Japanese Patent 188481 on 85/2 NRF Nikkor

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:10 AM
I just found a black 85/2 Type II Nikon Rangefinder Nikkor with the engraving of J. Pat. 188,481 on the mounting ring. I've never seen that before.

Can anyone check the Japanese Patent site and let me know what the patent was for ?

Thanks,
Stephen

I attempted to search for it but it appears the number is incomplete. There should be another number or letter code before the six digits.

Only JP1188481S gives some valid output, a patent from Heisei15 (平成15年), which appears to be filed in 2003 and contains something with a LED (no English translation)

Last edited:
I tried searching too but as per the previous posters the number seems to be incomplete. I found several patents that that use the number but nothing related a Nikkor 8.5cm F2 lens from the 1950s. I used to own a Nikkor 8.5cm f2 with what was most likely the same patent number but didn't think anything of it at the time.

Edit: a scan through the archives dug up this photo! Yup, same patent number!

15773724262_15c2b1d0c6_b.jpg

15586754858_f52a3a87ed_b.jpg

Possibly at the time the patent was filed there was no need for a prefix. Somebody in Japan might be able to go to a library and look up old patents, or perhaps a collector in Japan has already done so. I imagine it's possible to find out what the patent covers somewhere online.

I just found a black 85/2 Type II Nikon Rangefinder Nikkor with the engraving of J. Pat. 188,481 on the mounting ring. I've never seen that before.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen the same patent number on both 10.5cm F2.5 and 13.5cm F3.5 Nikkors in the same place as pictured above. I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen it before, Stephen.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen the same patent number on both 10.5cm F2.5 and 13.5cm F3.5 Nikkors in the same place as pictured above. I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen it before, Stephen.

Jon and Stephen ,
I have a 13.5 cm late black with the same patent number engraved in the same location . The shade for the 13.5 has Japan pat pending on it .

Back