Isolation walk with Polaroid

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
10:38 AM
In this time of plague lockdown, I mostly get out for exercise on bicycle or on foot. Yesterday, I carried the Polaroid SLR670a with color film in it and made three exposures in my hour and a half walk.

Sign – Santa Clara 2020

House, Tree, Fence, Shrub – Santa Clara 2020

Tree & Fence – Santa Clara 2020

All with: Polaroid SLR670a + Polaroid Originals 600 Color

Shooting with a Polaroid is so different from using almost any other kind of camera! :D

enjoy! G

I like the first one!

That reminds me, I bought one pack of B&W Impossible Project SX70 film a few years ago, put it in the fridge and forgot about it... One way to find out if it is ok.

I like the first one!

That reminds me, I bought one pack of B&W Impossible Project SX70 film a few years ago, put it in the fridge and forgot about it... One way to find out if it is ok.

Thx!

If you've kept the film refrigerated, a few years shouldn't hurt it. The latest revisions of these films perform better (or at least more consistently) than anything from five years back, but what the hey? Just get out and shoot it!

G

The feel of Polaroid is intoxicating. Nice images Godfrey.

It is, isn't it? There's something about it that just presses my happy button. Thanks John!

Not a bad idea, I may do the same. Not today though, it's cold outside and snowing.

It was a bit chill here yesterday but not raining or snowing. Go for it when the weather turns a little more favorable ... although there are some times when inclement weather also brings out some interesting photographs! With Polaroid, I'd have a thick envelope or something like that under my jacket/sweater where I could store developing prints in a reasonable temperature range.

G

Godfrey inspired me to pull out my old SX-70 and take a walk through my small town. I used three year old Polaroid Originals film stored in my refrigerator. I did Photoshop the prints and enhance the colors, which were vey pastel. There are a number of murals in my town, which are great things to photograph. A small sample.

masters028.jpg

masters029.jpg

masters030.jpg

masters031.jpg

Jim B.

Very nice, Jim! All look great!

I'm curious as to how you captured your photos to digital. The ones I posted at the top of this thread were captured with an iPhone 11 Pro hand-held, but it's too inconsistent for my druthers.

I've been playing with different capture techniques. I've pretty much given up on using a flatbed scanner. It reveals too many imperfections and lacks resolution compared to a copy camera approach. The copy camera works better but has two issues: figuring out a fixture to hold the print flat and proper lighting of the print given its very shiny surface. A good fixture that allows me to quickly and repeatedly position the prints, and hold it flat, shouldn't be too difficult for SX-70/600 type film, if I don't care about recording the print frame, using the a film pack as a base. I'll have to look at the Instax wide and square frames to see if a similar tactic will work for them. The lighting should be a simple matter but seems to always be tricky.

I'm working on these things again today... :)

G

I shoot a lot of 4x5 so bought an Epson V800 flatbed scanner a few years back. For the Polaroids, I just scan them with the Epson using Epson scan software. I may tweak colors and exposure with the Epson software, but do the majority of color, sharpness and exposure tweaks in Photoshop. I like to include the Polaroid border, to me, it adds a bit of personality to the image. I’m happy with the results, happy enough to order some new Polaroid Originals film. I’m curious as to how fresher, newer PO film will perform.

Jim B.

I shoot a lot of 4x5 so bought an Epson V800 flatbed scanner a few years back. For the Polaroids, I just scan them with the Epson using Epson scan software. I may tweak colors and exposure with the Epson software, but do the majority of color, sharpness and exposure tweaks in Photoshop. I like to include the Polaroid border, to me, it adds a bit of personality to the image. I’m happy with the results, happy enough to order some new Polaroid Originals film. I’m curious as to how fresher, newer PO film will perform.

Jim B.

Thanks!

I used to always scan with the full paper border of the print too, but lately I'm moving away from that as it seems difficult to get what I want out of the print that way.

Still playing with ideas... :)

G

For some time now I’ve been tempted to dip my toe into the instant print world, and the more I see the great work on RFF I become more eager.

Camera-wise, what would you guys recommend. The SX70 modified by Mint looks rather appealing especially knowing the device has been refurbished and has a more modern exposure system.

One of the ongoing arguments going on in my head concerns the running cost, let’s face it instant film isn’t exactly cheap. But the counter to this is that you end up with a physical print to hold and show to others.

.......One of the ongoing arguments going on in my head concerns the running cost, let’s face it instant film isn’t exactly cheap. But the counter to this is that you end up with a physical print to hold and show to others.

Polaroid Originals does have the occasional sale, so you can save money if you purchase film that way. If you’re open to buying one of the new “I-type” cameras, film is cheaper than 600-series or SX-70 film because the battery is in the camera, not the film pack. And instant film is just one of many formats I shoot. I don’t shoot it everyday, just when the mood strikes, or for a particular project. My SX-70 will often sit unused for a few months as I’m out shooting with something else. Right now, I’m in an SX-70 mood, so will shoot the last two packs of film that have been in the frig for a few years.

