Minnesota Kansas?

Phil_F_NM

Camera hacker
Local time
7:47 AM
Is there a Midwest club somewhere near Kansas? St. Louis maybe? Ok. City? Omaha? I guess Denver has folks.

I'm seriously contemplating a move to the mid-west for work and the severe cyclonic weather. It would be cool to have a few folks in the RFF community within a day's drive. Right now I'm spoiled by NYC, having a bunch of them on speed dial in my cell phone and always having something, somewhere to shoot.

Phil Forrest

Wow, this is ominous, no replies since 2013, yikes.

I too am moving to KS (Kansas City) and have been wondering what is there to shoot..

Hope to get a reply :)

Downtown KC would be a great place to shoot, including the KC Farmer's Market, the Plaza, etc. Not a lot of big photo clubs down this way, but I'm waaaaaaay out in middle of south-central Kansas just outside of Wichita, so maybe there is SOMETHING like that around KC. Out this far in the prairie, you can't even hardly find a decent selection of film. The last time I went into one of the only actual camera/photo supply stores, I couldn't even get a roll of Tri-X. Even 10 years ago, the only film stocked at the local grocery store in my small town was some expired Fuji color negative film. Welcome to the middle of nowhere.

As I say on my blog, Kansas is "... a vast wasteland of grass and sunshine that is both beautiful (in the summer) and appalling (in the winter)". I think that is an apt description.

Personally, I've always like photographing local events in nearby small towns, like the state or county fairs, air shows, car shows, etc. It's definitely a different atmosphere than New York City, but there is certainly stuff to take pictures of!!!

Downtown KC would be a great place to shoot, including the KC Farmer's Market, the Plaza, etc. ... photographing local events in nearby small towns, like the state or county fairs, air shows, car shows, etc....

Thank you for the ideas. I forgot about the Farmer's Market. Photographing events in small towns sounds like fun, haven't done that in years. Someone told me not to worry because even though KC is in the middle of nowhere, there are lots of interesting cities in the neighboring states. I'd better start saving for gas :D

Back