Jobo/rotary processing of Kodak 5222/XX

stevierose

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Local time
6:10 PM
Does anyone have experience doing rotational development of Kodak 5222/XX using Xtol and/or D96 that you can share with me? Do you pre-wet the film? Do you decrease the development time by 15% or some other number? I realize that I will need to work this out and fine tune it for myself, but it would be useful to have a good starting point. Many thanks!

I’ve not run XX but have run thousands of rolls and sheets in rotary tube machines.

Prewet is a good idea and cut your time back 15% and run a test before running your film. Always do a test if you’re not familiar with the processor and film / developer combo.

Some might tell you to dilute your developer but rotary processing increases oxidation and you want to make certain there’s enough active developer to complete your development.

I had a couple of professional rotary machines, large commercial floor models. One was a twin tube Metz S2A and then a large Colenta floor model that would run 20x24 inch film down to 10 36 exposure rolls at one time. I also had a smaller version and a Jobe. All had slightly different agitation rates with the 2 Colenta machines being similar. My Jobe agitated the heck out of my film, way more than the others and I didn’t really care for it and sold it.

Just do some testing to determine your times.

Last edited:
I have never been able to get good results from 5222 in my rotary processor, an ATL-1000. It doesn't seem to be developer dependent -- the results are like I used a lens with excessive flare, even though I know that's not the case. It almost looks like there is no anti-halation layer and somehow the rotary processing exaggerates the effect. The automatic Jobos like the ATL-1000 do a 5 minute pre-wet by default -- there is no way to turn it off.

Back