In my case given that most of my lenses that I use on my Leica M8 are 39mm (many Leica) or 40.5mm (some German and Russian lenses) or 40mm (Canon LTM) or 41mm (Leica Summarit) I had the opportunity to buy a 43mm IR Cut Filter and I use it on all of the above with stepping rings of the appropriate size. Also means I mostly can save on lens hoods except where the focal distance warrants something different. But as I say I can see no reason why you should not step up to 46mm and use the ring and cut filter you already have.

Thanks a lot. I’ll go out use this current setup then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back