Is bronica rf645 still worth buying?

fbf

Well-known
Local time
10:08 AM
Body with all 3 lenses. (45,65,100)

I have used several 645 bodies, systems (fuji, mamiya,contax, etc...). I have to admit that i liked them all though ga645wi and contax 645 might be my favorite.
I have read a few threads here and there. It seems like most rf645 users give the bronica system very high praise. I am just curious if it is still worth trying the system at current market (for the same price I probably could easily pickup a mamiya 6/7 system or even a set of 4x5 body with lenses).

Thank you.

I had one for a while. I really liked it. I would still have it, except for a repair problem that was never resolved. I bought one from KEH. Used it once, but then had to send it back to them to align the VF patch. It was 'off' vertically upon receipt, but i still got excellent results from it. But, after it came back from KEH, the batteries would drain when the camera was switched off. I sent it back again, and KEH had to send it to Tamron.... And, it was never seen again. After being away for nearly two months, and with no one able to give me a return estimate, i had to accept KEH's offer of a refund.

Before and after the Bronica, i have tried three different models of Fuji autofocus 645s, and had AF problems with each one. So, i can't ever recommend one of them. The MF Bronica, though, gave me really wonderful results. Nice lenses.

Versus the Mamiya 6:
The Bronica's bokeh is MUCH better than the 6's 75mm. I do like the square, though.

Versus the Mamiya 7:
The 7 gives you much more film area. But, the compromise is in the bulk of the camera. The Bronica is significantly more compact. The Mamiya has a pretty deep lens mount and then the lens is long, so carrying it can be more of a burden. I wanted a 645 mostly for travel in 'dodgy' areas and felt the Bronica was much less obvious when it was on a strap or in my hand. And, it fit into a more compact bag.

The Bronica is built very nicely. You may have to get used to the vertical viewfinder, though. I never really warmed to it, even when i was primarily shooting verticals, oddly. But, i didn't own it long enough.

I love the vertical format of the RF as it tends to be something I do a lot in 35mm ... the camera is also not hard to hold rotated if you want landscape.

Mine had been to Tamron not long before I got it from FrankS and I've had no problems so far and hopefully it will be kind to me in the future.

I haven't handled a lot of MF rangefinders but I find it hard to envisage anything more user friendly than the Bronica ... it really is that good IMO. I love the feel of it and it's a camera that takes little more effort to shoot than an M7 or similar.

Looking back ... I got it for all the wrong reasons! I was impressed by what I'd read here at RFF and I liked the look of it ... I didn't really see it as a move into MF. It turns out it was one of the best gear decisions I have ever made.

:)

Last edited:
The Bronica rf645 is my favourite camera by far. Ergonomics are great making it fast in use, and it's very compact for MF. I only have the standard and wide (45mm) lenses. You can read how sharp they are bokeh etc. - all true. They conveniently take the same 58mm filters (not sure what the 100mm takes). Vertical viewfinder format has never been an issue, but that a personal matter. 645 has always been large enough for my purposes, and as others have said, even this produces negatives that are noticeably better quality than 35mm. I like the rectangular aspect ratio of 645 too.

I've occasionally thought of other MF systems, particularly the Mamiya 6 or 7. I haven't tracked prices lately, but I'd be surprised if you could get a Mamiya 7 system for the same price - maybe the 6, but they are older cameras now. For me the great advantage of the Bronica is its smaller size. Reliability? Never had a problem in the 2 odd years i've had mine. It's a keeper.

Steve

Problems, problems

Problems, problems

I had one for a year and loved the results, but the camera spent more time at Bronica being repaired than in my hands. The battery door would never lock right and after losing batteries (the camera is dead without them) I ended up taping the comparment shut. The vertical adjustment of the rangefinder would be thrown off going over a bump while sitting in the passenger seat of my car (although the FDR Drive in NYC is bumpier than most roads) and the exposure adjustment knob on the back never locked and would move out of neutral just by my walking down the street (tape again needed). Finally, after the film winder broke in the middle of a major hike leaving me with lots of 120 film and only a Holga to use, I sold it and bought a Mamiya 6 which thus far (knock on wood) has worked flawlessly.

