Just a query about functionality..............or a suggestion about site functionality.

peterm1

Mentor
Local time
9:28 AM
One problem I find with using this forum is that some threads have grown very, very, very, long indeed. Which in general is a good thing. Not complaining about that. But it creates a dilemma. Often when going into such a thread I will think "I have an image that I can post to this........................but what posts have I made on this thread previously - perhaps a year, or two past? Have I already posted it? Or have I posted something else on this thread, and if so what?" With long threads - some 20 or 30 pages or more the only way I have found to find out is to open each page in succession till I know the answer. I cannot really afford the time to do this generally and so either end up posting something that is duplicative or perhaps just forego posting altogether. Neither of which is a desirable outcome for RFF as much as for me.

I have noticed with Facebook for example that there is functionality (on my own FB "homepage") which allows me to search all of my previous comments / posts etc in FB (although even here, it does not allow me to search within the context of a specific thread). But then again FB is not the kind of site where threads tend to persist for potentially years so it is less of an issue.

But it does bring the mind a question in relation to RFF - When a specific thread is opened is there presently a way to produce a list of my prior posts in that thread? I have not seen that this exists. If not, could it be included as a feature in some future upgrade so the person logged in could find at least their own prior posts in a given thread? I suppose there is also an argument that it could be desirable to be able to do the same for other persons posts as well if someone is curious about their posting history on a thread................

PS I note that there is a function to find threads I have started - just not what I have described above - i.e. my posts within someone else's threads.

You can use the search function to find your posts in any thread.
Possible I guess but I am thinking of something much simpler to use rather than having to fill out all the search form. Something like a simple button labelled: "Find my previous posts in this thread"
The search form requires insertion of keywords, dates, forums - no reference to specific threads in the search parameters.

I just search “this thread” by member in which I enter my username. Takes seconds. The results are in order so you can skip to a year. But yeah it would be convenient to have a button. The Miranda forum has something like it but only for a particular board and I do use it.

Rayt, I just tried that and it works like a charm. Thanks, but I'll miss reviewing all those past posts.......

I just search “this thread” by member in which I enter my username. Takes seconds. The results are in order so you can skip to a year. But yeah it would be convenient to have a button. The Miranda forum has something like it but only for a particular board and I do use it.
OK thanks. I will try it.

Oh I see what was confusing me. In the header bar for the thread there is a "Search Forums" option (more towards the left near the top of the page). I was using that instead of the general "Search" option on the far right at the top of the page.

The "Search Forums" opens the same page as "advanced search" on the top right of the window.

If you do a specific search often, you can bookmark it. Perform the search and then add bookmark.

For example this might be useful: this search will show all my posts in any forum, with results listed as threads:

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 8.18.16 PM.png

Thanks for then tip @Rayt.

There's also this quick hint of thread participation: if you see your mini-avatar superimposed over the thread initiator's avatar (and mouse-over your mini-avatar), you will see the number of messages you posted...

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 6.32.28 AM.png

1689503995742.png

Back