Is six-year-old digital camera, the R-D1, worth considering?

scottwallick

ambition ≥ skill
Local time
1:41 AM
Have an opportunity to pick up a Epson overhauled R-D1s in like new condition, and, to my surprise tonight, I told the fellow I would consider it.

I consider its digital specs and I think, nah, but on the two occasions I've handled the R-D1, I thought it was really neat. Before I had the M9, I was just waiting for a good one to show up.

So let me ask, and R-D1 owners, past and present, please answer with your personal thoughts, is there really anything unique about the R-D1? Why are you using it? Or is it just holding you over until you pick up an M8/M8.u/M8.2/M9, and would they be exclusive?

It's just a camera. There, I said it so you won't. Of course it is, they all are. Beyond that, does the R-D1, a digital camera, have any place in 2010, 2011, etc? Today, would you recommend a friend to pick one up?

Thanks.

no surprise here but i love mine and would highly recommend others to use it.
the leica drf might have better files etc. but for me, looking at my images, i am very happy.
the appeal of the m9 is that my 35 is a 35 on it.

the surprise for me is that as a black and white shooter for all my photo life, the rd1 has turned me on to colour.
i could go on but you get the idea, i love the rd1.

So let me ask, and R-D1 owners, past and present, please answer with your personal thoughts, is there really anything unique about the R-D1?

That's an understatement!

* First, Digital rangefinder... makes it 1 of 2 brands... as a choice

The following make it 1
* 1:1 viewfinder
* Digital that has a film winder
* Digital that has analog dials

I have yet to run into anyone else who has one. Most of the time, people have no clue what to think of it... Is it a Leica (mounted lenses)? Is it a film camera? Is it a fancy point and shoot? Where's the branding? Is "R-d1" the brand or model?

Now I"m not saying its uniqueness is enough to make it a camera for everyone. It definitely has its quirks.. both good and bad.

Why are you using it? Or is it just holding you over until you pick up an M8/M8.u/M8.2/M9, and would they be exclusive?

When I purchased my M8, I intended to sell it... never did. It still finds use quite a lot.

It's just a camera. There, I said it so you won't. Of course it is, they all are. Beyond that, does the R-D1, a digital camera, have any place in 2010, 2011, etc? Today, would you recommend a friend to pick one up?

The images it produces will be the same no matter the year... Cameras just don't start making bad images because they've been deemed obsolete. Of course, there will be better products that can produce better files but the "need" to get something better on is not the camera.. .but you.

Would I recommend it to a friend... depends on that person. Are they hung up on the latest and greatest of equipment? Are they going to say.. "its just 6mp"? Are they experienced with Rangefinders? Now I think about it... nope... I don't have any friends that would appreciate the R-D1 for what it is. I no doubt have gotten many compliments on many photos from the same group of friends without mentioning to them it was taken with the "obsolete" R-D1. Heck... most thought I was crazy enough to dump a nice AF system for it.

Last edited:
From lots of images I have seen, the RD-1's sensor is really wonderful: sharp and with a very beautiful, real and clean tone both for B&W and color. I'd get it.

Cheers,

Juan

I've had a number of digital cameras, in different sizes (but no Leica's), and its the only camera I've not considered getting rid of.

-I love its handling.
-I love the lenses that can be had with it
-i love the 1:1 viewfinder. Sometimes shooting with both eyes open (moving objects etc)
-I love the shutter (its very precise, even in AE), even the noise (sounds like someone snapping a pencil)
-I love the IQ, even if resolution is "only" 6Mpix. Its sharp and creamy at the same time. I've compared it to BW film I've taken lately and i compares well (used R-D1 as proofing tool and can therefore compare pictures side by side). It doesn't tolerate highlights as well as BW film, but what digital sensor does? And to think that colour is even better. Look at Joe's gallery and see his rather recent captures of fruit at the market. Quite exquisite. The R-D1 certainly has a signature. Once you've used it, you'll be able to pick out R-D1 captures amongst any mix of other images from other cameras.
-I really like the analogue dials. And that most of the important settings can be done extra-menu.
-I'm quite impressed with its build quality, even if it does shed paint quite easily
-I'm not mad about the battery life, but a fully charged replacement 1800mAh battery will normally do you fine for filling a 2GB SD card (with RAW+JPEG)
-I'm not too keen on the rangefinder patch going out of alignment. Mine has needed re-alignment once - I did it myself. Nor the wonky framelines, mine are 1-2 deg off.

-Would I recommend it to any of my friends? No, I wouldn't. Would I recommend it to another RF aficionado? Oh yes!

the interface cant be beat ......... many analog control on a dRF. As well-put above, there is something special about the images I get due to the synergy of the sensor/circuits/ and M lenses that I can put on it. Its just plain fun.
But you may not want to pick one up, Scott, yer M9 will be giving you dirty looks .....

Today, would you recommend a friend to pick one up?

Nope. I´d get a Sony NEX to shoot Leica or Voigtländer digital on a budget. Digital imaging has improved siginificantly over the last 5 years with much better dynamic range, better film like colors out of the box and dramatically less noise (which becomes most important once you try to bring up shadows in post processing).

I wouldnt buy one today.

If it's a recently 'Epson overhauled R-D1s ' in as like new condition, and the price is 'right', and you don't financially over-stretch yourself, can you really lose out? Chances are if you don't like it there will be someone who will be prepared to pay nearly as much for it to take it off your hands.
Sounds an experience not to be missedjesse

So let me ask, and R-D1 owners, past and present, please answer with your personal thoughts, is there really anything unique about the R-D1? Why are you using it? Or is it just holding you over until you pick up an M8/M8.u/M8.2/M9, and would they be exclusive?

