Just posted my simplified Zone System technique

Thanks John,

I hope people who do try this system out post their images and comment about how this might differ from what they normally get from their negatives, especially the 4 stop Extreme Sunny Day recipe. I'll post a couple images one Cloudy Day, "Starry Stream" and one Sunny Day Extreme, "Ceremony".

Attachments

• Starry  Stream.jpg
    Starry Stream.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Ceremony.jpg
    Ceremony.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
I tried your method and I did fairly well for the first go. I used f/5.6 at 1/1000 only for the whole roll. Everything is as you said. I'll have to try another roll, as I feel that selection of subject is very important.

Attachments

• img005xx.jpg
    img005xx.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 0
  • img003-XX4x6-1.jpg
    img003-XX4x6-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the zone system simplification. Great stuff.

Also, I live in a high-altitude town (Boulder, CO) and I was wondering about the sunny-16 exposure rule... sometimes I get overexposed negs even when shooting f/16 and 1/125 second with ISO 100 film. Would it be possible that sunny-16 here is actually sunny-22?

Filmfan. In order to get an ideal negative using the Sunny 16 rule, you have to use a slower ISo than the manufacturer's recommended ISO. They seem to rate their films for open shade, so they lose a lot of detail at both ends in bright sun. Try one of my recipes and you will see that it works. Charjohn. It's not so much that different subjects respond differently as it is the way light and shade separates tones in the composition. I had a student once who made an image of a buffalo against the light and then complained that the Zone System didn't work when there was no separation in the hairs. Cross lighting is still the best way to show texture whether you are using the Zone System or not.

Charlie, thank you for your generosity in sharing your expertise.

One of the books that I consider easy to read to learn Zone System is "Film & Digital Techniques for Zone System Photography" by Glenn Rand.

But I shall give your recipes a try and report the results.

Great work, Charlie! The concentration on seeing light, for both the exposure/development and composition is excellent for training (and retraining) the basics. It's a complete, clear 'start' on how and what to consider. Very nice.

Many writhe in the starched collar of the Zone System and other formulaic methods, but as teaching methods for students, they do communicate the full nature of light, the set of tools and their use. I like how you emphasize 'seeing' to the formulas.

From where you leave off, you burn film, build experience and create your own best methods.

- C

Last edited:
Charlie,

does your most excellent film development also work with other developers like xtol ? I use Plus-X and have a fresh brew of XTOL.

thanks

raytoei

Raytoel,

I would think so as long as you compensate -20% for each stop you open up on the iS0. I've done it successfully with Rodinal, Sprint, Ilford developer and D76 1 tp 1 and HC110 dilution B.

Charlie

Back