Is double-x still available, Cinestill "makes it"

Photo Warehouse in Southern California appears to have spooled down Double-X in stock, and they list 36-exposure single roll, 36-exposure 5-pack, and 100-foot options:

B&H also seems to sell Film Photography Project's X2 Eastman Double-X, but at a rather shocking premium of $10.99 for a 24-exposure roll:

Photo Warehouse in Southern California appears to have spooled down Double-X in stock, and they list 36-exposure single roll, 36-exposure 5-pack, and 100-foot options:

B&H also seems to sell Film Photography Project's X2 Eastman Double-X, but at a rather shocking premium of $10.99 for a 24-exposure roll:
I'm on my second 100' roll of photowarehouse re-spooled 5222. It is cheaper than Ilford and Kodak conventional 35mm film in 100', and it works really well, comparable in quality to traditional grain films from these two vendors in my opinion. I usually shoot at EI 400 or EI 600, and develop in D76 or D96.

I've been playing with Double-X 5222, for no real reason other than boredom. I kind of like it. I've tried it in HC110, PMK, Rodinal 1+50, and pyro-triethanolamine. My favorite thus far is PMK 1+1+100 (14min 20C) which gives thin looking negatives with significant staining that nevertheless retain good shadow detail and have the unusual characteristic of needing basically no adjustments at all with my scanning workflow. Rodinal 1+50 gave objectionably excessive grain, HC110 was perfectly acceptable but with dense highlights that needed tweaking after scanning, the pyro-trieth was totally fine like it is with every film I've tried, and develops quickly. Mind you all this is from experimenting with only 6 or 7 rolls of film so it's far from scientific. But I'll probably keep a bulk roll around in the freezer for when I feel like it.

handrail shadow by eric volpe, on Flickr

tree shadow on wall
by eric volpe, on Flickr

Double X works fine in old cameras (guesstimating exposure)
Rodinal 1+50 works fine, but it is grainy

I've been playing with Double-X 5222, for no real reason other than boredom. I kind of like it. I've tried it in HC110, PMK, Rodinal 1+50, and pyro-triethanolamine. My favorite thus far is PMK 1+1+100 (14min 20C) which gives thin looking negatives with significant staining that nevertheless retain good shadow detail and have the unusual characteristic of needing basically no adjustments at all with my scanning workflow. Rodinal 1+50 gave objectionably excessive grain, HC110 was perfectly acceptable but with dense highlights that needed tweaking after scanning, the pyro-trieth was totally fine like it is with every film I've tried, and develops quickly. Mind you all this is from experimenting with only 6 or 7 rolls of film so it's far from scientific. But I'll probably keep a bulk roll around in the freezer for when I feel like it.

handrail shadow by eric volpe, on Flickr

tree shadow on wall by eric volpe, on Flickr
What speed / e.i. do you use for XX in PMK?

I was using EI 250, I'd probably give it a little more if i were trying to retain a lot of shadow detail I guess.

sorry about the iphone snap, but I figured it would be helpful to show you the actual negatives!

IMG_8007_.jpg

Back