Just based on image quality- M8 vs. M9 vs M240 vs M10 vs M10R vs M11

Thank you for providing the link, Roger. I enjoyed going over the write-up and the posted images. I agree 100% with your final conclusions. I have an M8.2 and an M9, and they make a wonderful combo. I do not need shutter speed to be 1/8000.

I don't have experience with the M8, M8.2 and I am sure the IQ is quite good. But I don't understand why you would not need/want 1/8000 shutter speed... I have had to purchase and use ND filters just because the shutter speed of the M240 does not go high enough... I like shooting my Lux wide open and it's not possible to do it in bright light without ND filters.

The M8's are finished in black chrome, and the M240's use black paint. I'm in the minority that prefer the black chrome finish over the painted versions. The matte finish just looks nicer than the paint finish to me. It also feels a little cooler in the hand, versus the softer feel of paint.

I also prefer the grey ME over the steel grey M9. :)

Funny... I always wanted a black paint M9 so it would brass overtime... unlike my M8 that doesnt really brass the way the paint does.

M240 hands down. The others wont even come close at high ISO. They don't even offer ISO 6400 and certainly wont give even marginal results at much lower ISO numbers.
I shoot dancers in dimly lit clubs at 1/90 f1.4 ISO 6400 and get very usable images (granted, B&W), but that is just out of the question with the other cameras. Maybe a carefully constructed test at native ISO with equivalent lenses might allow for an argument, in real life there is no contest IMHO.

This is a JPG right out of the camera.

drLvHu4.jpg

Nice Manuel. I would be very happy with this kind of result in my club shooting.

Nice Manuel. I would be very happy with this kind of result in my club shooting.

Thank you, I was very pleased with the result. They did turn more lights on for the show, but it was still fairly dim. I set the auto ISO to 6400 and shutter speed to 1/90.

Here is another shot but in a much darker corner where people were watching the show.

T1ARNNk.jpg

M240 hands down. The others wont even come close at high ISO. They don't even offer ISO 6400 and certainly wont give even marginal results at much lower ISO numbers.
I shoot dancers in dimly lit clubs at 1/90 f1.4 ISO 6400 and get very usable images (granted, B&W), but that is just out of the question with the other cameras. Maybe a carefully constructed test at native ISO with equivalent lenses might allow for an argument, in real life there is no contest IMHO.

This is a JPG right out of the camera.
For this kind of work you want a Monochrom ;)

For this kind of work you want a Monochrom ;)

LOL! Of course I would like to add a Monochrome to my collection ;). However, in my case wife considerations (financial considerations) are a factor...

I do believe finally after all these years of purchases and sales and gyrations with gear, that I'm not limited by the camera or glass anymore. I mostly need to improve myself ;)

MM files have remarkable malleability in the shadows. They open up beautifully. Manuel's dance files look really nice, making me think the M240 comes close

Ok someone else is going to say ,,,, you can do much more better with the New monochrome. of course improvising is some thing too, we have to learn to be a creative person . If you are running after gear they don't help you to change your photography. It is your head and the mind set that every thing . You have to forget about the camera and camera should be kept behind your mind to be a creative photographer.

Leica M8.2 Follow up

Leica M8.2 Follow up

C'mon guys...substantially? in every way?

I own 2 M8.2s and would have owned 2 M9s instead (cost is not an issue), but after trying the M9 and making prints for 14x18 (framed) size, there was no justification for moving to the M9. I don't print super big, don't shoot super wide, nor at high ISO (400 ASA worked fine for me for a few decades).

Given my workflow, I find that there are far more differences in print quality by what happens down the chain after the files come from the camera (once starting with either the M8 or M9)...everything from software to papers to custom profiles to printer to inks...and all the myriad judgments and settings along the way.

I recently hung an exhibit of color and b/w prints for a gallery at a major TV network studio, where there is a 3 year wait list for shows. The building manager and many staff told me it was the nicest show they had seen in years. All prints were made using the M8.2 (except one scan from an M6 neg).

I suppose my show would have been 'substantially' better in 'every way' if I had only had the common sense to use an M9.

Oh, and not that it makes any difference in the print quality, but I'll take the following features of my camera any day compared to the M9: the 2m frame lines are the best I've used on any M...ever (and this has real effect on my picture taking); I much prefer having a top display; and I get chrome and sapphire screen without having to pay anything extra. In addition, for the same FOV, I prefer using my 50 Summilux asph and the 50 frame lines any day compared to using my 75 Summicron asph... never liked those 75 lines on any M.

Plus, with a second generation camera (M8.2), I didn't have to put up with all the teething problems of the M8, unlike what some M9 users have had to endure along the way, e.g., red edge, purple fringe, card issues, sensor crack issues, buffer issues with huge files, etc. I expect all this to be sorted out, and none was a real influence on my purchase decision, but you did say the M9 was substantially better in every way. Please spare me.

Jeff

Jeff, Your vivid comments about the Leica M8.2 vs M9 are still fun to read. Do you still feel the same way in 2017?

This is making me miss my M8.2 that I sold to get my M9. I wonder if I need one of each, like Raid? I like the M9 because I don't have to use filters, and I can enter my lenses manually and not have to send them out for coding. And most of the time I like full frame better than cropped.

But--There is Nothing wrong with the M8.2 IQ! I really liked the shots I got with it. And 10MP was enough for me.

Back