Jim B.

For some time now I’ve been tempted to dip my toe into the instant print world, and the more I see the great work on RFF I become more eager.

Camera-wise, what would you guys recommend. The SX70 modified by Mint looks rather appealing especially knowing the device has been refurbished and has a more modern exposure system.

One of the ongoing arguments going on in my head concerns the running cost, let’s face it instant film isn’t exactly cheap. But the counter to this is that you end up with a physical print to hold and show to others.

Polaroid Originals does have the occasional sale, so you can save money if you purchase film that way. If you’re open to buying one of the new “I-type” cameras, film is cheaper than 600-series or SX-70 film because the battery is in the camera, not the film pack. And instant film is just one of many formats I shoot. I don’t shoot it everyday, just when the mood strikes, or for a particular project. My SX-70 will often sit unused for a few months as I’m out shooting with something else. Right now, I’m in an SX-70 mood, so will shoot the last two packs of film that have been in the frig for a few years. - Jim B.

I work it much the way Jim suggests. Plus there's the fact that one can't really shoot instant film in volume anyway ... certainly not in the volumes of either digital or 35mm film. Shooting with instant film is more akin to shooting with a medium format film camera, a 6x7 or 6x9: you only have a few exposures per pack and, unless you're going to carry a big bag of film around, you shoot with some care not to waste exposures simply on the basis of the fact that you then have to reload and break your concentration on making photos for a time.

I have three of the MiNT "SLR670" series cameras (a, m, and x) as well as an original SX-70 that my uncle bought in 1973 and gave to me in 2012. All make great photos. I also have an early 1990s Polaroid OneStep BC series camera: it's a little more difficult to make some photos with it because of its fixed focus lens, but it can still make some great photos. In general, though, I much prefer any of the SX-70 models because of the focusing lens, and the SLR670m and SLR670s or x provide a lot more capabilities if you want to get into it with precise focusing and exposure control (including very long, manually timed exposures...) being two big plusses. The s and x models allow either ISO 160 or ISO 640 film types, and the x allows operation and sync of off-camera flash units as well. For all of the SX-70 based models, you can find and use SX-70 accessories (tripod adapters, remote cable, aftermarket filters and close up lenses, tele and wide converters, self timer, etc) which can add to what you can do. None of which is particularly "necessary", but all of which can motivate your photography in various ways.

Regards cost, well, it's expensive: Photography is expensive, always was. Expensive in dollars, expensive in time, expensive in energy ... if you're going to pursue something beyond happy snaps of the family and friends. You simply have to work out what it's worth to you, if it is worth doing to you, and then do what you can in that direction. I do a lot of instant film, but compared to what I do with digital capture it is trivial. I buy film in small batches, usually when I get to one pack of a given film type left, I buy three more, because it generally doesn't age well; this keeps my cost from outdated film that's no longer usable down.

Meditation - Japan Town, San Jose 2020
Polaroid SLR670a by MiNT + Polaroid Originals 600 Color

It's worthy of some thought. :)

I enjoy instant film, and I find I make photos that satisfy me with my instant film cameras. More or less than with my digital or other film cameras ... eh? It's a toss up and I don't find trying to judge that of much use.

G

Nice photos Godfrey and Jim.

Camera-wise, what would you guys recommend.
If I could afford the film I'd get the SX-70 refurbished.

This is why I bought some Instax cameras rather than more Polaroid film for my Polaroid OneStep. The cost of Polaroid film here in Australia is nearly AUD$5 per picture, whereas the Instax costs from AUD$1-$1.75 depending on the format. The Instax doesn't have the same look as Polaroid, but it has its own look which I like. I scan the prints on a V700 and apart from the nuisance of Newtons rings, get quite acceptable results.

If money was no object I'd stick with Polaroid though, for the better choice of lenses. Hope that helps.

I agree with the above comments; I appreciate the nice looking images by Jim and by Godfrey. I should use my Land 250 as I have film in the fridge.

Just for comparison, here's an Instax Mini (6x4.5cm image) (top), and Instax Wide 300 (6x9cm image). The lenses are plastic so I don't expect miracles. Some unsharp masking of the scans brings up more detail. Fuji supplies clip-on plastic single-element close up lenses for their cameras. Just don't expect SX-70 quality.

Both these pictures were taken during COVID-19 social restrictions in Sydney during April.

med_U27021I1580909060.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U27021I1587730462.SEQ.2.jpg

I agree with the above comments; I appreciate the nice looking images by Jim and by Godfrey. I should use my Land 250 as I have film in the fridge.
Raid, it's a waste not to use that lovely camera! Your film will not last forever in the fridge...

Back