Jupiter 3 not detected on M11-P

davidbivins

Established
Local time
10:01 PM
Hello,
My M11-P doesn't detect a Jupiter 3 lens I have. No live view, menu says "no lens." I've tried turning off lens detection and using Manual M to choose a 50mm 1.4 lens. It will take photos, but the metering is way off as if it can't see through the lens.
I've used other screwmount lenses with it without a problem. I'm using a Voigtlander LTM-M adapter and have used the adapter with other lenses successfully, including a screwmount 50mm Summicron and Canon 50mm 1.4.
Any ideas of what's different about this lens that would make the camera not see it?
Thanks!
David

The barrel of the Jupiter is so small it leaves the 6-bit sensor on the camera mount exposed to light, making the camera body think there is no lens attached on it. Try mounting the lens on, then use your finger to cover where the 6-bit sensor it, and you will see what I mean.

Leica has made it in their recent firmware update to have the 6-bit sensor become a lens detector, to serve the new feature of the body closing the shutter during lens change whilst kept turn on. What they didn’t take into account were smaller LTM lenses. I had the same problem using the Nikkor 50/2 in Ltm. My solution to this problem is a piece of black tape around where the 6-bit sensor is.

Voigtlander made two types of adapters,

The Type II would cover the sensor.

You can also get inexpensive "6-Bit" adapters that you can enter the code yourself. They cover the sensor.

I bought one of these- using in now on one of my converted CZJ 5cm F1.5 Sonnars, adapted using a J-3 mount. Covers the sensor on my M9 completely. The focus is accurate, and the lens came up to the proper position. It is on the camera now, and used it last weekend.

Last edited:
You can also get inexpensive "6-Bit" adapters that you can enter the code yourself. They cover the sensor.

I bought one of these- using in now on one of my converted CZJ 5cm F1.5 Sonnars, adapted using a J-3 mount. Covers the sensor on my M9 completely. The focus is accurate, and the lens came up to the proper position. It is on the camera now, and used it last weekend.
I got a few of these as well. They work fine. Aside from the anxiety about the 6-bit coding lining up and such, I was worried they wouldn't be proper thickness and impact RF focus accuracy. But, not really. Can't complain. If the focus is off due to adapter thickness varying outside 1mm, it's not enough to call to my attention.

Now, one thing I have learned: The paints used to fill those wells need to be good and either true white or true flat black. Also, I found that multiple application of the paint, filling the wells substantially, is necessary. The M9 was pretty lenient about white whites and black blacks. The 240 was much more picky. But once that was addressed, they have worked well....

Back