Just bought a M9M in 2019

Hey Cal,

Mine is getting a bit salty to. Lots silver coming through but like you they replaced the covering when they replaced the sensor.

I think when I retire, if ever, ha ha I will probably sell my M 10s and M 262 and pick up an M 10M but that is a while down the road. I will probably still keep the MM and original M-E.

Hey Cal,

Mine is getting a bit salty to. Lots silver coming through but like you they replaced the covering when they replaced the sensor.

I think when I retire, if ever, ha ha I will probably sell my M 10s and M 262 and pick up an M 10M but that is a while down the road. I will still keep the MM and original M-E.

Allen,

I'm holding out and hoping that Leica builds a SL2M. I own the APO 35 Cron. Who else makes APO wides?

I know not an M, big, heavy...

The basic and most primitive digital camera I will keep. I love the CCD sensor. This is the digital camera that most resembles a basic film camera.

I'm still in love...

Cal

Hope you'll like it.....I used mine for about 1,5 years then sold it, liked the pictures etc, but less the thick body compared to the M2 and M6 I had at the time....long gone now since I'm almost only shooting medium and large format.

<edit - did read at first its a monochrome - anyhow my experience is about the dimensions of the body >

Have fun and enjoy the experience!

Allen,

I'm holding out and hoping that Leica builds a SL2M. I own the APO 35 Cron. Who else makes APO wides?

The basic and most primitive digital camera I will keep. I love the CCD sensor. This is the digital camera that most resembles a basic film camera.

I'm still in love...

Cal

I was a bit surprised they didn't create a monochrome variant of the original SL, given the extraordinary resolution of the latest L lenses. Perfect foil for the glass.

I was a bit surprised they didn't create a monochrome variant of the original SL, given the extraordinary resolution of the latest L lenses. Perfect foil for the glass.

James,

The APO glass is crazy-good. Now with IBIS and 47 MP in a SL2 a Monochrom version makes so much sense. To me the above really exploit everything as a package. Brutal I say.

I figure 47 MP, IBIS, and APO would kill without a Bayer Filter Array.

I'm just waiting...

Cal

Allen,

I'm still in love...

Cal

Cal the beatiful thing about the M 10 is it very basic. Now if the make an MD M10M an M 10M without a LCD screen I will have to find a way to get one sooner than I want to. But the M 10 is slimmer, with the ISO dial on the top of the camera, better high ISO performance, queiter and a lot more responsive than the original MM and pretty much as basic as the origianl MM. So the M 10M is something I will look hard at and if it is screenless that will be a real temptation to do sooner than later.

Cal the beatiful thing about the M 10 is it very basic. Now if the make an MD M10M an M 10M without a LCD screen I will have to find a way to get one sooner than I want to. But the M 10 is slimmer, with the ISO dial on the top of the camera, better high ISO performance, queiter and a lot more responsive than the original MM and pretty much as basic as the origianl MM. So the M 10M is something I will look hard at and if it is screenless that will be a real temptation to do sooner than later.

Honestly, the silence of the shutter becomes less an issue here than the dynamic range and rendition of mid-tones. The true resolving power of the MM1 sensor is something closer to 30MP and it does nicely. I'd sooner have a camera that gives clean ISO 25,000 files than 41MP.

i don't understand, the shutter mechanism different from M9-P , smoother than M9-P ?
i thought they are the same mechanism except the sensor ????

My Monochrom might have been assembled more carefully. I think they make incremental improvements over a long production run. It’s the same with cars.

Honestly, the silence of the shutter becomes less an issue here than the dynamic range and rendition of mid-tones. The true resolving power of the MM1 sensor is something closer to 30MP and it does nicely. I'd sooner have a camera that gives clean ISO 25,000 files than 41MP.

James,

Well the MM is definitely not the best for High ISO. LOL.

Pretty much I rarely used 1600, and only if I had to. Of course the reason is noise. This is particularly bad if you want to print big which is what I do.

Kinda funny how it annoys people. LOL.

I'm an old film guy. I'm alright at 400-800 ISO. But you are right clean files is everything.

No doubt the M10 makes wonderful files mucho clean.

Cal

James for me the MPs of the origianl MM is plenty but if I could have an MM the size of the M 10 and the way the M 10s handles and the queiter shutter would be a big plus for me. And as you mentioned higher ISO which I'm sure will be better with the M 10M. That is a real big deal for me to.

Looking for an original MM with a replaced sensor

Looking for an original MM with a replaced sensor

Congratulations!

I am currently looking for a MM. Any recommendations on where to look would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I sold my MM right after sensor replacement and went back to film and my M6. I've really enjoyed that.

But when the MM was added to the M9 ala carte refurbished program, I jumped at it. Still waiting for the camera and very much looking forward to it.

John

Just went back to the MM (CCD) this past week after 4+ years with the M246, which has been solid... most would agree that the M9M produces a unique image that can be highly desirable, despite the warts of camera operation.

Having shot it for just a few days, I have re-adusted and am happy once again!

That's interesting to hear, Ashwin. I know you've been very committed to the Monochroms.

For me it's mainly the difference I perceive in rendering, but also the $2K difference in used prices. And I know folks say they adjust to the 240 body thickness, but I'm not sure I would.

John

I bought an M9M last week and couldn’t be happier. As much as I like my M10-P, I love the files I’m getting from the M9M.

I am so incredibely happy with this camera.

Holidaying in India for a wedding, took only two cameras, the Monochrom with Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 and Mamiya 645 Super with 80mm 1.9.

Attachments

• L9999322.JPG
    L9999322.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • L9999412.JPG
    L9999412.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • L9999496.JPG
    L9999496.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations. Good decision. Mine is a gem. Although I have an only two years older M9-P, the M9M is smoother and quieter in the shutter, coming close to my M2 for sheer sweetness of balance and touch. The images continue to amaze me.

My Monochrom might have been assembled more carefully. I think they make incremental improvements over a long production run. It’s the same with cars.

Same thing I noticed with a recently acquired Silver Chrome Monochrom. Compared to my M9-P the shutter sounds softer and quieter.

As you said, there were probably improvements being made throughout production of the M9 series cameras and the Monochrom getting updates makes sense since it came at the end.

Back