Just bought a Jupiter 8 and I'm not sure what to do next.

baerinatux

Local time
6:14 AM
Hello all, new to rangefinders and this forum. Hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question.

As the title says, I just purchased a Jupiter 8 50 f2 and I think a piece is missing and I'm not sure what to do next/how to proceed. The lens does not have any sort of focus mechanism. It was listed as CONTAX mount, but that doesn't seem to be accurate. This should have been obvious from the pictures the seller had, but me being naive and new to the hobby, I didn't do my due diligence. I read the description that the lens was in fully working condition and just assumed it to be true.

Do I try to return it? Is there a way I can fix this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1096.PNG
    IMG_1096.PNG
    702.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1097.PNG
    IMG_1097.PNG
    449.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1098.PNG
    IMG_1098.PNG
    671.3 KB · Views: 11
This lens is in Contax mount, the rangefinder camera introduced in the 1930s and later produced in the Soviet Union as the "Kiev".
That camera has the helical built into the body.

I suspect you have the much later "Contax" autofocus camera. Post a picture of it to verify.

It depends on the seller. Most sellers hate such returns, but some seller may let you return the lens to keep their ratings in good shape.

This lens is in Contax mount, the rangefinder camera introduced in the 1930s and later produced in the Soviet Union as the "Kiev".
That camera has the helical built into the body.

I suspect you have the much later "Contax" autofocus camera. Post a picture of it to verify.
I was planning on putting it on a Leica body, so that's not going to work it seems. Thanks for the quick reply!

Honestly, if you're planning on mounting it to a Leica... you might be better keeping the Jupiter 8 you have now and investing in a good Contax-to-LTM (or M) adapter.

The adapters are expensive, but the focus is much more likely to be accurate straight out of the gate. Unless the "LTM" Jupiter 8 you acquire has passed through the hands of our very own @Sonnar Brian, it's probably going to backfocus on any Leica unless you're willing to get the screwdrivers out and shim it yourself.

(Also, another benefit of getting said Contax-to-Leica adapter: it allows you to grab hold of other fantastic-but-surprisingly-cheap lenses like the Helios-103 and all the various Zeiss lenses made for the Contax, which are severely undervalued due to being in an "orphaned" mount. I wish I'd realised this far sooner than I did.)

Honestly, if you're planning on mounting it to a Leica... you might be better keeping the Jupiter 8 you have now and investing in a good Contax-to-LTM (or M) adapter.

The adapters are expensive, but the focus is much more likely to be accurate straight out of the gate. Unless the "LTM" Jupiter 8 you acquire has passed through the hands of our very own @Sonnar Brian, it's probably going to backfocus on any Leica unless you're willing to get the screwdrivers out and shim it yourself.

(Also, another benefit of getting said Contax-to-Leica adapter: it allows you to grab hold of other fantastic-but-surprisingly-cheap lenses like the Helios-103 and all the various Zeiss lenses made for the Contax, which are severely undervalued due to being in an "orphaned" mount. I wish I'd realised this far sooner than I did.)
Would you be able to link me to one? Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing this time.

This one- the original model was adjustable for external mount lenses, and took internal mount as well. The new one- cheapened up, can only be used for internal mount lenses.
BUT- the J-8M should fit, and works with older Leica Thread Mount cameras. I keep a Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar on the newer one.

Hello all, new to rangefinders and this forum. Hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question.

As the title says, I just purchased a Jupiter 8 50 f2 and I think a piece is missing and I'm not sure what to do next/how to proceed. The lens does not have any sort of focus mechanism. It was listed as CONTAX mount, but that doesn't seem to be accurate. This should have been obvious from the pictures the seller had, but me being naive and new to the hobby, I didn't do my due diligence. I read the description that the lens was in fully working condition and just assumed it to be true.

Do I try to return it? Is there a way I can fix this? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
It is a Contax/KIEV mount, and it works very well in that camera (focus is on the body)
If you want to use it in any other camera you need an adapter

There were two versions of the Jupiter-8M, the second version being introduced about 1970. Yours is the later version, like mine. The 1st version: mine from the 1960s were truly bad, even for the $2 paid at a camera show. Probably a quality control problem with the middle triplet. The formula changed to one more traditional, using all curved surfaces. The optics are larger diameter compared with the Jupiter-8. The Jupiter-8M also has click stops. Worth getting the less expensive adapter, since you have the lens. Not worth spending $300 for an adapter.

Mine- bought off Ebay in 2017 for $50. The craftsman did an incredible job adapting the barrel of the J-8M into a Canon 50mm F1.8 focus mount. Machining required, now a single-helical design meaning the lens rotates while focusing- which did not occur in the original Canon lens. This means the barrel is wider than the Canon, and the Craftsman adapted it. I could not buy the parts for $50.j8m_wideopen.jpgL1022944.jpgL1022958.jpgL1022966.jpg37885050664_7761aa273e_b.jpg37885051084_96822c33d1_b.jpg

Let me offer a comment. If you're missing a part, you ought'a return the lens. My two cents worth.........

I just spent $70 on this one, will evaluate when it comes in.
Wait, the rangefinder on the Leica will not work with this. This adapter doesn't have focus cam, a 50 is difficult to guess focus.

Back