Is the x30 worth buying today 04/2016?

Lobo

Minimalist
Local time
12:07 AM
Hi,
I sold many of my analog film cameras to reduce my collection. And my little ixus is going away. I don't have a replacement digital camera. And by the way I want to improve one step up without too much cost.
I like the way of analog shooting and I ask myself if the x30 can be my new digital. I prefer good handling and experience over image quality. I'm only a small step away to buy myself a x30.
Is it worth buying it today? Price here round 370 Euro.

Gesendet von meinem Lenovo A3500-FL mit Tapatalk

Yes, ist is.
Just for me it was and if you ever felt comfortable with a Leica M or an M-like camera you will enjoy the X30 too.

I say no.

Having has an X10 a few years ago and knowing generally how they work I rarely took the camera out.

Im similar to you and I found the X10 lacking in so many areas. DOF on these cameras is basically unlimited all the time. Unless you use macro mode or zoom in tight on something. For normal shooting where 35mm could get nice subject separation you simply cannot with these point and shoots.

As long as you are aware of this then its a non issue but I pitched my X10. Also I'm not a fan of editing fuji files. Both my X10 and X100 were sold with no remorse.

I am a big fan of Fuji and I have X100s, Xt1(x2), Xpro2 but for this sort of camera I think the Panasonic Lumix line is a lot better.

Despite the the suggestions here that the X30 is not worth buying, I think its definitely worth a look. I had the X20 and liked it a LOT! Not so much for image quality, although the image quality is excellent for daytime photography. I liked it because its a size and set of features that entice one to carry it all the time. That, in my opinion, is an extremely valuable attribute of a camera.

I say yes.

Having had an X10 for a few years now I always take it out, it's become my default carry camera.

One great thing about it is the sensor is small enough to get food depth of field, getting fore- and backgrounds nicely in focus, because content is king and subject matter rules.

35mm can't get nice, wide DOF images like these smaller sensor cameras.

As long as you are aware of this then it's a non-issue, but I'm not about to pitch my X10. And I like the OOC JPEGs, especially when shooting in the EXR dynamic 400 mode.

~Joe

One great thing about it is the sensor is small enough to get food depth of field, getting fore- and backgrounds nicely in focus

~Joe

this is true, for food the small sensor is great. I make food images for a friend who has a food blog and always use a small sensor camera for this reason. But I use an LX5 (oldie but goodie) and results are good even at fairly high ISO.

I also have an eye on a cheaper Micro4/3 camera for a more futuresave option. Perhaps some day i have the money to invest in a good lens. A cheap m4/3 camera should be a Panasonic GF7,around 400Euro.
Would you recommend me the Fuji or the Panasonic?

I also have an eye on a cheaper Micro4/3 camera for a more futuresave option. Perhaps some day i have the money to invest in a good lens. A cheap m4/3 camera should be a Panasonic GF7,around 400Euro.
Would you recommend me the Fuji or the Panasonic?

The general advantage of small "evil" cameras over the Fuji X30 is the use of small DOFs with quick lenses. The disadvantages are bigger cameras and much bigger lenses.
And higher prices when it comes to fast lenses...

So if you have an eye on small system cameras look for models with bigger sensors, too. Sony and Fuji are offering nice small bodies with APS-C Sensor. With APS-C you can use a variety of old lenses nearer their origin focal lengths than (Micro-) fourthirds can do.

It all depends....
The price is what the market considers fair, so, yes, it is a good buy. The real question is whether it is a good buy for you. State your intended use and we can tell you some.

Why do you consider m4/3? To me, I would go APS-C. I know a lot of folk here can't stand the menus of the Sony Nex, but as a photographic tool a Nex 5 (any version) with a Sigma 19mm or 30mm lens is unbeatable: cheap and great IQ.
Also, a used Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A also are great options.

These small sensor cameras are great if you like a big DoF, if you, like me, prefer subject separation a bigger sensor (APS-C) would be better.

Perhaps i want also ask, if the X10,the camera from 2011, is a good buy for 150Euro?
Seems way overpriced, and you should be able to find a better (similar type) product for that price quite easily. But if you like the features, it's not a bad price for a camera that you know you would be using for a long time.

Perhaps i want also ask, if the X10,the camera from 2011, is a good buy for 150Euro?

At that price if it's clean and functioning well it's a very good price! They go for more normally... It's a formidable camera, above all for B&W and I like it a lot.

Yes its done.I ordered it secondhand.it'll be my only camera,for everything,i'm what people consider as an Enthusiast and retrocollector.so i think its a good choise,despite its shortcomings,compared to its newer siblings.

Seems way overpriced, and you should be able to find a better (similar type) product for that price quite easily. But if you like the features, it's not a bad price for a camera that you know you would be using for a long time.
In german eBay its price is OK.but just for the Protokoll,what similar products would you suggest for that price?

Yes its done.I ordered it secondhand.it'll be my only camera,for everything,i'm what people consider as an Enthusiast and retrocollector.so i think its a good choise,despite its shortcomings,compared to its newer siblings.

I think you won't regret it if you are aware of it's shortcomings and quirks. It's a great camera that gives great results and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Don't listen to talk about the small sensor and 'only 12Mp'.....

I shot my daughter's wedding with an X10 a week ago and the pictures are great!

Back