Just got a '49 ZK 5cm F1.5.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
12:20 PM
Arrived in the mail today, and it is beautiful. This is the "link" between the J-3 and the Zeiss LTM Sonnars. Looking at it, I can see that it is the German made parts assembled in Russia. The machining is identical to my two wartime Sonnars.

Glass is perfect. The focus is smooth, and does not warrant taking it apart.

I'll get some comparison shots up of the lens next to the Wartime Sonnars, and shoot side-by-side comparison roll using the Zeiss lenses and '53 KMZ J-3. That latter lens is every bit as good as the Sonnars.

This one came all the way from Australia, from an RFF member. This is the first ZK that I've seen personally.

I've been seeing a number of Wartime Sonnars lately, custom conversions, early J-3's, and some post-war Sonnars made from various parts. I had a 1950 J-3 that just could not focus an image, even after shaving a lot of brass off the mount to move the rear module in. The optics barrel is similar material to this one, just seems too long! An interesting evolution from Wartime Sonnar to J-3.

I just finished collimating the lens, and re-assembling it.

No question that this lens is made from German parts. Some minor construction differences: NO set screw holding the rear optics fixture in place, no hidden set screw holding the name ring in place. Material is the same as the Wartime LTM Sonnars.

It looks like this lens started out as Zeiss SN 2726739.

picture.php

The plastic case that it came in, compared with a J-3 case on the Left.

picture.php

Lens compared with a Wartime Zeiss LTM Sonnar.
picture.php

Serial Number, note that it looks like a J-3 SN.

picture.php

The first ZK's had "1948" and then a SN.

Rear module has hand engraved numbers like a J-3. German LTM Sonnars do not have these extra markings, just the machine stamped lens SN.

picture.php

Big "M" and two Set Screws as in a Wartime LTM Sonnar.

picture.php

The larger of the tewo screws is the Stop for close-focus and infinity. The J-3 does not use this second set screw.

Not sure if the rear cap is original, but it probably is. Shows who made the lens, KMZ.

picture.php

Went taking some "almost" Fall shots this past Sunday.

This lens is First Rate.

Focus at 1M, F1.5. Kodacolor 200 on the Canon P.

picture.php

Tight Crop
picture.php

F1.5
picture.php

Stopped down to F4.
picture.php

I shimmed the lens after receiving it, added about 0.15mm to nail the close focus.

"almost" Infinity at F1.5.

picture.php

Back