Iskra or Certo Six?

remegius

Well-known
Local time
12:37 PM
I am currently using an Isolette that I have had for a couple of years, and it is a terrific camera. However, I really would like to get a folder with a coupled rangefinder, and both the Iskra and the Certo Six would fill the bill. I like the fact that the Certo has parallax correction built in. Of course, a Super Isolette would also fill the bill, but at a much greater cost. Any comments most appreciated.

Cheers...

Rem

I have a Certo Six, I don't have a Iskra or Super Isolette. The Certo is much more scarce than either of the others, so may be a little hard to find.

The Certo is quite simple to repair whereas the Iskra and the Super Isolette can have issues with the wind mechanism that will be hard/impossible to have repaired.

The Certo has a very good lens, I'd say up there with my Hasselblad but I'm led to understand that the other two are also superb.

Try a Certo Six if you can but the Iskras are pretty reasonable if you get a good one.

I've got and use both.

The Iskra has the better viewfinder, and the ergonomics (esp. focusing) of it are slightly better - or rather, more normal. The film transport system, if working properly, is also a plus point. Very good lens, though filters can be hard to come by with the 33.5 filter thread.

The Certo Six has a smaller viewfinder, and often the RF mirrors will need replacing. Having said that, it is not bad, and there is the parallax correction (it is actually the lens focusing system that does the parallax correction). The lens is excellent, possibly a little better than the Iskra and is a fraction faster. It has 40.5mm filter threads which means fllters are easy to source. It is probably the best made folder I have, better than the Zeiss Super Ikontas. One thing that does annoy me with this camera is the focus lever - not because it is difficult to use, but that it restricts you to either close focus or infinity focus when on a normal tripod head. The focus lever gets fouled on the head in between.

On balance, if you get a good example, either will do. If you like to use filters a lot, then the Certo may suit better. If you like to use a tripod, maybe the Iskra (unless you make a bracket).

I've got quite a few Iskra and Certo shots over on my flickr gallery.

The film transport system, if working properly, is also a plus point.

I'm a little concerned about this. My understanding is that the automatic film transport system has failed on Iskras, and necessitated the installation of a rear film window in order to accurately advance the film.

Mamiya Autosix mid fifties.....

Mamiya Autosix mid fifties.....

1. Excellent lens (Zuiko 75 held solid in place)
  2. Film plane coupled rangefinder focusing (film plane moves, not the front standard)
  3. Rock solid front standard (it doesn't move in the focusing process)
  4. Superb film flatness (due to the unique moving film plane and plate over the film holding it flat to the film opening)
  5. 6X6
  6. Film count and stop mechanism
  7. Double exposure prevention (w/easy override)
  8. Durable (heavy)
  9. Very good shutter to 1/500th
Having had a few of these, I wouldn't look twice at an Iskra, and wouldn't think that any others in this post will match up in all areas I noted. I have NOT owned a Certo6, but whenever I have seen good ones they have sold for more than the Mamiya Autosix with improved functions

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned about this. My understanding is that the automatic film transport system has failed on Iskras, and necessitated the installation of a rear film window in order to accurately advance the film.

The Iskra had a delicate toothed wheel which meters film advance and can break. It is my understanding that Iskra's were used by street photographers who beat the hell out of them; the film windows were to put them back in action when they finally died The trick is to buy a crisp example from a reliable dealer; I doubt you will put the kind of mileage on the camera to cause you trouble. Of course if you are unlucky he still have a very small investment. For me its worth the risk as it has a fabulous lens.

I own a Mamiya-six IV and an Iskra. The Mamiya lens is not as good as the Iskra. The Iskra lens is superb and film winding problems are exagerated. The Iskra sells for about $150 vs.aprox. $225 for the Mamiya or $325 for the Certo. Series V lens-hoods and retaining rings (33.5mm) fit Iskra lenses without adapters.The Iskra's lens gives results comparable in contrast, color rendering, bokeh and roundness to 1960's Leica lenses. Out of four 120 folders I now use, the Iskra lens is the only one providing excellent contrast and absence of flare, in all lighting, without a yellow filter and lens-hood.
I haven't had any trouble with the auto film stop (frame spacing) on my Iskra. It's a stronger design than many other 120 folders. If the film advance worries you, then I recommend: If buying in person, bring a test roll to check film advance. The advance spacing mechanism doesn't work unless there's film in it. If buying online, ask seller if the've run film through it-the ONLY way to verify advance and frame counting/spacing works. Don't buy camera if seller doesn't guarantee it works as advertised.

Last edited:
You can use Flexarit push-on filters on an Iskra. If you bend the tabs on the filters a bit they will fit securely inside of the lens ring. You can even close the camera with the filter in place if you set the focus to infinity.

The only downside to the Iskra is light leaks in the film chambers. There are several other threads which have describe the cause and fix for this problem.

The only downside to the Iskra is light leaks in the film chambers. There are several other threads which have describe the cause and fix for this problem.

I bit the bullet and purchased Steve's (dazedgonebye) Iskra. This way I get a known entity in good working condition. Plus, the camera stays in the family. BTW, this camera also had the dreaded vertical light leak, but Steve made the called for repair and the problem is gone. I came across the translation that someone (I forgot his name) made of the original Russian user's manual. Well done, and very useful.

Cheers...

Rem

The comment about the quality of the Iskra lens is interesting ... I have to totally agree ... it's an amazing lens. I've shot mine straight into quite strong light and there was no sign of flare.

Frame spacing on mine is a little inconsistent but not to the point of causing a problem ... yet! :p

Charles, actually there is no such camera as the Welta Super Weltax, though someone familiar with german folders would probably guess what camera you are referring to.

I was probably thinking of the Super Baldax. Anyway, the MF Weltur with the rangefinder is the one I meant. The Solida would be another good choice, in fact, I'd personally prefer it.

Last edited:
I once considered this and finally decided there were just too many potential issues w/ an Iskra's film transport mechanism. My suggestion would be to look for a Welta Weltur or a Zeiss Ikonta III w/ a Tessar lens if you can't find a Certo for a good price. Personally I prefer the Weltas because their focusing is better at close distances, and they may be a bit less costly than the Ikonta. They both have superb bellows that are probably going to be light tight on either camera.

Like you, I also have use the Isolettes, one w/ a Solinar and the other w/an Apotar. They are great picture takers that are at least as sharp as my 3.5 Rolleiflex, but not having a coupled rangefinder does slow you down.

Last edited:
Having owned the Certo I can say I was not happy because you can't close the camera with cocked shutter. Just the other way round like the Fuji GS645.
I also had the Super Ikonta B, which I found the best build quality, but again...only 11 shots!
The Welturs are great, but no automatic film transport...
My fav. folder is the Perkeo II. Great lens and the smallest folder I know.

wallace

I have a Certo Six, I don't have a Iskra or Super Isolette. The Certo is much more scarce than either of the others, so may be a little hard to find.

The Certo is quite simple to repair whereas the Iskra and the Super Isolette can have issues with the wind mechanism that will be hard/impossible to have repaired.

The Certo has a very good lens, I'd say up there with my Hasselblad but I'm led to understand that the other two are also superb.

Try a Certo Six if you can but the Iskras are pretty reasonable if you get a good one.

DO you know how to calibrate the range finder?

Back