Is it Nikon sp original black?

オレンジ

Local time
12:27 PM
このニコンspがオリジナルの黒かどうか知っている人はいますか?

綺麗すぎてノブにepマークがあるので怪しいと思います。

専門家の方、教えて下さい。IMG_1336.jpegIMG_1338.jpegIMG_1337.jpegIMG_1339.jpegIMG_1340.jpegIMG_1341.jpegIMG_1345.jpegIMG_1344.jpeg

The cover over the wind lever has 7 rings, the correct one for a serial number this early has 3 rings.
The 7-ring cover came later, overlapped Nikon F production. My 6216xxx (edit, current SP) has three rings, my 622xxx has seven.

The self-timer lever is like that pictures in Rotoloni's book. Shintaro painted the level all-black on my Black paint SP. Sent it to him some 25 years ago. He dechromes the plates before painting. He did not repaint the side-panels on mine, left them original. The Paint matches perfectly.

As the cover over the wind lever is not original: I would be suspicious.

Last edited:
このニコンSPは少し私の前SHINTAROさんから貰ったカメラ似てる。

The cover over the wind lever has 7 rings, the correct one for a serial number this early has 3 rings.
The 7-ring cover came later, overlapped Nikon F production. My 6214xxx has three rings, my 622xxx has seven.

The self-timer lever is like that pictures in Rotoloni's book. Shintaro painted the level all-black on my Black paint SP. Sent it to him some 25 years ago. He dechromes the plates before painting. He did not repaint the side-panels on mine, left them original. The Paint matches perfectly.

As the cover over the wind lever is not original: I would be suspicious.
Also there is motorplate on the bottom. I suspect this is a repaint SP which was originally sold with replica S-36 motor (there are quite a few floating around on Yahoo! auction etc.) fitted with a black back cover.

I saw the Motorplate... which could be added later.

I do not have one on the Nikon RF, but added a NOS plate to my Nikon F Bullseye and had it Synced for the F36 with Remopak. Essex did that for me - also some 25 years ago, repaired the F36 as well.

rotoloni's book shows a black paint group that ends a little earlier than this
still a nice looking camera -- most sp's with a motor plate are very well used -
the early black paint wasn't as durable as the F cameras - & the pros embraced the motor drive
the one I have shows quite a bit of wear

It is difficult to paint the bottom plate/back, due to the rivets. Very difficult if not impossible to find replacement chromed rivets. Maybe Shintaro had access to some exotic Japanese rivets? :D

Shintaro painted the Rivets on my SP.

Pictures for comparison. Taken with my N8008s and SB-29, 20 years ago. I still have the camera.
BLACKSP.JPGBLACKSP2.JPGBLACKSP3.JPGBLACKSP5.JPGNIKONSP2.JPG
Shintaro did not paint (redo) the sections already painted Black on the original Chrome SP. The Yellow under the chipped paint, lower-left of the VF- is original.
I picked up this camera, near mint "except" a dent on the nameplate. Shintaro removed the dent, then painted it. Was worth it to me to have the dent removed.

Last edited:
Shintaro was the master. He painted an M3 for me which I picked up from him in Tokyo in 2000.

I hope to approach what he accomplished! I have an S2 currently in progress and the rivets will also be painted black.

Curious if anyone has had Kanto paint one of their Nikons, if so, do they paint the rivets too?

At most: this camera might go for $2,000- given that it is most likely a repaint without paperwork, probably closer to $1250~$1500.

That would be "about" 200,000 Japanese Yen.

Back