Is heavy dampening normal for M-Hexanon 28?

galavanter

Established
Local time
3:07 AM
I finally picked up a 28 M-Hexanon that I won three weeks ago online. It is like new and came with original box, papers, case, caps, shroud, and a UV filter ($664).

The only thing that surprised me was the heavy (though smooth) dampening on the focus ring. Any more and I would not think I could get used to it, though I intend to, as this lens is built like a tank in every way and performs well.

I also noticed that with the lens off the camera and focused to infinity, if I look at the "notch" in the M mount I can see on the threads the tiniest bit of greenish blue gunk that has hardened.

I already have the UC35 M-Hexanon (different design of course with lighter dampening and a tab) and might get the 50.

Maybe it will loosen up with use. It could have sat for years I suppose.

Is this heavy dampening the norm? Is the 50 the same? What's the green stuff?

My 28, 90, and 50 are all damped about the same. That is, these three are tighter than my 35. BTW, I've got an extra 50 I might be selling soon, so look me up when you're ready to buy one.

:)

Hi Jim,

The focusing rings on my Hex lenses have a much heavier feel than the CV lenses I own. I have four Hex lenses and they all feel the same. I've always thought it was because they are so well constructed. Not sure about the "gunk" on the threads.

I am sure you'll be pleased with any Hex lens you purchase. They are all beautifully made and fun to use. Are you using the 28 on the Hexar RF?

Cheers,

Lou

Thanks for the replies. Interesting, two for "quick and smooth" (50's and 35's) and two for heavier and/or tighter. Of course it's subjective in the end and maybe for me it's because I have limited experience with M lenses. The smaller size would add to the heavier feel compared to slr lenses, although I must say I think I would feel the same if this dampening were on a slr lens. Like I said it's heavy but smooth so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Lou I have an R-D1 but if I wasn't on the road constantly and film and scanning were practical the Hexar RF would be my choice. I have read a lot about it and I have become sold on it and the Hexanon lenses, even though they have become close in price to the Zeiss ZM's. I have bid on the Hexar kit before, telling myself I needed the 50 and I could take advantage of the full FOV of the Hexar with my lenses. The fellow I bought my 28 from was auctioning a kit too but I couldn't swing all that cash at once. If I get a Hexar RF, I would have a digital RF with a cocking lever and a film RF with motor drive. How cool would that be?:)

I probably will get a 21mm next since I found a used R-D1 21mm finder (brighter than R-D1 viewfinder), which I have mounted on the camera now even though I have no lens for it. :) I just picked all this stuff up and am bored in a motel in a strange city. I'm doing the relax but tomorrow will go out and take photos. I still want to know what the green stuff is.

the two hexanons i have (28 and 50mm) and the one 90mm i've handled are dampened the same as the leica lenses that don't have tabs (current 50mm summicron, both 75mm and 90mm, etc.). the tabbed leica lenses are lighter.

My 28 is definitely stiffer in focusing than the rest of my Hexanons (35, 50, 90). Nothing to be concerned about; it'll loosen up, I expect.

All of the M-Hexanon lenses I've had feel heavily damped. I think it's normal. My current 28/2.8 was really well used before I bought it and the resistance in the focus ring has not lessened.

Probably Cu oxide like the green stuff on civic building domes, not a problem, may reoccur even in dry atmosphere like we get in UK. Lots of my kit does that.
Wipe it off with rag, if it annoys apply a little PTFE liquid, Tandy or Radio shack do this in small applicators, inert and wont creep, il will run if you put on too much.

Noel

Perhaps a bit late to the show, but for what it's worth:

my 50-Hexanon is the most dampened lens I've ever had the pleasure to have. The best thing about it is that you won't accidentally get it turned away from the focus you've set. If you're shooting hyperfocal, that's a must..

Back