I've been thinking of late

"Different cameras affect what shots we look for, and see, and take. "

"The shots you look for or see or take are different when you carry an M2, or a Hasselblad and what you get is different even between a Hasselblad and Rollei. There’s a human being behind the viewfinder (or above it) and often in front of the lens, and they both have different responses to different cameras."
How true these observations are! I for one certainly do select subjects and see them differently with different cameras, Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad. It matters whether it's a D700 or an X100; and I believe it matters if it's film or digital. Richard G is right. I do respond and work differently with different cameras. And I select the camera according to how I feel like shooting and seeing.

The shots you look for or see or take are different when you carry an M2, or a Hasselblad and what you get is different even between a Hasselblad and Rollei. There’s a human being behind the viewfinder (or above it) and often in front of the lens, and they both have different responses to different cameras.

Yes, definitely. For decades I shot SLRs left eyed, with rangefinders I shoot right eyed or both eyes open on the right camera. That change alone influences how I see the image.

On top of that, the tools change the available image to be seen. A Rollei shows me a very different view of the world compared to one of my 6x24 Krakens. A Kraken sees differently than a HorizonT. A SLR is better suited to see in closer or more telephoto than a rangefinder. A rangefinder can show more of what is in front of the camera in a way that allows the photographer choose what to capture compared to a SLR. A TLR helps to further isolate the potentially captured image from what is around it.

All tools but they do have an influence on the photographer, and the photographer can certainly have a preference for what tools they want to use in a situation. Edit: And some tools are better suited for some situations. A fast FPS is useful in capturing fast action but maybe be completely unnecessary in other types of photography. Ditto with a lightmeter, P/A/S/M, digital/film, flash...etc...etc...etc.

And some tools are just nicer to use....

Last edited:
The closest I have to just a “light tight box” is my Ondu 6x6 Mark II pinhole camera. No lens at all. I think it’s very beautifully made. The approach to using it is completely different than all my other cameras.

Back