Is there such thing as a "DOF rule of thumb"?

pedro.m.reis

Newbie but eager to learn
Local time
8:36 AM
I know that there are many programs that i can use to calculate the DOF of a giving lens and aperture. But i was wondering if there is a DOF rule of thumb or a manual calculator that i can use. Anyone knows such thing?

Hi,

thats a quite difficult question. The best experience in my opinion is to use the scale on a manual lens.
Because the depth of field is no linear function that depends on various factors a separate table only can be handy for one format and the specific lens.

For Palm-PDAs there is a nice program that might be useful for practic photography in the field.

Regards, Axel

Here's a couple of rules that are useful ONLY if you're using a 50mm lens and 35 film:

- The DOF at 2 meters is the f-stop times ten, in centimeters. E.g., if you're focusing at 2 meters, at f/2.8, then your DOF is 28 cm, or about a one foot.

- If you halve the distance, then you quarter the DOF. Using the previous example, if you halved the distance to 1 meter, then the DOF would be quartered from 28 to 28/4 or 7 cm.

- Double the distance and you quadruple the DOF. Using the first example, if you doubled the distance to 4 meters, then the DOF would be quadrupled from 28 to 28*4, or 112 cm.

If you use a 35mm lens, you can use the same rule but multply the DOF by two. Thus, at 2 meters, f/2.8, the DOF would be 28*2 = 56 cm.

Hope that helps.

antiquark said:
Here's a couple of rules that are useful ONLY if you're using a 50mm lens and 35 film:

- The DOF at 2 meters is the f-stop times ten, in centimeters. E.g., if you're focusing at 2 meters, at f/2.8, then your DOF is 28 cm, or about a one foot.

- If you halve the distance, then you quarter the DOF. Using the previous example, if you halved the distance to 1 meter, then the DOF would be quartered from 28 to 28/4 or 7 cm.

- Double the distance and you quadruple the DOF. Using the first example, if you doubled the distance to 4 meters, then the DOF would be quadrupled from 28 to 28*4, or 112 cm.

If you use a 35mm lens, you can use the same rule but multply the DOF by two. Thus, at 2 meters, f/2.8, the DOF would be 28*2 = 56 cm.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful!

I never thought of the DOF as something I'd want to measure, but now I can see how this info may come in handy sometimes.

Many thanks!

Back