Kickstarter Digital Back for 35mm Film Cameras

If only it were as simple and intuitive to use as a...you name it.

The Nikon Df could be like that, but they were too afraid to dive into the niche.

It is.

Just set the Sony A7 to manual, assign the correct buttons to ISO and focus peaking, set it to show the exposure meter in the screen and set it to shoot RAW. And forget about the rest, that's just marketing gimmick anyway.

And Hey Presto! A perfectly usable manual camera!

Hi everyone! My project resumes machines that people did not want to dismiss for a variety of reasons, personal memories, or because it was their father's, so I thought I'd suggest a solution for them to take those relics out of the drawer again. I consider I'm Back a gadget and not to a high-tech product (although it has great technology, 16mpxl, micro SD, WIFI, HDMI). I'm Back is something to be used for fun. The quality should not be compared to that of a digital camera or an analogic camera.
I can compare it to those who like to take different pictures, like "Pinhole" or "Lomo".
For technical details you can visit my Kickstarter page where I illustrate how it works.

Kickstarter: http://kck.st/2g7PV2N

Some pictures taken with a Nikon F + 50mm and I'm Back - (current version with 8mpxl sensor) what will be produced will be 16 mpxl.
www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-03-07-2016_10.17.29.jpg www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-03-07-2016_11.04.53.jpg www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-16-04-2017_12-24-03.jpg www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-28-11-2016_19-40-37.jpg www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-28-11-2016_20-14-01.jpg www.imback.eu/kickstarter/photo-28-11-2016_21-01-20.jpg

webpage: www.imback.eu

this has been tried before, failed market. I don't like the idea of a smaller sensor than the originally designed film gate. No point.

They're back... ...again! :)
iu

imback-years.jpg

Last edited:
This is more like how we all imagined it should happen ... not the previous incarnations which seemed really cumbersome. Will it fly ... who knows?

m4/3 sensor with a micro sd card for the images makes me think plausible. Ranger is correct that the battery is the kicker but I'd be willing to live with, say, a 36 shot battery life...

< whistles innocently >

Yep, just use film... and you could probably have better results scanning it with your cell phone.
Exactly. If someone wants to have the experience of using a family member's old film camera or just wants to experience what it is like to use a film camera, then the best experience is just to buy film, shoot it, get it developed and printed or scanned.

Otherwise, any Fuji X, Nikon Df, Zf, etc., will give great digital photos with the experience of using analog controls.

Exactly. If someone wants to have the experience of using a family member's old film camera or just wants to experience what it is like to use a film camera, then the best experience is just to buy film, shoot it, get it developed and printed or scanned.

Otherwise, any Fuji X, Nikon Df, Zf, etc., will give great digital photos with the experience of using analog controls.
I can see your point but if it was all that simple we wouldn't mess about with pinholes, caffenol developing etc etc. This thing may just be an avenue that some people will want to explore right or wrong. Depending on the price of course!

Cute post-apocalypse themed promotional video with glimpse of the external "motor drive" containing the power source and electronics. Kinda clunky, but I think it looks credible.

I can see your point but if it was all that simple we wouldn't mess about with pinholes, caffenol developing etc etc. This thing may just be an avenue that some people will want to explore right or wrong. Depending on the price of course!

For me, that will be the real key.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, although fitting a controller board plus a usefully-sized LiPo battery into the faux film cartridge seems like a major challenge.
They didn't, it has an attachment for under the camera that houses more electronics. Presumably it also connects to a flash port on the camera to know when the shutter is triggered. Or it has a button to start exposure before you hit the shutter button.

I want one. The Pack- smaller than an F36 with Remopak on my Nikon F.
The unit looks like it syncs up using the Flash terminal, from one picture shown.

Oh, that would work so long as it fires at other than flash sync speeds.
It will probably do something like take a 1/2 or 1 second exposure when the flash triggers it. Actual exposure would still be controlled by the aperture and shutter on the camera and whatever ISO the digital side is set to. As long as the flash trigger fires before the camera shutter starts (and the digital has low latency) that should work.

If it's not full-frame, I am not interested. Although I love the concept and the ingenuity of this, I prefer to shoot film with film cameras.

Back