Jupiter LTM Jupiter 3 or Jupiter 8?

Jupiter M39 lenses
In fact more than alright. Next time I'll use Tmax400 but I had a 24 exposure HP5 to use up.

That Jupiter 8 is more than capable.

trainlady-1-of-1.jpg

However, a Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 arrived and I've just put a 24 roll of HP5 through it testing all the shutter speeds and absolutely no issues. It's a bit lower rent than the 3, the shutter speed is fiddly to set and the shutter goes off like a pistol crack, but every image has been fine. I didn't get much of a chance to shoot wide open as it has been sunny plus a 400iso film. But it's sharp enough.

Back lane in Plymouth's Barbican. HP5+ in Ilfosol 3

It looks as though you've found your FSU kit, at last, Charles. It's looking good!

As it happens, I was in Plymouth yesterday, but I have to admit that I didn't notice anyone sporting a Zorki/J8 combo, surrounded by a small group of curious photographers, all wanting to know what that 'strange camera' is! :D

Alas I had returned to South Bucks by then, but given I'd been in with it to see Russell at Soperfect on the Barbican, most long term residents there probably thought it was far too normal!

It's a great camera to shove in the bag, not worrying too much about its value or looks, and just getting on with photography. Very functional indeed!

Alas I had returned to South Bucks by then, but given I'd been in with it to see Russell at Soperfect on the Barbican, most long term residents there probably thought it was far too normal!

It's a great camera to shove in the bag, not worrying too much about its value or looks, and just getting on with photography. Very functional indeed!

Hah! I've resisted the temptation (so far, at least) to visit Soperfect... I fear that such a visit would be detrimental to my bank balance. Also, arriving home with yet more camera gear (a.k.a. "clutter"), would probably not be a popular move with the Missus! :eek:

As for "just getting on with photgraphy"... I entirely agree. I got very tired of the obsession with technical perfection of recent years, and have returned to simple film photography - for the most part - for enjoyment.

I've bought a few things there but of late have been decidedly miserly. Some intriguing clutter there though!

I have reached the point where if I like the look, however flawed, I'll shoot that. It tends to be a much cheaper pursuit too.

Finally, got a very good looking Zorki 3M arrive this morning, shutter curtain perfect, all speeds seem to work, the Jupiter 8 it came with is free of most rubbish and the whole thing looks to be good. Except the Russian seller forgot to put the film spool in. He's immensely apologetic and will send one forthwith, hey ho!

The 3M incorporates the slower speeds on the main shutter dial, so no more than normal troublesome low speed linkage at the bottom of the camera. It's a handsome camera.

I guess a warning is needed for this thread as it ends with a Zorki 3 being superior to a Leica III; cue several rants...

Regards, David

To celebrate the triumph of Soviet Camera over bourgeois fascist Leica, I'm listening to Leonid Kharitonov singing The Cliff with the Red Army choir. Ponderous revolutionay song that that psychopaths in the Kremlin used to blub their black hearts out to, but what singing, what a voice.

Finally, got a very good looking Zorki 3M arrive this morning, shutter curtain perfect, all speeds seem to work, the Jupiter 8 it came with is free of most rubbish and the whole thing looks to be good. Except the Russian seller forgot to put the film spool in. He's immensely apologetic and will send one forthwith, hey ho!

The 3M incorporates the slower speeds on the main shutter dial, so no more than normal troublesome low speed linkage at the bottom of the camera. It's a handsome camera.

I put my first film through it this week and the results are superb. All speeds down to 1/10th work correctly (I'll never use that or below in real life) and the lens is really lovely - just needs a good CLA to make it a little less stiff. It's nicer in feel and to use than the Zorki4, and to round it off, I think I've found a good Jupiter 3.

zorki3m-1-of-1.jpg

voskelly-1-of-1.jpg

I put my first film through it this week and the results are superb. All speeds down to 1/10th work correctly (I'll never use that or below in real life) and the lens is really lovely - just needs a good CLA to make it a little less stiff. It's nicer in feel and to use than the Zorki4, and to round it off, I think I've found a good Jupiter 3.

zorki3m-1-of-1.jpg

voskelly-1-of-1.jpg

Hi,

Do take care, you've reached a point where you know what they can do and so will be vulnerable...

It can attack in two ways, you'll either start looking for good ones in other versions like (say) the elusive Zorki-2 or a rare FED from the 30's with a 1,000th and f/2 lens or else you'll start rants about the evil sellers and so on.

Anyway, I'm glad you've found a soul mate and can see and demonstrate the attraction of them. I find that the good ones can make up for all the disappointments; it's just a pity we can't spread the word about the wicked sellers on ebay.

Regards, David

Apart from a J3 I think I'm done with this territory. The adaptations of the original Leica copies are altogether more interesting to me, and I don't need or want more than one.

I'm going to get the rangefinder on this cleaned as I found the patch less bright than I think it should be, and that ultimately is the reason for only one - my eyesight is not the best and I'd rather use my M3 most of the time.

Apart from a J3 I think I'm done with this territory. The adaptations of the original Leica copies are altogether more interesting to me, and I don't need or want more than one.

I'm going to get the rangefinder on this cleaned as I found the patch less bright than I think it should be, and that ultimately is the reason for only one - my eyesight is not the best and I'd rather use my M3 most of the time.

Oh dear. That's a path I went down; thinking a good copy of a Leica II with a few minor mod's and a Zeiss Conax lens would be interesting led me to the Zorki(-1) an a Jupiter-8 and then an Industar 22 and so on.

The minor mod's being the RF tints, the cable release socket and the take-up spool.

As for eyesight problems, I just wish I knew the answer: it's cost me a fortune over the last 20 years.

Regards, David

I once bought a J3 Pi and it focussed stiff. So I used Brian's recipe for greasing; bought grease from a Russian guy.
Well, when I turned the thing back on, the barrel was out of sync. That happens to me of course only.
The interesting part.
So after about twnty tries I almost gave up and tried the second cam (near the back). I can be turned 180 degrees. That is the interesting part. Put it all back, all rings were now very far off (about 120 degrees either way. And I found a second pit for the screws, about 5 mm off.
\Used that, and the lens was SPOT ON at 1m and full. The best I ever had (like the Leica 50). Great sharpness.
Unfortunately, the bug caught me. I did not like the camms all off so I sold it it. Have regrets ever since.

Back