Is it true, still? M3 the greatest?

Emotions aside, something in the digital realm seems a more realistic wearer of the best gadget label. Going on impact and the notion that size does matter, I'd say the laptop wins the prize, with the cellphone a hair's width behind.

The M3 is a remarkable camera, if you use film, can deal with a meterless camera, and be happy shooting no wider than 50mm without addons and workarounds. If you don't meet those conditions, try another camera. But, whatever you do, and whatever you buy, don't be seduced by a reputation for quality and durability if the camera can't do what you really want to do. If it is never used, any camera can last a very long time sitting on the shelf.

Sorry to play the devil's advocate, but what objectively makes the M3 the "greatest" camera? (besides that the M mount has become the de facto RF lens mount standard nowadays. Rational facts, please, I'm not a Leica addict and I'm not a loather either. Thank you for giving facts! :D

I guess it's subjective then ... I have both cameras and as much as I love the M3 for me the M2 is a better camera because it suits my use better.

Well, I was wondering how long it would be before this thread deteriorated...:p

Probably last as long as the film v digital threads!!!:D

Forget these old dogs with seperating finders, crumbling black covers, always needing cla's, get yourself a proper M,
M6,
:D

Well, I was wondering how long it would be before this thread deteriorated...:p

Probably last as long as the film v digital threads!!!:D

We love our M's and we're very passionate about what we feel is better.

To me a happy M3 owner is someone who doesn't own an M2! :angel:

It's 1am so good night guys, I'll leave you to the "M" wars :D hope you won't be throwing Hektor's at each other :)

People must visit RFF and see this type of thread and think to themselves ...

"These people need to get out more!"

:p

Is it true, still? M3 the greatest?

Yes.

Then again - all Ms were created equal. Except the M5. :)

M3: The Shelby Cobra among cameras.

We love our M's and we're very passionate about what we feel is better.

To me a happy M3 owner is someone who doesn't own an M2! :angel:

I am a very happy owner of two M3's, but I am also a very happy owner of two M2's! I have to see a doctor I'm afraid.

Erik.

3758372531_94e6d9b73e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought an M3 last night. Had one a few years ago but the rangfinder was too dim. If you are shooting a 50mm lens, there is no better camera. I bought this just for use with a 50 summicron and somtimes the Nikkor 85mm f2. I shoot M6 and M4 for wider angle lens.

Those who besmirch the M5 never had love in their lives... :)

Live and learn: I have one of each... and when it's hard to decide which is the favorite I just take my M4-2. ;)

Keith is right...

I like the M2 better, but only because I can shoot a 50mm on it and still see outside the framelines while wearing glasses. Years ago when I didn't need glasses, the M3 was my favorite.

Back