Jupiter-9 F/2,0-85mm versus Leica Summarit F/2,5-75mm

In the new setup, both lenses on the M7:

21078294920_e98e8ae32c_z.jpg

Summarit F/2,5

21266358005_3a21f6b209_z.jpg

Jupiter-9 F/2,0

I have the Jupiter-9 in Contax mount. I use the Amadeo M-adapter with my M 240. Although the J-9 is good performer, sometimes it seems to have a lot of flare. I find that I always need to use a hood with this lens, otherwise the flare is a problem. I took this shot this morning, Jupiter-9 with Leica M 240. I think it was at F2. I love the out-of-focus areas, they are very smooth and liquid.

mvgbyu.jpg

Isn't the J-9 notorious for focus difficulty when adapted to Leica? I've been put off from getting one because of that, but never checked it out for myself. Even shimming is supposed to be futile. Of course, I could always use it on a "good" FSU body exclusively.

Isn't the J-9 notorious for focus difficulty when adapted to Leica? I've been put off from getting one because of that, but never checked it out for myself. Even shimming is supposed to be futile. Of course, I could always use it on a "good" FSU body exclusively.

I had the middle of the 3 built in shims taken out when my lab guy did full CLA...with my Contax RF > Fuji X adapter and attached to my X-E2 as adjusted the INF for the lens.

I'd guess something similar should be done, because RF focusing can be wrong with a lens not adjusted properly..... With an live EVF.. no issues, you focus till it's sharp.

That last J9 image is rather soft at f/2.(post 21)..I think too soft.... may need to have the focus checked for a manual RF focus to see if it needs shimmed +/- a little...

Can you post a J9 f/2 image with a Leica Digital that has live view focusing? I'd bet it does better for f/2 if you focus TTL view an EVF.

Well in fact you should compare them both at F/2,8. The Summarit has the widest aperture at F/2,5 not F/2,0.

Not sure about the exact focus with LTM-M adapter on the M7. I have two excellent Z-6 bodies or put it on a digital Olympus EP.

Leica M 240, Jupiter-9 85mm F2 in Contax mount (with Amadeo adapter). I find this lens can flare easily so I always use it with a hood. When the conditions are right the J-9 renders beautifully.

21172241869_6c684cb27d_c.jpg

For me, I find the J nine does much better on a digital camera where you can focus via Live View and possibly focus peaking or magnification if your camera supports it. I don't think it does its best rendering as far as sharpness goes on a rangefinder camera especially at the wider f stops

Send from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

The picture with Grauskala #13 and the Siemens Star has been made with the Zorki-6 and J-9 and on APX-100 (new) film. Focus is pretty OK overthere. Putting on a Leica M7 (and 0,58 RF base) is already on the edge what is possible and tricky because the Leica standard is just a little bit different then Zeiss/Zorki/FED/Kiev/Contax. But I can put the lens also on my Olympus Digital EP with life view and 10x magnification possibility.

However I will use in practice this lens on my Zorki's-6 bodies and the FED-3. For my Leica M7 (0,58) I have already a Summarit 75mm, Summicron 50mm, Elmarit 28mm, Elmarit 21mm and a C.V. SWH 15mm-M with a C.V. zoom V.F. 15mm-35mm.

I am going through this old thread trying to decide if I should by J9 for my Kiev. I have just found one locally in mint condition (from 1962), but the price is a bit steep (150€)...

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a beautiful 85mm f2 Jupiter 9 that someone disassembled to modify the mount for dslr/mirrorless use. The mount is Contax/Kiev. I have all of the missing pieces but haven’t been able reconstruct how it comes together. Is there a diagram out there on the web or does someone on the forum have experience with this mount? The large washer,brass rangefinder coupling as well as the retaining spring is in hand and appear undamaged. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Back