is this chimney magnification finder for EC TL?

hap

Well-known
Local time
2:17 AM

【EXC+5】Zenza Bronica 5x Magnifier Magnifying Chimney Hood Lupe Finder for S S2

the seller seemed to be positive about the compatibility with the EC TL. However, I haven't been able to actually confirm by searching the net and now I am groveling and pleading with the Bronica mavens on RFF. Also, there is a prism finder would also be considered. My guess that EC TL finders are different than any S, S2 etc

First, that finders eyepiece is a mess.

Second, the S2A finders do not fit on the EC series. I just tried it.

the link to ebay part was just to figure out if it or several identical listings would be ok with the EC/EC TL

That you tried something similar did not work on the EC helps me out. Seems like chimney finders or prisms specifically for EC series are rare as hens teeth.

Unless I was doing something wrong the EC finder mounting area is larger than the base for a S2a.

IMG_6261.jpg

EC on top, S2A on bottom.

There are a few prism finders on ebay and there is the TTL finder for the EC as well. If your EC TL's light meter is still working that isn't worth the extra bulk though. If it isn't working it is a nice addition to the EC as it integrates its own shutter dial to work with the meter.

I haven't seen a chimney mag finder on ebay....or anywhere. I think they are all for the S series.

Almost positive the mechanical attachment is the same between the EC and EC TL. You can see EC TLs with the TTL prism finder on ebay for example.

Screen is slightly different due to the shutter speed numbering on the TL that isn't on the base EC.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a chimney mag finder on ebay....or anywhere. I think they are all for the S series.
Not positive but I'm fairly sure there are some.

I *think* the ones with the silver Z and silver and black focus ring on the eye piece are for the S2 series.
Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.30.46 PM.jpg

I *think* the ones with the black Z and black focus ring can be either S2 or EC series but not both. I think this one is S2 series due to the lack of additional spacers on the mount and it being silver mount.

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.31.38 PM.jpg

The EC series has a little rectangular spacer on two of the sides in the black mounting area, the S2 models are missing that.

This one is EC I think.

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.31.47 PM.jpg

That is my hypothesis at least.

Same basic deal for the prisms too.

Silver Z, silver smooth mount (S2 series)

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.40.20 PM.jpg

Black Z, black mount with additional spacers.... EC series...

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.40.45 PM.jpg

There is another represented as EC TL. (like the lower one in your post) Its in pretty good condition and low price. there is mold inside. Can these things be opened and cleaned?

Some prisms which look like EC series, although EC TLII. Does that make a difference that is an EC TLII

I removed the bottom glass on the EC TTL finder to clean some haze of it. Didn't try taking the other side apart. I don't think there is going to be a difference between EC and EC TL/TLII for the prisms or chimney finders.

Shawn

Appreciate your time and advice.
If my en route EC TL works decently I might try a chimney finder. the prism finders would be nice but probably just too much weight and bulk on an already big piece camera.

My S2a , which a lot of fun to use, is not on the chopping block.

No problem.

Good luck on the EC TL. I tried one and the meter was *way* off on it and then it locked up on me and got returned. Would love to have a working TL or TLII for the aperture priority though. Also be sure to test your film back with blank paper. I had a couple that acted as if they were shooting 220 no matter what position the switch was in.

The EC body is noticably larger than the S2A. On the flip side I feel it is a bit more of a shooters body. The advance is a lot smoother than the crunch at the end of the S2A, shutter speeds are much easier to read from up top and the film back has a place for the dark slide. It feels like it has less shutter shock too, possibly due to the split mirror moving in opposite directions.

Love my S2A too. Much prettier camera than the EC.

I'm on a small spree. Bought a "rough" Leica R 100 2.8 APO MACRO. I have an R8 so I like the camera.
DAG will clean it up hopefully. It's a gambit since something in the middle group lenses like dirt. Paid a very low price. These lenses go for several thousand on eBay.

That lens has tempted me many times. It even does awesome on a medium format mirrorless and covers the sensor completly. There was one one Camerawest a week or two ago at around $650 which just about pushed me over the edge. I was able to resist long enough for someone else to snag it. Good luck with it!

Back