I'm using it because I like its files, the viewfinder, the advance lever, the tuck away screen, and the general handling. Also it is a fraction of the price of an M so losing it (dropping it or whatever) would be less of a hit. For what I use a rangefinder for, I cannot fathom why I (other people may indeed have different use patterns) should invest in an M8/9.

I like it a lot, it is a joy to use, but, and that may be important to you, I also consider it my most fragile camera. So far it has never failed me, but the tin-tin click of the shutter, the sudden drop in battery voltage etc. is not exactly awe inspiring. Some may say it is an old Alfa compared to a Leica Porsche. I dunno much about cars obviously...

It would never make it as the sole camera I took to a wedding, if I were asked to shoot. But it would make it into the bag if I could take only one digital camera with me.

I have heard about very few people having regretted buying it - an they only did so if they had persistent quality problems. But it should be possible to find a few M8 owners having the same feeling.

I do not have enough experience with LR3 to comment, but up to and including LR2 I preferred converting .ERF files in the supplied software. The tiff files it creates are beautiful and the tool well designed with easy corrections for vignetting and colour.

I once sold an Xpan and ended up buying another. I will never sell my Epson, since they are hard to come by and I would kick myself endlessly.

Good luck in deciding.

PS: enjoy your new Epson ;-)

I have had 3, when I sold the first two I immediately missed them. I don't think I'll sell the present one.

The reasons I recommend it echo a lot of the comments above. But I'll add - you can shoot IR with it but still use it without filters and get good color.

It is one of the few classic digitals.

If you like using a rangefinder there is no substitute at the price. It seems to me the images are more film-like than what my newer digital imaging devices produce. I would not recommend it to a friend unless they already use and like RF cameras.

I got mine used (mint) from keh in october 2009. I've been using it a lot together with my M6.

I do think sometimes about selling it and just staying with the M6, or selling it and getting an M8, but nah, it's not worth it.

The R-D1's high iso is fantastic. I never worry about setting iso1600 because it will look like an iso400 from a current model dslr. I find it to be that good.

The IR sensitivity is there (try shooting ember and you'll get purple tones), but I've only experienced color shift when shooting ember or those orange heating lamps. apart from that, you even forget it has that 'weak spot'.

I can mount and use my DR Summicron with no issues, Take that, M8 :)

The camera feels good when being held and the advance lever and folding LCD give it a completely analogue look/feel, and people usually take it for a 15 year old film camera (which is great for me, less chances of having it stolen). The analogue dials are really sweet to use, I change settings without looking at the camera.

The crop factor is bigger than the M8's, but... with most focal lengths you just 'skip' to the next one: a 35mm will give the field of view of a 50mm, 50mm becomes 75mm, 75 becomes 90, etc. with wide angles it's a little different but still rather close. with the M8 a 50mm "becomes" a 66mm.. it's a bit weird.

weak points: nothing wider than equivalent of 42mm on the viewfinder. for those who like wider angles like 35mm and 28mm it's a bummer. if you prefer shooting 50mm most of the time, should be alright. I ended up getting a 21mm to be my "35mm" (actually 32mm), but I'll need an external finder (I could guesstimate framing, but I rather use a finder).

It has no brightlines for 90mm, which for some can be a bummer

lower rf baselength than a Leica's, so focusing a 90mm f2 is a no-no. but with other lenses is fine, I focus my 50mm f1.5 perfectly. so it's not a big deal.

The RF patch and the brightlines are static, and brightlines are usually tilted... but use the RF patch as a horizontal/vertical guide and problem solved. RF might come off alignment more often that it would on an M8, but then again you can readjust it for free, whereas the Leica's needs to be send for adjustment$...

all in all, I'd recommend it to someone that already loves shooting with rangefinders and is feeling the need for a digital body.

Go for it you won't regret the experience whether it works out for you or, you pass it along. Mine stays even with M8 now back in the bag also.

Nope. I´d get a Sony NEX to shoot Leica or Voigtländer digital on a budget. Digital imaging has improved siginificantly over the last 5 years with much better dynamic range, better film like colors out of the box and dramatically less noise (which becomes most important once you try to bring up shadows in post processing).

I wouldnt buy one today.

Wait to you see the Sony NEX in the wild and in use before jumping on it.:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony-nex5.shtml

Early pre-production samples were less than stellar...

...is there really anything unique about the R-D1?...would you recommend a friend to pick one up?
The R-D1 (or R-D1s) is the unique digital M3 available. With its 0.91x VF magnification, the M3 lets you shoot both eyes open and the R-D1 is even better at that due to its 1:1 viewfinder. I would then recommend the R-D1 to those who prefer the M3 over all other M cameras. But i would warn them that it is a discontinued camera with no serious support from Epson. Otherwise, the R-D1 is less IR sensitive than the M8 and its results at 1600 iso are better with a good raw converter. No mandatory chimping with the manual controls and reversible display. No mandatory filtering either, although IR-cut filters may be necessary with tungsten sometimes. No mandatory coding finally, all Leica and non-Leica lenses can be used freely on the Epsons. To me, the R-D1 is not only the unique digital M3, it is also the unique DRF giving me the feeling that i shoot a true Leica. Old Leica user speaking. ;)

Back