Is a Hasselblad 500C/M really that much better than a Bronica S2A?

johannielscom

Snorting silver salts
Local time
1:03 AM
This.

I may have to let go of a camera that I planned I'd keep forever. I'm exploring my options to use part of the proceeds to get an MF camera, either 6x7/6x9 or a 6x6.

Used to have a Hasselblad 500C/M (sadly sold that too already) but now looking at the Bronica S2A.

Both have lenses 40mm, 50mm, 75/80mm, 6x6 and 6x4.5 backs. (Are there any 220 film backs for the S2A?)

Is the Hasselblad system really that much better than the Bronica system, optically? Ruggedness?

bronica S2a is a great camera, i sold mine a dew months back, never used a Hassy.
Just consider repair options, the Bronica repair are hard to get done.

There are 2 eras of Bronica.
Before Nikon stepped in and did a lot about QC!
The S2a is the better era.
i had the Bronica-C.
It was crap. My 1st Film shredder. An expensive disaster.
Luckily it was after many months of Problems,
swapped for a new Leica M3,50mm, meter.
The "C" was not cheap in price!!
Go for the newer BUT BETTER get a Hasselblad!
They are becoming much used and sought after,
so those low, low prices are gone.
Repairs are possible on most cameras and some lenses.
Some lenses do not have spares for shutters.
Hasselblad services are not cheap.
Bodies, lenses and magazines all need maintenance.
If you are simply wanting Medium Format, get a Rolleiflex.
A Rollei with Tessar is less expensive, the Planar a lil better.
Alternatively a Mamiya C series. Check for servicing?

Depends on your definition of "better" I suppose. They're both big 'ol 120 format SLR's. The build quality on the 'blad is obviously superior, but nothing at all wrong w/ the Bronica. Keep in mind that repairs on a 'blad can be very expensive, whereas w/ the Bronica it would be easier and cheaper to just get another body if yours were to go south. My Bronica was, or at least seemed, a lot bigger and heavier than my 'blad, and had a shutter that honestly sounded like a gun going off, so no second shots if you shoot candids even if your subject is clear across the street.

From what I've seen on the web, and you have no idea how much web shots have been processed, the 'blad lenses are sharp, have great IQ, but are maybe not as contrasty. If you shoot colour, the Bronica lenses seem to be outstanding. That Nikkor 75 is in a class of it's own, but an 80 Planar is great in a different way. If it were me..... 'blad all the way.

The trouble w/ that statement is what I like, maybe you don't. So I honestly think you will just have to buy them both and shoot them to see which suits your style and look of photography, then sell the "loser". How else will you really, really know? This has always been my scheme when I was gear obsessed, and it worked great. Even if you lose a little money on selling one setup, what w/ selling fees and all, it's gonna be a small amount, and well worth the investment to have a hands on comparison.

Is the Hasselblad system really that much better than the Bronica system, optically? Ruggedness?

Maybe not 35-45 years ago, but today? Yes, and the long-term prospects of it remaining in good condition and being serviceable are much better, but the S2A could last your lifetime too. Never let logic get in the way of a camera decision, unless it's something you are using to make a living.

Maybe not 35-45 years ago, but today? Yes, and the long-term prospects of it remaining in good condition and being serviceable are much better, but the S2A could last your lifetime too. Never let logic get in the way of a camera decision, unless it's something you are using to make a living.
That's my feeling too.

Cheers,

R.

I was lucky enough to buy my friend's Hassie 500C/M for $100.00 bucks with back
and waist level finder, I just had to get a lens and went for a 80mm. I never had one
before and really love the look so if you find a good deal get a Hassie.

... Never let logic get in the way of a camera decision, unless it's something you are using to make a living.

An example is my love of the Rollei 6008 Integral. Being all electronic, when the circuit boards give up, I’m hoping (but doubt) that I will be able to get it repaired.

If I can’t, it’ll make a useful gym weight or impressive doorstop, and, thankfully, I don't use it to make a living.