Problems, problems

Problems, problems

I had one for a year and loved the results, but the camera spent more time at Bronica being repaired than in my hands. The battery door would never lock right and after losing batteries (the camera is dead without them) I ended up taping the comparment shut. The vertical adjustment of the rangefinder would be thrown off going over a bump while sitting in the passenger seat of my car (although the FDR Drive in NYC is bumpier than most roads) and the exposure adjustment knob on the back never locked and would move out of neutral just by my walking down the street (tape again needed). Finally, after the film winder broke in the middle of a major hike leaving me with lots of 120 film and only a Holga to use, I sold it and bought a Mamiya 6 which thus far (knock on wood) has worked flawlessly.

Funny you should ask, because I just pulled mine out of the closet tonight and started shooting a roll of 220 tri-x. It's a great camera to use, with its solid build and cat whisper shutter. Best of all, it's capable of taking superb pictures. Once you decide to go MF, you can't go wrong with the Bronica RF645. And I think any of these cameras can have repair issues. But I also have the GA645zi from Fuji, and it's a fine camera, too.

IMHO they are the most user friendly camera out there. I have two and both have been very reliable. While the mamiya 7 does produce negs which are larger, the RF645 lenses are still superb performers. I would categorize the difference as Mamiya negs being insanely sharp and those from the RF645 perhaps being smoother and lower in contrast. They have a fairly classic look.

The bodies are well made and system is much more compact than the Mamiya 7 in some respects. Changing lenses is much faster etc. In fact, why dont you do a search as I did a long write up on the mamiya 7 and RF645 on this forum.

If you want to work fast and fluidly: RF645
If you want the ultimate quality neg for large prints and can put up with being slowed down by fiddly stuff: Mamiya 7

I have been mostly using the Bronica RF645 for a couple years working on a diptych project. It is a fantastic camera, but I added a Pentax 645n recently so I can do some close up work and use a 55mm lens the Bronica system does not offer. See http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~keirst/ and my new book on Blurb at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/769305. The Bronica lenses are quite good, especially the 45mm, and I have recently been doing many 20x24" C-prints with two negatives printed side by side on a sheet. They are amazingly good in quality.

Thanks everyone...
I just got my hands on the set...wow, I am instantly attracted by it.
Everything is just so perfect, the size, the weight, the control, the lens, even the smell...
Oh boy, I am so glad I made the decision. I am gonna put in some 160NC or astia for a little test run.

btw. the lighter looks nice...

A few questions I just noticed and I would appreciate any input:

1. I had hard time to load the camera at first (the film leader kept slipping over the spool) so I replaced with another spool and it seems working fine. Do you guys feel the loading was a bit clumsy?

2. Is there a very distinct rough feeling when you advance the film? The first 2/3 feels very easy and smooth but at the end of the turn, I had to push pretty hard to finish the whole turn (that's why shutter button couldn't be depressed because I wasn't advancing the film fully).

3. The little "cross" kept flashing in LCD if the film is not advanced properly or has not been advanced. I assume this is normal, right? Well, I don't know if I really like this design or not...but I just want to make sure this is nothing problematic.

Thank you.

well,congratulations I've got a used Bronica rf645 with 65mm (standart )lens and I enjoied it!Unfurtunately the rought feeling of the advance lever is a common defect of bronica rf645 (It happened me too).It will be fixed by tamron repair service.(I had it repaired,the VF/RF aligned,a general CLA for about 70/80 euro all included!!)since then the camera worked well(but I've shot only few rolls,blame on me).I've bought also the 45 &100 lenses and the original speedlight (BUY IT!!).Than I bought a 903swc to go wider!!!!!!!!!!hope it helps!!!!!!!!!!!ciao

well,congratulations I've got a used Bronica rf645 with 65mm (standart )lens and I enjoied it!Unfurtunately the rought feeling of the advance lever is a common defect of bronica rf645 (It happened me too).It will be fixed by tamron repair service.(I had it repaired,the VF/RF aligned,a general CLA for about 70/80 euro all included!!)since then the camera worked well(but I've shot only few rolls,blame on me).I've bought also the 45 &100 lenses and the original speedlight (BUY IT!!).Than I bought a 903swc to go wider!!!!!!!!!!hope it helps!!!!!!!!!!!ciao

Thanks. Just like i thought... I sent the camera to Tamron yesterday for a full check though the camera itself functions normal from what I can tell.
I have got the whole set that also includes the CPL adapter with filters, the flash, the double flash shoe mount :angel:.

Back