Keep the older M3, or CLA the shiny new one and keep that?

I've been thinking about this all day, spent an hour looking through one viewfinder vs. the other, one does have a slightly contrastier rangefinder patch, nothing big, I think I've gone slightly crosseyed for the day from looking through one eye through 2 viewfinders so long!

One of the rangefinder patches (the newer minty-er M3) looks like it has ever so slight vertical mis-alignment, is this a DIY job or something you need to send off for?

I have yet to run a roll of film through it, but I'll do that tomorrow, all the internals have zero sign of any brassing, so I suspect that this thing has literally sat in its eveready case for a few decades at least, very few rolls of film through it.

After reading a few suggestions, I'm really thinking seriously about just keeping both bodies and doing what one person suggested, keep both, shoot colour with one, B&W with the other, as this would be a nice versatile setup, and give me the freedom should I come across a gorgeous colour opportunity or gorgeous black and white, which I have before, while having the wrong type of film loaded!

Will run a roll of B&W through tomorrow and see how I like the shutter timing and everything else, big thanks for all the suggestions on who to CLA through should it turn out to need it!

- Bill

One of the rangefinder patches (the newer minty-er M3) looks like it has ever so slight vertical mis-alignment, is this a DIY job or something you need to send off for?
Not that I've tried it, but it looks simple. Remove the small chrome cover screw on the front above the lens mount and you'll find the vertical alignment adjustment screw.

Unless money is tight, I'd say keep both.

Yeah, I think I'm probably going to keep both now that I think about it, I like having things that are awesome, and dislike having to sell things that are awesome, so that kinda clears it up really...

Last edited:
Keep them both, Leica bodies will get you through times with no money better than times with money and no Leicas. -- to paraphrase a college theme.

Besides, they call it an M3 for a reason, you should have three ideally.

I would not install the meter, or you may soon have two "user" grade cameras, as the Meter often marks the tops, I suppose you could lay down some tape, but it may be more aggro than worth it for a meter that may not serve you that well.

Then you can start on the two M2's, etc.

Having a second body is really not a bad thing, get it checked when you get the opportunity, or if it is not absolutely smooth during the film advance, shutter cocking, it is probably dry and needs a trip to Boston to see Yeoxin.

Yeoxin has worked on many cameras for Igor, Campus Camera, and mine, though mine were sent in via one of the above.

Enjoy the fruits of your luck.

Regards, John

Keep both. I have two M3s, one pretty and one not so, and both had CLAs in last couple years (one by Sherry and one by Leica NJ). In my experience there's nothing like having a Leica in top working condition. If you have one, hang onto it.

Youxin rebuilt a completely mucked up Leotax D-IV for me, replaced curtains, beamsplitter, rebuilt the viewfinder, came back like new. I talked him into it, after the job that he did with the two $15 Leica's found in the antique shop.

I would keep both, unless economics dictate that you must sell one.

However: from the sound of the new M3, I would shoot a roll of film with it first. Unless the shutter is hanging up and the viewfinder is hazed over, give it a try.

That's great! Go shoot a roll with your new M3 and see how it goes.

Yeah, I think I'm probably going to keep both now that I think about it, I like having things that are awesome, and dislike having to sell things that are awesome, so that kinda clears it up really...

I know how hard it is to get rid of beautiful useful mechanical objects.
My suggestion for the first roll: shoot chromes. That way it will be much easier to spot any exposure / shutter problems.

I'd be inclined to agree with the "three M3's" and the "two M2's" but that's going to really hurt my wallet when it gets to "six M6's", or god help me if I go digital....

Also, what would be the the number of MP's? :p

I'd be inclined to agree with the "three M3's" and the "two M2's" but that's going to really hurt my wallet when it gets to "six M6's", or god help me if I go digital....

Also, what would be the the number of MP's? :p

That's why I am applying for a government bail out. ;-) I only have one of my Avatar.

CLA & keep the older camera. You'll be happier in the long run.

William

Keep one loaded with B&W and the other with Color film. That way you can keep both like I do. The only problem is that it doesn't have 35mm frame lines. I use a Voigtlander light meter on top rather than a camera maring Leica meter. I also use a half case from China as I have seen what a Leica case does mar up the back door on my older M3. My newer looking or more 9+ M3 is just as great as the 8+ looking one. I watched a friend shoot with it and I could not hear the shutter going off which was outstanding.
Joe

Last edited:
This is not Youxin's full time job. It's his hobby.

Sherry (Golden Touch) is self-employed and a factory trained tech.

Perhaps the question would be better addressed to Youxin?

An engaged couple looked over my work for their upcoming wedding. I explained I shot MF, carried duplicate professional equipment, had years of experience, and they liked my samples.

As they left, I got the sense they were not going to book and as they left I asked them.

They said they felt more comfortable booking a studio, and I asked them which one.

I told them to say hello to Pat, the owner, and that I might be seeing them at their wedding as I worked for him as an independent contractor.

I had not asked enough for my services, I had not printed up price lists for a year, and truly, I kept the entry price low, planned on doing a great job, and making as much on the final order as the package to begin with, normally more.

Pat paid me $125 for the day. (Obviously a while back, but others paid less).

I know of several people who do many repairs for stores and other camera dealers, who could not really remain in business if they had to pay the price Leica charges for repairs.

I am not sure how long it takes an average CLA on a Leica, but it is not an all day job, so doing work for dealers and the occasional RFF'er can be worth while, even at a less than astronomical price.

The experienced repairman also get a reputation by word of mouth, accumulate skills, parts, contacts, client lists, etc. and it works out, or not.

I was friends with Al Banones for years, some here may have had SM Leicas rebuilt by Al, he got a lot faster over the years, and I think his standard charge was under $100, but he only worked on LTM. I think Al worked on Leicas in his spare time and after retirement, for 40 years.

I am sure Youxin would be happy if you felt better including an extra $100 over his estimate.

I know I raised my prices.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Back