Is there enough choice in the Fuji X series

Beemermark

Mentor
Local time
10:17 AM
I mean the title to be sarcastic. Looking at the Fuji X lineup there are now 26 models listed. You can only compare 3 at a time on the Fujifilm web site. Given the number that share the same sensor and general features how does one select a Fuji X.

Do you want Bayer or X-Trans?

Do you want 16MP or 24/26MP?

Do you want interchangeable lenses?

Do you want an eye-level viewfinder? If so, do you want OVF in addition to EVF?

Those basic questions will prune most of the field.

yes, they split things along viewfinder and LCD, for the most part, given each sensor size

OVF/EVF + fixed lens
OVF/EVF + interchangeable lens
EVF+flip screen
EVF+ fixed LCD
LCD only

The exception to this is the X-H1 which has IBIS, and the new X-T3 which has a slightly more resolution, backside illuminated, gen4 sensor.

There're over 100 F-mount cameras. Surely it's quite hard to choose from?

The current (2nd) generation Fuji really has 9 cameras. Sorted by body types in order of rangefinder-type/ SLR-type/ fixed lens compact:

Budget: X-A5, X-T100, XF10;
Pro-consumer: X-E3, X-T20, X100F;
Professional: X-Pro2, X-T2 plus the X-H1 (basically a video-oriented X-T2)

The budget cameras recycles some technologies from the past and were OK-ishly made. Still make nice pictures. The Pro-consumer and professional cameras all share the same newer and very capable sensor, processor and AF system. The professional ones are more beefier and have pro features like weather sealing.

The recently-announced X-T3 spearheads a new (3rd) generation of cameras that will come in the next couple of years.

Since you didn't specify the features you're after, just browse the product pages to see better how these cameras differ on details like the hybrid viewfinder.

You're kind of putting the cart in front of the horse. The first thing to decide is what you're looking for in a new camera and then you make your decision based on your wants and needs.

Fuji's big attraction for me was the layout of the controls. They are comfortable cameras in that respect.

Fuji's big attraction for me was the layout of the controls. They are comfortable cameras in that respect.

That is another differentiator in the lineup too. The more budget models have more of a mode dial and command dial instead of a dedicated shutter speed and dedicated exposure compensation dial.

Shawn

I mean the title to be sarcastic. Looking at the Fuji X lineup there are now 26 models listed. You can only compare 3 at a time on the Fujifilm web site. Given the number that share the same sensor and general features how does one select a Fuji X.
They all have different features and prices. Something for everyone. I think they could rationalize their offerings to four (X100F, XPro2, XT3, GFX50). The rest are flotsam and jetsam, introduced to fill specific price points.

This Is Meant To Be Sarcastic Too

This Is Meant To Be Sarcastic Too

... Given the number that share the same sensor and general features how does one select a Fuji X.

It's a test. If one is clever enough to figure out how to select a Fuji X, one gets to enjoy ownership.

They all have different features and prices. Something for everyone. I think they could rationalize their offerings to four (X100F, XPro2, XT3, GFX50). The rest are flotsam and jetsam, introduced to fill specific price points.

I enjoy my X-E3 very much, having bought and sold the X100F, X-Pro2 and the X-T2.

It's smaller than any of these cameras, has a better grip than the X100F, newer and easier-to-use layout than the gen1.5 X-Pro2, no (what I would call) hybrid distraction and is just as capable.

Only wish it had weather sealing so the WR primes could have the most compact body option possible. Guess you can't have everything.

Back