It's official, vintage digital compacts are trending (Petapixel)

Canon S95- 10MPixel CCD based P&S camera. P&S was moving over to CMOS at about the same time, I have a Ricoh CX-1 that is 10MPixel CMOS. Recently picked up the BSI CMOS Ricoh CX-5 for $30. I use it mainly for documenting my lens projects, and for pictures of cameras.

My 10MPixel CCD based camera of choice is still the M8.

Canon S95- 10MPixel CCD based P&S camera. P&S was moving over to CMOS at about the same time, I have a Ricoh CX-1 that is 10MPixel CMOS. Recently picked up the BSI CMOS Ricoh CX-5 for $30. I use it mainly for documenting my lens projects, and for pictures of cameras.

My 10MPixel CCD based camera of choice is still the M8.
I would have thought your M9 would be the go to....

I would have thought your M9 would be the go to....
My 10Mpixel goto camera... I use the M8 for grab-and-go outings, calibrating lenses, etc.
My M8 has a zero-defect CCD. Dynamic range of the CCD is higher than the M9, the saturation count is almost 50% higher. With 1/8000th shutter speed, no problem shooting wide-open at ISO160..

Is there anything being sold today that has not experienced an increase in value over the past few years? (Or in popularity for that matter?) What I found interesting is the comments of those much younger than myself referring to these early digicams in such nostalgic terms. In reality, this is not unlike the way I look so many different things that I enjoyed in my youth and still enjoy now much later in my life — from cars with manual transmissions to film cameras, from manual typewriters to vinyl LP's, so on and so forth. While pining for the days of early digicams with their sensors of only a few megapixels seems kind of funny to me, it's all relative. Anything that manages to get people away from their smartphones is a good thing in my opinion.

I captured the first few years of my son's life on film using my rangefinder. After my wife and I decided to move to Oregon and my son had grown a bit older, we were continually on the go. I ended up buying a little Canon Digital ELPH, model SD400. The very small size made it incredibly convenient to haul along with us wherever we went and the digital images were equally convenient to email to family and friends located elsewhere around the country. Given my needs at that point in time, it actually served its purpose well. The thing that drove me crazy about the SD400 was the shutter lag — it was horrendous. Even when taking simple snapshots it was very irritating.

I can't recall exactly what happened to the little SD400, but I believe that it developed some sort of a problem. I went on to buy a Canon SD880is to replace it and later on I bought a Canon G10 — both of which I've used in recent years. Though they didn't fit the mold of the cameras discussed in the original article, they too served me well. Fortunately I hung on to my film gear and have been enjoying it once again for a number of years now. This is where my enjoyment in photography is primarily coming from these days. Be they film cameras or digital cameras (with a few megapixels or a lot), I still like the idea of using dedicated cameras to capture moments in time and I'm glad that others do as well.

Is there anything being sold today that has not experienced an increase in value over the past few years?
Yes! Although they don't quite fit into the "compact digital" category, some deals that I've seen over the past couple of years have included:

Canon EOS 5D II: $275
Sony A7R: 350
Olympus EM5 II: 275

And then there was the Casio Exilim EX-S500 that I got for free. If you just want to play with an older digicam and don't care about having the same makes and models as some influencer, there are still some deals to be had.

Is there anything being sold today that has not experienced an increase in value over the past few years? (Or in popularity for that matter?)

No longer being made and now being sold on the used market?

Camcorders and associated equipment.

For a large professional video project in the 1990’s I bought a top-of-the-line Electronic News Gathering camcorder and editing VCR, plus all sorts of audio equipment.

These days, the same equipment can be found and bought on eBay at 5% of the original price.

The good news is that my stuff still works - I was even able to buy a new sealed lead acid battery that it uses at a reasonable price.

Back