New York July NYC Meet-Up

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
2:39 PM
Snarky Joe posted on the long thread about having a NYC Meet-Up in Peekskill at the Peekskill Brewery.

The good is that the Peekskill Brewery is almost at the Peekskill train Station and is less than a block away.

The bad is that trains back and forth on the weekend are about an hour apart on the weekends.

There really is no ugly, but basically it is a day-trip using Metro North.

Did you know that you can take a bike on Metro North. Hmmm. Could be interesting to do a Tour de Peekskill. Hmmm… I’m open to anything.

In fact I posted in a thread if anyone would like to go to City Island and do a charter boat for Blackfish in the Long Island Sound. I have some new gear, and I want to get my lines wet.

BTW Blackfish are really good eating fish, but it takes some skill to catch them. At first you will feel a nibble, but you have to wait untill the fish actually has the bait in its mouth. There is a definite pause between the nibble and the bite. Understand that Blackfish have front teeth about as big as ours, and they have molars that are almost human size to crush clams, muscles and crabs. Also their mouths are tough and leathery.

When you feel the bite, pretty much you have to lift the rod as violently as you can for two reasons: first the leather like mouth needs a lot of force to set the hook; then you have to take away the opportunity for the Blackfish to dive into structure to snag your line. Understand that Blackfish are sturdy fish and they have thick broad shoulders like a football player. They pull like a MoFo.

The difference in length between a 2-3 pound Blackfish and say a 5-7 pounder is only 2-3 inches, but the girth grows exponentially.

Because Blackfish mostly eat crustations they can kinda taste like lobster and they have very firm meat like a lobster, especially the bigger fish. Know that with their front teeth they can peel barnacles off pilings.

Cal

I kinda almost give up shoe fishing the Hudson close to where I live. The only location that has good water that is not shoals or shallows in a section of retaining wall in Croton Park. Parking fees… and about 6 miles away.

It seems the entire west side of the Hudson has almost no access due to a freight train line. Understandably they don’t want people crossing the tracks, and I don’t want to get arrested for trespassing. There is an Island on the west side, but is a bird sanctuary and no fishing is allowed.

Peekskill Bay is 4-5 feet deep at low tide… Other sections where there is access on the east side of the Hudson are shallows and are not the deep sections where fish would congregate. There actually is very limited access to the river for fishing. Perhaps further north it is different.

Anyways a fishing kayak gives me access to the promising waters. Mostly doing the kayak for exercise, but I might as well troll along at a sustainable 2 1/2-3 mph to try my luck and to gauge where fish might gather. I suspect that location where the lugers would wait would be the edges of the shipping channel. No different that surf fishing on the ocean beaches.

Time to get ultra-fit and get a hard body. Lots of long slow distance will keep an old man young.

I also wonder how I might photograph from the kayak. Fishing kayaks are wide for stability. The Hobie Outlander I’m interested in buying is stable enough for me to stand to cast. My SL and SL2 are weatherproof. I have taken them out in storm and blizzards with no ill effect. I just can’t dunk them.

No tripod shots though, but I can get closer. Hmmm…

Cal

I wonder if anyone would like to have a Meet-Up in Peekskill to hike to Anthony’s Nose?

From Route 9Dand Route 202 it is about a 2.6 mile hike to a rock clearing that is suppose to have one of the greatest views of the Hudson Valley overlooking the Bear Mountain Bridge. The hike is said to be of mid level in difficulty. A portion of the hike includes part of the Appalachian Trail.

I can fit 4 passengers in my Audi.

Cal

This offer of a scenic hike would be a total of 5.2 miles because it would be an in and out. I guess the trick would be to catch really great light. It is all about contrast and light which requires luck of the time and weather.

Anyways I’m keep[ing this offer open, and this hike and shoot could be done anytime.

Did you know that on a clear day you can see the NYC skyline from Bear Mountain?

Bear Mountain is a bit of a tourist trap, but being a local I’m learning how to avoid the crowds and parking fees.

Today’s hike will be another section of the rails to trails which was a now defunct Putnam Railroad line. Yorktown Heights City Hall is the trailhead.

For those who are not informed by reading the other NYC long thread. “Maggie” and I are embracing a fitness lifestyle which involves exercise every day. I bought her a bike yesterday to replace her beach cruiser that is a more serious bike. In the future I intend on purchasing a Hobie Oasis, a two person peddle kayak. We are accumulating camping gear…

Problems with anxiety and stress are behind us. Progress has been made, and we only started in July. Previously we were providing childcare for a grandson for 9 months.

Cal

Cal,
The hike could be fun, but I don't think I can make a meetup (even a conventional one) until September. We just got back in town, and we will be in Europe for August. We will be in Norway for a bit, so you don't need to feel bad if I'm missing out on the great New York landscape.
Last weekend I ran into Barret at a Brooklyn art opening. He sends greetings, and I encouraged him to join a future meetup.

Devil Christian,

The hike should be a bit of adventure for sure. This is an open invite, so waiting until the fall is alright.

Seems like one of those places that you could photograph many times until you get the right time and lighting.

I could go on with all the day trips I could plan for small groups that could be contained in the Audi.

Also bike trips… We intend on getting a Hobie Oasis, a tandem pedal kayak so Hudson River exploration is in the future.

Cal

Hey Cal,

It's been a while, but it's good to see these forums remaining active. I'm on here very infrequently these days, but an unconventional meetup like a scenic hike sounds like fun. My wife and I are stuck indoors far too much and really need to get out for some exercise. We might be too out of shape for any real hard trails though, haha.

On the bicycle front, with the intention of getting in some exercise, I got an old steel framed Schwinn for the wife and cleaned it up a bit. For myself, however, I am struggling with a bent rear dropout. Could of happened in the move or just from sitting over the years, but I never noticed the issue until I was replacing the tires. Anyways, with all the bike gear discussions on here, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how best to realign this dropout. It is currently bent inwards towards the rim, so that the inside face is not parallel to the other one... Not sure I want to blindly force it. Is this something I should leave for someone with the right alignment tools to correct?

Dunstan

If the dropout is steel the blind force is the answer. Does that bike have a derailer? Is the bent drop out on that side?
Joe

Dunstan,

My friend A.J. Has a bike shop right on the northern border of Croton on Route 9A. I would go to him if you feel in over your head. Down Cycles is his shop. He is an ex MBA Downhill Racer from back in the day.

Cal

I have another interesting hike that is not so difficult. Basically an old granite mine that nature has reclaimed. Sounds like an interesting place to shoot. I’ll post more info in this thread. I have a map and everything to spill the smut.

Cal

“Maggie’s” new/old bike is expected to be delivered by UPS Monday. I found an seldom used original 1990 IBIS SS Avion that is made in the USA and is in a 14 inch extra small size. A lucky find.

Cal

Sylvan Glen is a nature preserve of 343 acres situated between Crompond Road (Route 202) and Route 6, owned by the Town of Yorktown. There were quarries there that date back to 1895. Sheer cliffs and jumble piles of granite that has been abandoned for over 65 years. The narrow it is now filled with trees with mucho remnants of the mining there.

It is said that the granite graces the George Washington Bridge and the Whitestone Bridge, as well as Saint John the Divine’s construction.

Adjoining this park is Granit Knolls Park which is 75 acres.

Pretty sure a place to photograph and explore.

The quarries appear to be close to one parking area.

Cal

Back