is there an update on batteries for the M9?

There has been a lot of advancement in third party battery quality over the years, not like the experience I had when buying such a battery for my first digital camera, a Panasonic TZ-3. I used it once, had a hard time getting it out of the camera, and then it overheated and swelled up when I charged it for the second time. Now you don't hear about such things, and there are several more companies in the market producing cells for many different brands. I don't think we'll ever run out of choices for battery replacement except in the more obscure and down market cameras hardly anyone uses. That is the one issue with OEM's making different casings for each new model of camera they produced, no commonality across platforms, thus some cameras are just going to be left behind.

PF

I have three M9 batteries, two spares bought in 2010 shortly after I got my M9. They seem to be working fine, letting me shoot hundreds of images in a day and drop to only 75% at the most.

After using the M9 for a day or two, the battery goes into the charger and then back into the camera. The batteries have only ever dropped to zero once or twice in the last eleven years. At a guess, these batteries will last another five years or more, who knows?

On another note, I've had two batteries for my Panasonic GH3/GH4 die outright, but I use them much harder than the M9 batteries. I tend to use them until the battery runs down completely. One was an original Panasonic, the other is a third party battery from BetterBatt (an Australian company). They would have seen hundreds of complete charge cycles in the last 5-8 years. This might give an indication of how use and life cycle are correlated. As I now have a S5, and those batteries are backwards compatible with the G9, I'll start buying S5 batteries and transition to them as the GH4/G9 batteries die.

Three batteries seem the goldilocks number for any digital camera: One in the camera to shoot with; one in the bag for a spare; and one in the charger (when it need charging).

A tailor once told me to have three blue blazers: One in the car; one in the closet; and one at the cleaners. He apparently didn't think one was needed to wear. Except for that, the same idea applies to batteries, I would say.

This is an old topic that was discussed many times before, but I wonder if in 2021 we are getting closer to a time at which it will be difficult to buy a new battery for the M8 or M9. Should M9 owners now be looking to buy new Leica batteries for the M9?

I have been using two Leica batteries in my M9 but my M8 is working well with other brand batteries. I know that different users of both cameras have reported differently about this issue in past online discussions. [I have two Leica batteries for my M10]

It is easier than ever to buy not overpriced and working battery for M8/9 cameras. 240 series Leicas are just pooped comparing to those.
I have two working honestly priced MiC from 2016, they are just as good as Leica labeled MiC from 2015.
The only difference is absence of chip to or something. With this something Leica labeled MiC is just working.
With honest MiC and missing something it has to be fully discharged by regular use, before Leica charger will charge it. And then this honest MiC is inserted in M9, it will say "battery is discharged", all what is needed - shutter release press and battery shows full charge.

I have three batteries for my M9, the original (~2005 or 2006) and two after market ones I bought for backup. All 3 are still going strong. BHphotovideo.com still has them in stock. Sort of pricey for what they are.

I now have two Leica batteries for the M9 and three non-Leica batteries for my M8. I also have two Leica batteries for my M10. They seem to be all working well so far.

Probably a good idea as well to upgrade to a smart charger that can do Leica batteries.

Personally been using a Nitecore ULM9 charger instead of the Leica OEM ones. Just having the display, protected/smart charging circuit, and battery life indicator (as well as the tiny size) was a no brainer back when I got it. Seems to keep my batteries close to original voltage and mAh without too much degredation.

Probably a good idea as well to upgrade to a smart charger that can do Leica batteries.

Personally been using a Nitecore ULM9 charger instead of the Leica OEM ones. Just having the display, protected/smart charging circuit, and battery life indicator (as well as the tiny size) was a no brainer back when I got it. Seems to keep my batteries close to original voltage and mAh without too much degredation.

I just purchased a M8 and needed a battery and charger, I purchased of the same Nitecore charger on Amazon and a used battery from B&H a Pearstone,
telling me if the battery is good and everything else. It's holding the charge no problems, but I would love to find a Leica battery just for having a extra pack.

I use the Nitecore chargers for my M9 and M240 batteries exclusively. Small, light, and capable.

I have the Nitecore chargers as well as the Leica OEM charger; I've had them for the SL, M240/M262, and now CL batteries. What I have found is that the Leica charger does a slightly better job of topping up the battery to the max possible amp hour capacity: the Nitecore chargers are a bit more conservative about what they consider to be full charge and max charge rate to achieve. But all are good... The difference is only slight.

G

I buy the eBay M8/M9 batteries. I have read they do not work. This has not been my experience. I have bought four as I have an M8.2 and an M9 so that brings to total to six. Belt and suspenders. They were ~US$20 on eBay and are now ~US$25. If the Leica brand were seven times better it would be a good buy. For the sake of argument let's say it is twice as good. That's paying an awfully lot for something with Leica spelled across it and little else. Leica is a camera not a lifestyle.

I have one generic ebay battery for my M8.2. Works fine, for the most part, but the camera has no idea how much charge it has. The little LCD gauge usually shows as empty even when the Nitecore charger indicates a full charge. When the empty indicator actually starts flashing it means it's really and truly about to die. I always carry extra batteries so this one is usually my spare.

I have the original Leica charger around somewhere but I seldom use it. I'll have to see if it will charge this battery any more effectively.

After reading this post last week I ordered a brand new Leica battery from B&H for my M9.

This makes three Leica batteries - the one that came with it 6 years ago and the one I also bought from B&H three years ago.

The new one will stay unwrapped in a cabinet!

I buy the eBay M8/M9 batteries. I have read they do not work. This has not been my experience. I have bought four as I have an M8.2 and an M9 so that brings to total to six. Belt and suspenders. They were ~US$20 on eBay and are now ~US$25. If the Leica brand were seven times better it would be a good buy. For the sake of argument let's say it is twice as good. That's paying an awfully lot for something with Leica spelled across it and little else. Leica is a camera not a lifestyle.

I think, after M10 prices went well above 5K, it became unique lifestyle.

Back