Istanbul

Restrictions on film & cameras?

Restrictions on film & cameras?

I just read a post on another board which stated that there are official restrictions on bringing in more than 1 camera and 5 rolls of film to Turkey. There's a link: http://www.turkishembassy.org/index....140&Itemid=130 which seems to back this up (and I've seen this repeated elsewhere).

I've asked for personal experience on the other board, but I'm concerned enough for my trip in July to ask for the same here.

I'm travelling overland to Istanbul, via Vienna, Budapest & Bucharest, so I'll have a lot of film with me. I *could* at a pinch send back any excess rolls before I arrive in Istanbul but that would seriously curtail photographic activities when I get there. Less easy to deal with is that I planned to take a couple of 35mm RF's and 3-4 lenses.

Does anyone know whether the regulation is actually enforced, and if so what sort of trouble might I get into if I ignore it? Do I get searched at the border? Have my stuff confiscated?

I haven't even started on how to get a certificate that shows I own my mobile phone...

Cheers

Hallo fellow Reading dude!

I've travelled into Turkey from the Bulgaria border in '99 - as long as you look like a tourist they just want to put the little sticker in your passport and take your £10 (or was it $10 - I can't remember).

But this has got me worried and I'd be interested in hearing if people brought in more than five rolls in the recent past too.

Istanbul is a beautiful city!!!
I suggest you to visit, besides the traditional places, also the district "on the other side" of the Bosphorus channel: it's a different city, more real, less touristic.

Hey -vin-,

What is the 'other side' - I'm staying on the Eastern side of the channel.

stefan_dinu - thanks for your suggestions and nice gallery. I've jotted your wisdom in my notebook already.

semrich - I'll be arriving on the 31st May and leaving late on the 13th June. I'll be working during weekdays (perhaps late) but the weekends are free. Let me know if you want to meet up one evening or sometime during one of the weekend days.

dreilly - again, thanks for your suggestions - they're all in my notebook too. I'll be sure to look for the 'thriving decay'.

The "other side" is the Asian side of the city. More modern I guess. Less history but a different slice of this amazing city.

I'll be in Istanbul during your time in the city. The 10th and the 11th of June. I would be interested to meet up with you one afternoon if you like. Swap stories, shoot some film.

When I go to Istanbul I put on my "tourist hat" and go hard. Turks are great and particularly accommodating to tourists. They go out of their way to please you. I find if I dress like a local I get harder looks and fewer photo opportunities.

About the 5 rolls of film thing. This is the first I've heard of it. The Turks make a law about everything but in reality very little is ever enforced.

I plan to bring in a large amount of film with me when I come back to Turkey during the summer.

There is a Leica gallery in Istanbul that is worth visiting. It is very central to where all the action is too. The last time i was there I found TriX at the cheapest I've every seen it in Turkey. 5.50 lira or about $4.25.

That Lira thing had me excited for about.. one minute :) I have about 3 million in notes until I noticed it's called "new lira" now.

Sure thing about meeting up, I'll be finishing around 6pm during the weekdays so anytime after that. Pop me a PM with your email/mobile.

Just got back from Istanbul and brought 2 cameras and about 12 rolls of film. The only problem I had was the Airport Security insisting on scanning the film on the return flight. Nobody said a thing about bringing all the film and cameras in though.
It's a beautiful and busy city with lots of photographic opportunities.
Here's a link to some of my photos from the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yazdaniphotography/sets/72157606225646130/

Does anyone know whether the regulation is actually enforced, and if so what sort of trouble might I get into if I ignore it? Do I get searched at the border? Have my stuff confiscated?

take the Leica and the Rollie AND use them both. Take some slow film AND some fast film. Take a small Tamrac backpack. Be alert, avoid large crowds, pickpockets.

do a little research and make sure you hit the legendery places -- such as that big cathedral, whatnot, check out a few museums, use a tour guide and then return to the places you especially like.

bon voyage -- Paul

Back