In the late '70s I had an S2a which I mostly liked, but the shutter noise was like a thunderclap! An accidental drop on concrete rendered it hors de combat, so I bought a Bronica EC, then another one. I built a pretty good system, with two bodies, multiple backs, Polaroid back, and lenses from 40 to 135mm.

By 1982 I was doing quite a bit of work for hotels and frequently needed to do shots with an interior lit by flash, but with natural light showing through windows. The slow flash sync speed of the Bronicas made this difficult, so I sold my complete system for just enough money to buy one Hasselblad 500C body and three lenses. That solved my flash sync problem, but introduced a new one -- the Hasselblads were always difficult for me to focus accurately. Nonetheless, I used them for about ten years before switching to the Mamiya RB67 system, which I found to be my perfect solution for medium format commercial photography.

Hasselblad bodies, lenses, accessories, and service are much more available than Bronica bits, particularly if referring to the older 6x6 cameras. I recall that even in the day, the Bronicas had a reputation for sketchy reliability.

A good friend of mine bought a new Bronica SQA in a somewhat later era. He had nothing but problems with it. A single point sample, for sure, but he felt it was a very costly mistake.

I've had two Hasselblad 500CMs and two Hasselblad SWCs that I bought during the 2001-present time (I sold the whole Hassy kit in 2004 for cash to fund my little business at the time, and pretty much re-bought the entire thing with some more lenses since). The 500CMs were 1981 and 1978 vintage, the SWCs were 1991 and 1978 vintage. I have four lenses for the 500CM now, and three back, all 1978ish vintage. None of this gear has ever given me any problems at all, it all just works and works.

The basic kit of 500CM, Acute Matte focusing screen, A12 back, WL finder, and Planar 80mm f/2.8 T* that I have now cost me about $600 or so, in very nice condition, during 2013 and works flawlessly.

G

. . . Nonetheless, I used them for about ten years before switching to the Mamiya RB67 system, which I found to be my perfect solution for medium format commercial photography.
Dear Dave,

I switched to from Hasselblad to 6x7 for a different reason: festering art directors were far less likely to crop 6x7 at random to fit a page layout.

Cheers,

R.

Hm. Choices.

I need to avoid spending money on camera gear as much as I can. First, I have yet to come into money by selling a very nice Brooks Veriwide 100, and second I need to pay (more) bills.

Diving (back) into a Hasselblad system is just too costly, the Bronica might not be as good and reliable...

Maybe I'll just sell the Veriwide and forward all revenues to bills etc. :(

Thanks guys.

I've owned a Bronica S2 for 5 years, and a 500cm for about 3 years. I've never had any trouble with the Bronica and I've got lots of good photos with it. The Nikkor-P 75/2.8 is a great lens. In some ways the Bronica is easier to use than the Hasselblad. It's bigger and heavier, but not anything like an RB67.
You might also look into the Bronica SQ system.

And the SQ stuff is very reasonably priced . The Bronica S2a were great (and loud) cameras , but , other than their being undeniably gorgeous , they are a bit long in the tooth , so to speak . Peter

An example is my love of the Rollei 6008 Integral. Being all electronic, when the circuit boards give up, I’m hoping (but doubt) that I will be able to get it repaired.

If I can’t, it’ll make a useful gym weight or impressive doorstop, and, thankfully, I don't use it to make a living.

I have a 6002 and I know how you feel!

You must try out both!
Theory is always beautiful, actual usage so very different.
I was never able to focus the Hassie.
My crazed Bronica was a joy to focus!
What happened after, another story.:bang:
Bronicas that made it this far, most likely OK.
Point! When the agency gave me a Hasselblad to use,
I quietly went past my studio, collecting my Mamiya-C series kit,
with 4 lenses. The Hassie a difficult camera to load, change lenses and magazines. No feel of familiarity.
Go see, focus, shoot frames.
Good Luck.

Back