Kickstarter Photo Vaporware

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:05 AM
So, what wonderful Kickstarter Photo Vaporware did you believe in?

Still a someday your photo product will arrive believer,
or shipwrecked on the Kickstarter Titanic?

Is anyone getting their $ back?

I've supported a lot of different KS projects, most of which have successfully produced a decent product. The couple that haven't, I categorize as the same as "Failed Business Startup Ventures" ... Business startups often fail and, when they do, no one gets all their money back, most get nothing back. That's part of the reason why investing in startups is a risky business.

So ... I wouldn't call out what projects failed and lost me money—there's no point to that. It just propagates bad feelings and provides a lot of whining and complaining. Rather, I go into any KS project without expectations, having evaluated the proposed product and the team, and with the hope of a good result. I only put in what I'm willing to lose, and I enjoy seeing new products come to life most of the time.

G

Film Ferrania?

Last time I checked they're still working on it so maybe one day a few rolls of slide film will show up.

Other than that, haven't been stung with anything else.

The best one was the Yashica Y35...they said to expect the unexpected and yes they sure were right.

Only risked two kickstarter projects -
Ondu pinhole camera delivered years ago - nicely made wooden 6x6 box.
Intrepid enlarger head, for 135 and 120 with LED controller, mounts on a copy stand. As they sell 4x5 plywood cameras , high confidence it will be delivered in a month or so.

Maybe made of wood with minimal electronics or mechanical engineering and manufacturing challenges = good chance of success ;-)

https://ondupinhole.com
https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/blog/intrepid-35mm-120-enlarger

The handful of things I've supported via Kickstarter or similar sites have come through ok, eventually. Usually later than scheduled, but that's sort of expected with startups or prototype-to-production work. I'm pretty conservative with what I support and I'm also easily distracted, so I'm much more likely to forget all about a project until six months later when it's either all done or has failed. As a filter it works out for me. :)

I sent a little bit of money to the Reflex project. I lost interest when it became a microelectronics project.

Back