Just got a Barnack Leica!

Great set with the 35/2 canon , Yum !

I have to agree with You
I adore the Elmar , all of them , 50 3.5
Both versions 50 2.8
Tessar design seems to have the perfect sharpness, great tonal range with rich inky blacks

What other lenses for RF are Tessar design Chris ?

Great set with the 35/2 canon , Yum !

I have to agree with You
I adore the Elmar , all of them , 50 3.5
Both versions 50 2.8
Tessar design seems to have the perfect sharpness, great tonal range with rich inky blacks

What other lenses for RF are Tessar design Chris ?

Zeiss actually made Tessars for Contax cameras. I think there were some made in LTM too. Canon and Nikon made 50mm f3.5 and 50mm f2.8 lenses that were Tessar designs, and there were Soviet made 50mm f3.5 and 50mm f2.8 lenses that were Tessars too.

Leica Elmars were different in one respect from other Tessar lenses. Normally, the aperture was between the second and third lens elements on a Tessar lens. Leitz made the Elmars with the aperture behind the first element. I don't know what difference that made in image quality.

2-4-20-hudson.jpg

Another with the 35mm f1.8 Canon lens.

"Leica Elmars were different in one respect from other Tessar lenses. Normally, the aperture was between the second and third lens elements on a Tessar lens. Leitz made the Elmars with the aperture behind the first element. I don't know what difference that made in image quality."

I'm waiting to hear the responses to this comment! (Might get a little tribal.) Actually, the Elmar 50 (I have a 2.8) is excellent -- can't say I've ever done a direct comparison of it with "true" Tessar designs though.

What's the story with that schoolhouse? Looks like it's shuttered up, out there all by itself. Let's hope it gets a worthy tenant.

What's the story with that schoolhouse? Looks like it's shuttered up, out there all by itself. Let's hope it gets a worthy tenant.

I photographed it the first time back in 1997, and it was boarded up back then just as it is now. Its condition has deteriorated since then. Around 2001, the elderly woman who lived across the street (her house was behind me when I photographed it) told me that she owned it. Her mother had been a student there! This woman was in her 80s back then and is likely dead by now. I don't know who owns it now.

3-30-20-mack-1.jpg

I finally got around to doing a portrait with the 90mm Elmar that Farlymac gave me a while back. This is my 23 year old son, Mack. The lens rendered beautifully, very sharp with nice tonality!

3-30-20-mack-1.jpg

I finally got around to doing a portrait with the 90mm Elmar that Farlymac gave me a while back. This is my 23 year old son, Mack. The lens rendered beautifully, very sharp with nice tonality!

I knew you'd like it, Chris. The other one I have is scratched. dirty, and has a touch of fungus but still produces some decent images.

Island Of Sunlight by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

I knew you'd like it, Chris. The other one I have is scratched. dirty, and has a touch of fungus but still produces some decent images.

Island Of Sunlight by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

The one you gave me is optically perfect, no scratches or fugus or haze or anything. It was really nice of you to give me the better one. :)

The image from yours isn't bad, still looks really sharp. Looks lower in contrast than mine, though. Not a bad thing for shots in harsh light like the pic you posted, though!

Recently, I shot some photos of a building with the 90mm Elmar you gave me and the chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 that I have. The Canon lens I have is optically perfect, too, but I noticed that the images from it were a little lower in contrast than the images from the Leica 90mm Elmar. Both lenses are from the 1950s.

The one you gave me is optically perfect, no scratches or fugus or haze or anything. It was really nice of you to give me the better one. :)

The image from yours isn't bad, still looks really sharp. Looks lower in contrast than mine, though. Not a bad thing for shots in harsh light like the pic you posted, though!

Recently, I shot some photos of a building with the 90mm Elmar you gave me and the chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 that I have. The Canon lens I have is optically perfect, too, but I noticed that the images from it were a little lower in contrast than the images from the Leica 90mm Elmar. Both lenses are from the 1950s.

Yeah, I didn't try to clean it first, wanted to see if it was worth messing with. I've replaced it with the newer version so I could get the 39mm filter mount across all the lenses.

I think the difference in contrast you notice between the Canon and Leica lenses, Chris, can be attributed to their coatings.

PF

I agree Chris, superb picture of your son. I only just saw your question about the collapsible lens. The lens I had was easy to collapse once it had been unlocked from the tight position once. If your lens continues to be hard to release each time you lock it in the extended position, maybe there is some damage to to flange of the bayonet lock. You may be able to use some emery paper or small file to smooth the problem area. Pic of damage on one of mine. If this is too much to do yourself and its an ongoing problem I guess you'll have to send it for repair...
John Mc
U51008I1586750521.SEQ.0.jpg

I agree Chris, superb picture of your son. I only just saw your question about the collapsible lens. The lens I had was easy to collapse once it had been unlocked from the tight position once. If your lens continues to be hard to release each time you lock it in the extended position, maybe there is some damage to to flange of the bayonet lock. You may be able to use some emery paper or small file to smooth the problem area. Pic of damage on one of mine. If this is too much to do yourself and its an ongoing problem I guess you'll have to send it for repair...
John Mc
U51008I1586750521.SEQ.0.jpg

I couldn't see any obvious damage. I think I'm going to send it to DAG later on, after the Coronavirus stuff has passed and my income picks back up. For now the lens takes beautiful photos, I just have to leave it extended.

Back