Is bulk rolling actually any cheaper - UK?

Thanks, ManGo. The HP5 deal from 7dayshop is what started all this - it works out not very different at all to buying by the 36-exp film.

However, I'm very interested in Megaperls. Bit shocked to find that Fuji are discontinuing bulk Neopan, so I might bite the bullet and grab several tins before it's sold out! Hurts not to be suporting Ilford for once, but...

Anyone else in the UK want to split postage on some Neopan?

Jamie

jamiewakeham said:
Fair enough - I'll try to hunt down some cheaper bulk rolls. If anyone sees any going, do pm me!

Still aggrieves me a little that our American friends pay $38 for a fresh roll, when I've yet to find a fresh roll for less than £40 here!

Thanks for all the input.
Jamie

Just consider how "aggrieved" we'd be if we had to pay the equivalent of 40 pounds here in the US :eek: Consider that exchange rates don't make much sense at times - for example, minimum wage here is much less than minimum wage in the UK going by exchange rate, yet I have a feeling the buying power (or lack thereof) is similar.

Wow - that's starting to get really cheap!

Is this going to be a single 1000ft roll? If so, I don't think it'll fit into my bulk loader. Or do I need to cut it up in a darkroom in some way?

Cheers
Jamie

It is going to be a big can, you gotta cut it up for normal bulk loaders, but you wanted cheap...

Manny has some already, own up Manny,...

Noel

We're missing the point a little, I think. Yes, I think it's cheaper to roll your own imo. However, I like knowing I always have film I like on-hand in copious quantities just as much as the savings. Like anything dealing with "live" photo materials that must be kept away from light, you're a little tense the first time. Don't want to screw up and fog a whole 100' spool but once you do it once, your concerns are allayed, and I find bulk rolling cartridges a rather fun little mindless "Zen" activity you can do while in front of the tube, even in a coffee shop over a cup of joe once you got it in the loader. Getting the film in a loader requires a darkroom or (what I use) a changing bag.

Jamie, I put in an order with Megaperls today, but they are on holiday all this week. If you want to add something to the order PM me and I'll email them.

Kully,

I might be interested in 100ft of Presto 400 - could I join in?

Look forward to hearing from you.

kully said:
Jamie, I put in an order with Megaperls today, but they are on holiday all this week. If you want to add something to the order PM me and I'll email them.

I think I'll pass on the 1000ft of HP5. I just know that I'm going to be trying to cut a hundred foot length off it in my changing bag, and then drop the lot. It's bad enough when you drop a roll of toilet paper and have to respool it...

I've become a real Ilford fan, but maybe it's time to try something new. I'll drop you a pm about the Neopan, Kully.

Cheers
Jamie

Back